Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2012

Retro_Link

Kimi on Top Gear

---

I have to say the 2hr Sky Preview Show was fantastic! Dammit!

Ah well!

Videos...

Sky Sports Legends Series...

New Driver Talk *love the drivers profile poses*

& Webber/Alonso Eau Rouge Slow-mo Analysis!... This is brilliant!

Jenson Questions

BBC Jake and Lewis

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Retro_Link - Yeah that track racing did look brilliant fun.

And Chris Evans face when Maye asked if he could drive his California...

Kimi said more in the interview than I had expected. Funny I didn't notice that Lotus were sponsored by anti dandruff shampoo :p

Absolutely loving this, the helmet cam that Webber is driving around with is awesome - I hope they keep that up for the races/season going on.

Schumacher seems to be going well at the moment, Red Bulls a little slow. Obviously P1 means nothing though. Can't wait for qualifying.

Australia is always a great opener but it's rarely an indicator of form, even after the race is over. Still, the early practice results plus the testing form adds up to a season with no one team dominating, although Mclaren are looking strong out of the gate. Can't wait for qualy, won't be able to watch it until tomorrow evening, I'll be on tenterhooks until then.

That was an excellent qualifying session, you guys without Sky will be sure to enjoy the highlights show on the Beeb.

1 Hamilton, Mclaren

2 Button, Mclaren

3 Grosjean, Lotus

4 M Schumacher, Mercedes

5 Webber, Red Bull

6 Vettel, Red Bull

7 Rosberg, Mercedes

8 Maldonado, Williams

9 Hulkenburg, Force India

10 Ricciardo, Torro Rosso

12 Alonso, Ferrari

16 Massa, Ferrari

18 Raikkonen, Lotus

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Unfortunately Melbourne isn't an accurate indicator of where the teams are at right now. Would love it if there wasn't much difference though.

The Ferrari just looks awful to drive right now, There is no real aero performance, what has gone so horribly wrong there? Also Raikkonen just seemed to have a bad day today, Grosjean has showed the car has the potential to be right up there, if anyone can get the most out of the car it'd be Raikkonen, hope he can get some points on the board tomorrow and salvage something this weekend. With seven different teams in the top 10 I look forward to seeing how things will change during the race, the Williams has seemed to take a big step forward, but I wonder why Paul Di Resta was off it today when Hulkenburg has gotten the car to 9th on the grid?

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Ahh crap... had a feeling that might happen today! :p

Oh well... a great drive from Grosjean to show there's some great pace in the car, even though as @Emerald Emblem says, Austrailia is pretty unique.

Some great drives from the [maybe not so?] 'Midfield' today!!

Bit of a shocker from Ferrari today, but I look forward to seeing Alonso, Massa and Kimi fighting their way (hopefully) through the field!

I'd love it if al this hype over Vettel this last [two] year was purely down to the incredible ammount of downforce the 2011 car had... I always felt that was kinda the case. It's nice to see Mark in front of him here.

Good showing from Schumi [and Rosberg], the car looks good.

The McLaren is looking pretty great right now, that was an EPIC inital Q3 lap from Lewis!!

Looks very very likely McLaren will pick up a win tomorrow.

But I'm hoping for a classic 'anything can happen' unpredictable race tomorrow!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Just watched the qualy and wow, really quite surprised at how the field shook out. Fantastic for Grosjean, really showed what a balls-up Kimi's qualy was, hopefully he'll be fighting his way through tomorrow. Amazed the Red Bulls could only (and I use "only" guardedly) take 5th & 6th, it'll be fascinating to see what their race pace is. Delighted to see Williams take a massive lurch forward from last year. What an absolutely scorching lap from Hamilton, he blew the rest away and it was all Button could do to keep himself anywhere near. Absolutely delighted.

My big question for tomorrow - can Schumi finally get his first podium since coming back? Fingers crossed the Merc keeps coming good.

Pretty satisfied with the BBC coverage too. Still got that great sense of fun & polish and the new commentator seems to know his stuff, although I think it'll take him and DC a couple of races to find their rapport together. Can't wait for the race tomorrow even though it'll only be the "extended highlights".

Yeah a podium for Schumi is definately on the cards!

---

I too thought the BBC coverage was good.

Ben Edwards seems good and worked well with DC for their first show together.

The new intro is pretty bad, and I'd rather they'd added 5 mins of pre/post Qually coverage, than show that longwinded 'story of 2011 song' we got (*point?*), but the show still retains it's quality.

And it's nice actually get to see some Natalie Pinkham on screen this year as she waits alongside for interviews! :p Louise Goodman seems to be back in F1 aswell.

Well that was certainly a very entertaining opener, I hope more than ever that the uniqueness of Melbourne isn't what made it so good. First 10 or so laps were pretty good, we lost Schumacher and Groejean in that period, had a bit of a lull for a while then in the last 20 laps things burst back into life with the Safety car but the final lap, so much happened, Maldonado blowing 6th place for Williams crashing trying to overtake Alonso, Perez and Rosberg coming together, the latter retiring and the former barely getting 8th, Kobayashi and Kimi Profiting from that to get 6th and 7th respectively, Ricciardo and Di Resta nicking the last points from Vergne on the last few corners and pit straight. Hamilton again losing a place by sheer misfortune with the safety car, he was lucky to get 3rd because Webber pressed him all the way after, so Red Bull do still have the race pace, Mercedes don't so the Mclaren is the best all round package. Bring on Malaysia I say, here's hoping things are just as close as today.

For 1 weekend at least Sauber are 3rd in the constructors ahead of Ferrari

1 Button, Mclaren

2 Vettel, Red Bull

3 Hamilton, Mclaren

4 Webber, Red Bull

5 Alonso, Ferrari

6 Kobayashi, Sauber

7 Raikkonen, Lotus

8 Perez, Sauber

9 Ricciardo, Torro Rosso

10 Di Resta, Force India

Edited by Emerald Emblem

What a fantastic start to the season!! Not sure I've enjoyed a race in Aus more than that one, there was so much action up and down the field! :)

Firstly the BBC coverage was great, in no way did it feel like a highlights show, if anything it was just good they didn't show the Safety Car laps!

Also, DC and Ben Edwards were great!!

More than happy with the coverage!

Was there not meant to be a Forum after every race?

Great drive from Kimi to finish 7th from 17th! :D

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Lewis was really unlucky to have Vettel jump him at the safety car.

Nice to see Webber looking competitive, though sort your starts out man! :p

Meh Button.

I'm just pleased all the cars look to have some pace in them.

Ferrari, Mercedes, Williams, Sauber, Toro Rosso all put in some great racing action!

This really does look like it could be an all time classic season!!

And only 1 week to wait for Malaysia!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

I only just got into F1 last month, I was so hyped for this new season. I watched some of the laps of the Australian GP this morning, but im going to watch the rest later on. But I must say the few laps that I watched were really exciting. Don't know why but I'm already liking the McLaren and Force India teams and Kobayashi.

Also I wanted to ask about this 'safety car' incident, how could it affect the racer this much? for example Hamilton. I heard the comments from Sebastien & Lewis after the GP, and they were both explaining how it had affected them. since I have seen a few highlights that had shown car incidents from last season, is there any ruling about the safety car? like what the drivers can/can't do?

Exciting stuff!

Ever since watching "Racing with the Hamiltons" I've become acutely aware of how Lewis treats himself if something doesn't quite go to plan for him and I think he was too hard on himself after the race. His start wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. Neither he or his team made any serious mistakes but one or two small things seemed to go against him, with the safety car and I suspect maybe his setup wasn't quite where he wanted it to be on the day. He made a joke about being prone to being in the wrong place at the wrong time and I immediately thought of his dad standing severely by as Nic came back from his crash on that corner he wasn't quite getting.

I think he needs to stop over-analyzing himself and let go of the high standards he clearly has for himself - I think he's putting himself under more pressure then is needed and if he can let go of some of that his natural talent will be allowed to shine through. As it was he had a difficult day but still a positive one - on the harder tire he was still keeping pace with their most likely rivals on the soft and we saw in quali he's lost none of his speed. Here's hoping he'll be smiling more at the next round.

Anyway, Button's come on leaps and bounds since joining Mclaren, his experience is really what set him apart and once again he managed his tires perfectly, a well deserved win. I think that Red Bull is being flattered by both Vettel and Webber, the way Vettel was jiggling it through the last corner really makes me suspect that the driver was vastly out-driving the car. Ferrari's are difficult to read, horrible qualifying but decent race pace, we'll be able to say for sure in Malaysia. Was gutted for Maldonaldo, really want to see Williams have a decent year, looks like their revamps are making the difference though. Kimi did an incredible job, I don't remember him being that fierce. Maybe a couple of years of deforesting Europe with Citroen's has done him good.

I only just got into F1 last month, I was so hyped for this new season. I watched some of the laps of the Australian GP this morning, but im going to watch the rest later on. But I must say the few laps that I watched were really exciting. Don't know why but I'm already liking the McLaren and Force India teams and Kobayashi.

Also I wanted to ask about this 'safety car' incident, how could it affect the racer this much? for example Hamilton. I heard the comments from Sebastien & Lewis after the GP, and they were both explaining how it had affected them. since I have seen a few highlights that had shown car incidents from last season, is there any ruling about the safety car? like what the drivers can/can't do?

Exciting stuff!

Welcome to the fold! And you've got a good eye, Kobayashi is somewhat of a talisman for all fans, he's always a thrill to watch. You came in at a good time too, looks like it's going to be a banner year.

I'll let somebody else explain the safety car, I've had a large glass of wine and I don't think my senses are quite about me at the moment. Maybe I'll give it a go later. :heh:

@\-Dem0\- :D

What got you into F1 last month, did you just decide you'd give it a go this year and started following winter testing?

Tbh I'm a bit confused as to what happened with this safety car.

I think it was because Jenson and Lewis had to slow down through Sector 1 (where Petrov stopped the car), where as Vettel didn't because he pitted... maybe?... therefor he didn't loose as much time as Lewis overall and came out in front of him...? It was a strange one.

Edited by Retro_Link

Tbh I'm a bit confused as to what happened with this safety car.

I think it was because Jenson and Lewis had to slow down through Sector 1 (where Petrov stopped the car), where as Vettel didn't because he pitted... maybe?... therefor he didn't loose as much time as Lewis overall and came out in front of him...? It was a strange one.

Pretty sure it was because Vettel was allowed to bolt it down the pit entrance so that he made up some time over Hamilton and Button who had to obey the Safety car speed limit.

I'd love to see Lewis and Kimi in the same team.

They've always seemed to get on well, know each other from McLaren, Lewis followed Kimi before he entered F1 etc..

I think he'd be really good for Lewis, and Lewis could learn alot from him in terms of Kimi's no nonsense approach to F1, don't let the pressure/politics and media circus of F1 get to you. Just shrug it off and get on with doing what you love!

3E3NH.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!