N-Europe

The Last Story Official Topic

Hero-of-Time

Just got the invisibility dye, first thing to do is to make the girls almost topless.

Noone else done this?!

Also just tried using the manual attack. I just couldn't do it. At first I thought the automatic attack was a bit silly (still is in some battles when you actually want to flee/change your position close to an enemy) but it feels natural this far in.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completed! Absolutely loved it! It started off a bit slow but had real momentum by the last third, so much so i struggled to put it down. Had 30 hours on the clock at the end, waaaaay off H-o-T's 17 hours, finished most of the sidequests but still have the last four post-game chapters to clear up.

Really can't believe Nintendo actually released it over here, but so glad they did.

I must be so close to the end now.

I just finished Chapter 39 last night before I had to call it quits wish I could have kept on playing (but when the missus calls you to bed you don't say no unless you want to sleep on the sofa... and I don't want to sleep on the sofa :heh:)

Really enjoyed Chapters 36 to 38 loved finally getting to fight....

The Twins, was looking forward to facing them since they first showed. Enjoyed that fight again it took me awhile to figure out the right tactics, especially when one of them starts healling and you can't stop him... gah.

Was a bit disappointed though that I couldn't kill them.

And then Chapter 37....

Another Sentinal, damn and you start off with just Zeal and Calista, damn I took a few faints there. Thank god the others turned up. And loved the reaction when Mariana said "Let's kick some arse" I had the same surprised reaction as characters, haha.

And getting to summon the first Sentinal to help was awesome and thankfully then made the fight a little be different from the first sentinal fight.

Chapter 38 then really enjoyed that one, mwahahahahaha...

Started off weird with Zeal swimming in the ocean on his own but then finally getting to fight Jiril was awesome. I was getting into that fight so much as I was wanting to kick his ass since he first showed up.

I liked how he went insane too. And enjoyed the QTE moments but again I wish that was done with motion control for the Wiimote user, it would have added that little bit extra.

And then Chapter 39....

Damn that was an odd one. Loved the hallucination bit with Zeal in his childhood village. When I saw the first bandit appear as Lowel after defeat I was like "Wait... WTF?" and then you saw a flash of Syrenne in the 2nd and I didn't want to attack, was trying to see if there was something else I could do :heh:

The boss then, The Last Cocoon was good, first stage took him down pretty quick. The 2nd stage took a bit longer, not least because I missed in dropping the spike on his head and had to take him down the good old fashioned way, but got him in the end.

It was also interesting seeing something that related to one of the "Missable" chapters. Like...

Like having to fight that Vampire thing again in Chap 36 I think it was, if I hadn't done Chapter 20 that fight wouldn't have made any sense...

So I'm prolly nearing the end soon. (don't tell me exactly how close I am... I know how many chapters there are including epilogue but I don't know how many epilogue there are) But damnit I won't get the chance to finish this up till tomorrow evening at the earliest as I'm going out this evening, GAH.

Completed! Absolutely loved it! It started off a bit slow but had real momentum by the last third, so much so i struggled to put it down. Had 30 hours on the clock at the end, waaaaay off H-o-T's 17 hours, finished most of the sidequests but still have the last four post-game chapters to clear up.

Really can't believe Nintendo actually released it over here, but so glad they did.

I'm struggling to think of any way you could have doubled my time. ::shrug: It's not as if I rushed the game either. I let my mate borrow it last week and he finished it in 19 hours, again doing all the chapters and most the sidequests.

Glad to see a few of you enjoyed it. It's not an epic adventure by any means, but it's a very good one, even if it is stupidly easy. :D

Finish Xenoblade first Rummy, it's a class of game that should not be put aside mid way through, then start on this one.

Also @dazzybee... dude I not getting Last Story ok can let one slide but not getting Xenoblade too? Dazz I thought you were cool :(

Aye, but unfortunately I'm not too taken with it at the moment BECAUSE I already put it aside for skyward sword, and now want to get through this, which makes me want to rush Xenoblade, which I'd rather not do. I know I'm close to the end, but still, I just don't wanna rush all them quests etc

It's probably been mentioned, but due to having as yet to unseal my copy, I'm trying not to read too much due to spoilers etc, has anybody tried the online and can tell me how it is etc? Do you all have to play along the quest together or what?

AAAaannd it's done.

What a game that was! As I first set my foor into Lazulis City, I knew I would like this game, and the story completely blew me away. It took me 25 hours to finish it, and I'm not quite sure if I did all the chapters. I lost cound at some point. There surely are some side-quests I missed, of that I'm sure.

Great game, well worth the money. Not as good as Xenoblade Chronicles or Lost Odyssey, but a marvelous title in it's own right.

Completed it. I enjoyed it in the end too, although at times is was far too soppy for my liking.

It's a good game but for anyone that may have been thinking of getting either this or Xenoblade and not both, get Xenoblade for sure as it's much the better of the two.

Completed it. I enjoyed it in the end too, although at times is was far too soppy for my liking.

I shall echo @kav82 I would say if you could only play the one game between this and Xenoblade, then Xenoblade is by far the game you should get if it can only be the one. But if you can get two you this it fully worth it.

I got to like the characters more and more as the story went on, it was kind of slow to start and I do remember at the begining getting Zeal and Dagran confused (I also kept calling Dagran "Dunban" :heh:). But I got to like Zeal a fair bit but my two fav were certainly Lowell and Syrenne.

If by some stroke of fate this "Last Story" became a new "Final Fantasy" if there was a direct seqeul to this first game I would love to see Lowell and Syrenne take centre stage. Though I'd get the feeling if there was more "Last Stories" it could go similar to FF with a new game not really having any connection to the previous. Though at the very least I'd like to see a sequel take place in the same world... but a different part of the empire even if none of the original characters appeared.

One downside I had with the game was how it was so isolated.

Yes Lazulis was a big city and I did enjoy exploring every knock and cranny that I could and while there were many other locations that chapters took place in you never really "went" outside the city to get to them... you just "got there".

Yet there was always this sense of a huge world outside the confines of this relatively small island nation. Talk of how the land and forests were dying and I'm pretty sure it was mentioned a few times that Lazulis was actually only a small part of the "Empire" you always got hints that there was this great big world out there yet you never get to see it.

Possibley a missed oppurtunity or something calculated to allow for future entries in the new franchise?

The game did feel very condensed in that sense, while you were allowed to explore Lazulis and progress at your own pace you could always feel the game somewhat urging you to press on with the story. I guess that's the main difference here. With Xenoblade it was a game built around the world, so you were presented with this huge landscape to explore and do with as you pleased. With Last Story the focus is certainly on telling the story with the bit of exploration and a few side quests as little extras.

I did like the customisation of the characters armour. At the start it didn't seem that good. But as you gained new armour types and upgraded them and most importantly unlocked new colour dyes you could mix and match sytles and looks to how you wanted them to look.

Just wish at the start more dyes were open but once you start unlocking them it is fine. I LOVED how upgrading armour you could actually see the difference with new bits added on as you upgraded. And loved how you could still remove parts as you wished to create (or maintain) your own look and not lose any stats.

When I say I finished the game I do mean ALL the chapters including the Epilogue ones. (Time: 28 hours 2mins and level 64)

At first when I heard about those I wasn't sure how I'd feel about them, but I ended up thinking they were such a great touch. Not many games allow you to experience the game world AFTER you've beaten the final boss so that was very interesting seeing how the world/city changed after the events of your actions.

Not just seeing things in a little post-final-boss cutscene with small clips showing what people are up to then roll the credits. So actually getting to interact with this post-final-boss world was intriguing. Seeing the effects of all the previous chapters and the changes to some places. And getting to do a few other things/chapters too gave a little sense of really getting to see what happens "after the game". Do the heroes just vanish with the sunset or do they hang around to asset with things further. Told not in a little narrated voice over with some nice cutscenes but by you actually playing it. I really enjoyed that.

As well as the epilogue chapters (which I managed to find in order :D) I also found 2 side quests which I thought were good... one in particular

When I got control again one of the first things I did was warp to the "Underground Tomb" in the castle as I remembered nothing actually happened there in the story. Sure enough there was Therius waiting for a duel. Was a tough fight actually got KO'd once but beat him the 2nd time losing just 2 lives :D

Did Season 3 of the Arena too which was EPIC again.

Oh also I kept forgetting to mention how I loved the commentator for the Arena was named after me (Franklin) :D

Anyway I could go on for a LONG LONG post (if I've not done already) so I'll move onto some spoiler talk/tags about the final chapters.

Didn't want to number the chapter so as not to spoil it for anyone still playing.

But damn was that "The Last World" chapter epic or what?

The Bereth(sp?) fight to start with. The splitting up of the team, the battle with each of the twins.... Lowell getting hit in the balls, hahaha.... had me in stitches.

Then Lowell... oh poor Lowell, I actually got pissed off them he was "killed" (he was my fav character). I was so pissed when the other characters were telling me to go on ahead and leave them I wouldn't. I wanted to try take that bastard down.... but eventually I realised with just 3 of us that was a tough ask and moved on.

The fight with Ganon...erm I mean Zangurak then was awesome. The first part was a bit easy and I was hoping there was a second part so glad there was. Found his 2nd part a bit harder, took me a while to work out how to get his sword to break his sheild and once I worked it out, took a bit longer to actually do it. Was going all out on concentration fighting, defending, commanding the others. Didn't KO and beat him :D

While I actually thought that was a good fight to end things one I did get a feeling there might be more.... though I did NOT expect it would be Dagran. He;d been missing so long while I expected I'd have to fight him I thought maybe he wasn't gonna reappear till the epilogue chapters.

And as much as I enjoyed the Zangurak fight my god was Dagrans fight 100 times more epic. Firstly the music was just bloody blood pumping AWESOME and the battle itself was epic. How many forms did he have? At the most I expected 2 and every time I thought I'd beat him he;d just keep on coming, loved it.

Probably one of the shortest RPG's ever and while it does have some faults (like it being short) I loved it. Things like story and characters took a bit longer to get going (and likable) than they should have but in the end it worked out very well I thought. And the battle system while starting fairly simple and seemed "button bashy" became fairly (and nicely) complex and strategic as you learned new moves and each boss pretty much required you to think and be aware of all your abilities to be able to win. Don't think there is a single boss you could just blindly bash away at and hope to come out on top of :D

So Online anyone?

On (what I think) is the last boss. Proving to be a major ballache. I'm amazed I've gone through the whole game with the automatic battle controls.

EDIT: I think I may have done it, a few extra levels gained via some nice training =D

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Ok I'm coming up to what seems to be the end of chapter 39. It has actually gotten a lot better now (I'm actually seeing the Game Over screen now! :D) Story has picked up the pace, difficulty has (finally!) risen and the new gameplay mechanics/enemy types keep coming in. I love Chapter 39's boss battle!

I'm probably near the end now (21 odd hours) and I am enjoying it a lot more than I did towards the start. Glad I stuck with it. I think I'm gonna remember this game as one that is filled to the brim with amazing gameplay concepts and ideas, but one that was largely held back by its incredibly easy difficulty (oh and a great looking game with a piss poor framerate, but that's not a big deal really)

Funnily enough, while this game is arguably just as linear as Final Fantasy 13, I don't really mind at all. It offers plenty of freedom in the battles to go about as you please and constantly bombards you with fresh ideas and mechanics in battle. It's just a shame that the low difficulty (and the ho-hum story & characters) is the one gaping flaw that holds the game back.

Edited by Dcubed

You can always tell you're reaching the end of a "traditional" RPG when it moves from fantasy to futuristic. As soon as you see floating cubes and bright lines making veins in structures it's almost over.

Lol it's so true. Not even Xenoblade and Skies of Arcadia escape this trope :laughing:

OK I'm done! (23 odd hours and it's a good length. Not too long, not too short, just about right) That final boss battle was absolutely Kirby levels of bullshit difficulty spike (dead easy game, fuck off hard boss!), took me forever to beat it! That was awesome!

It's a game that really is better in its 2nd half than it's first, but never truly gets over its two fundamental problems - it's dull characters/story (with the sole exceptions of Syrenne and Jirall) and it's far too easy difficulty. A shame, considering how good the battle system is.

It wont go down as a classic, but it's easily one of the best "traditional" JRPGs this generation (barring the one elephant in the room that we all know of by now...)

Right! Time to hop online! :D

Edited by Dcubed

You can always tell you're reaching the end of a "traditional" RPG when it moves from fantasy to futuristic. As soon as you see floating cubes and bright lines making veins in structures it's almost over.

Did ToS do that? Or did you get the "bright lines" and floating stuff kinda early? Like at the Ranches?

Did ToS do that? Or did you get the "bright lines" and floating stuff kinda early? Like at the Ranches?

Yes it did. Right at the end of the game (and also at the end of the first half of the game on Sylvarant. So it signified the end of that part too!)

Yes it did. Right at the end of the game (and also at the end of the first half of the game on Sylvarant. So it signified the end of that part too!)

Ah yeah I knew it was at the end of it but was trying to remember if it happened well before the end too. (Note to self, replay ToS soon)