N-Europe

Awesome stuff thread

MoogleViper

I also thought it was blue too. Also I can't believe that pokemon is nearly 20 years old, feels like yesterday it was 10 years old. My friend introduced me to a new band and I really like them. Tickets to see them live is only £9 which I think is awesome.

[..]

I do wonder if the camera will take off, but it's impressive none the less.

As much as I love the tech, and this new camera, it definitely won´t. Not until image quality is on par with regular cameras, especially at that price ($ 1500).

There´s good news though, the original is now cheaper.

whut dat camera all abowt Gowfer#/

Simplified version (Gowfer to follow with detailed version):

It take in enough light that you can focus on different parts of the image, and even change the angle slightly, after taking the picture.

I think it's remarkable.

In the most basic terms, the Lytro camera is a camera than can be focused after the photo was taken. So you just point it at something, take the photo and then choose what to focus on later on.

Due to the way the photo works, it also appears that you can slightly change the angle as well, although I've never seen that before today, so it may be a new feature added recently.

The positive:

The image quality will get better (assuming it doesn't go bust)

Price will come down

The drawbacks I can see:

Requires special software to display/embed on websites.

Can't be printed (at least the refocusing part cant)

People may just see it as a gimmick

I think the best use of it is for people to take a photo, choose the focus in the editing software, then save it to a normal photo. It's just too much hassle to view it with refocusing abilities still enabled, what with the viewing software required and the user having to actually do something. As a viewer, I'd much rather not have to focus the photographer's image and just have it showing a good photo to begin with.

A lady and her partner reveal to her Dad that he's going to be a Grandad:

His wife had passed away 20 years ago and he's been asking for grandkids since his daughter got married.

Now if you'll excuse me, I believe my estrogen is showing. I'm off to be incredibly unmanly for a moment.

This video has been doing the rounds on Facebook. Normally I ignore stuff like this but this one is actually pretty awesome and highlights the negative side of social media. I happen to know a lot of people like this; people who spend their whole lives on the internet (ironic as I'm posting this on here) and wonder why they aren't happy/in love etc.

kudos.

http://blog.petflow.com/this-is-a-video-everyone-needs-to-see-for-the-first-time-in-my-life-im-speechless/?utm_source=ds&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=ds

This video has been doing the rounds on Facebook.

Clearly the best way to share a video saying that we're all spending too much time on social media.

Why bother changing when you can just share a video about changing with all of your friends.

Yeah I think that videos a bit shit.

I'm with my fiancée because of social media. And have made a lot of friends online.

The shorter video would have been "Don't spend too much time online".

Also, it's funny that it goes "None of this happened because he didn't look up".

Also none of this happened because it didn't happen.

Yup, met my girlfriend on social media (dating site) and the reason I got in contact with her was because of our mutual love of a certain YouTube series.

People who still shun the internet are, quite frankly, dinosaurs. Either that or just think they're better than everyone else. This generation's version of "Oh, I don't even own a TV".

Yeah I think that videos a bit shit.

I'm with my fiancée because of social media. And have made a lot of friends online.

Yup, met my girlfriend on social media (dating site) and the reason I got in contact with her was because of our mutual love of a certain YouTube series.

People who still shun the internet are, quite frankly, dinosaurs. Either that or just think they're better than everyone else. This generation's version of "Oh, I don't even own a TV".

Why do people always have this knee-jerk reaction to anyone saying anything slightly negative about technology?

The point of the video isn't that social media, the internet and anything vaguely techy is bad. It's that (some) people are too engrossed in it to enjoy the moment, and what's going on around them. People filming music gig on a crappy camera phone, and not even seeing the gig in the first place. Hanging out with friends, but never tearing their eyes from a screen.

Don't get me wrong, the video is shit, and it's an old message. But the message is still valid.

Why do people always have this knee-jerk reaction to anyone saying anything slightly negative about technology?

It's not the criticism of technology I object to (I think that technology, like all things, should be used in moderation), it's the preachy, holier than thou attitude of most of the people who make that sort of statement. They make out that their live is some cavalcade of bumping into strangers whilst trying to find their way to the nearest Starbucks, then ending up making friends/sleeping with/marrying said stranger, then spending the evening writing snarky observations on society (on their blog, obviously) and how it's missing out on their version of an ideal life.

I'd be willing to bet that the people who make these sort of things are every bit as lonely as the people they are trying to "educate".

Plus, these videos make the assumption that everyone is glued to their devices. I can't actually remember the last time I saw a "yoof" looking at their phone. My normal observation of the younger generation is how much all the males look like a generic member of One Direction and how they're bouncing between tables in McDonalds and seem to know everyone in the place.

That video certainly opens eyes. For me however, it doesn't affect me as much as i thought it would. Yes i do use my phone a lot, and maybe reducing my time online may be a step forward. But it does make me look around and see many people using their phones on trains, buses, waiting in line for something. Heck i've even seen kids leave their groups and instantly get their phones out and go on the likes of Facebook or Twitter.

As Moogle said, the message is still valid today.