NEurope
Retro_Link

Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure

Keep tapping the button underneath the gauge at the same time the light blinks until the gauge locks in place and it goes to the next colour.

I've finished the main story in about 7 hours but there's quite a lot of unlockables to keep me busy :D

thanks dude

I've finished the main story in about 7 hours but there's quite a lot of unlockables to keep me busy :D

I finished it the other day too. Found the second half of the main game a bit of a drag as I was loosing intrest in the story, but now I'm hooked replaying all the minigames over and over :grin:

Have you tried playing any of the rhythm games on 'Hard' mode yet? Can't notice any diffrence myself. Did you get all the Phantom Notes? I have, but was under the impression a new chapter or rhythm game would be unlocked for this.

I finished it the other day too. Found the second half of the main game a bit of a drag as I was loosing intrest in the story, but now I'm hooked replaying all the minigames over and over :grin:

Have you tried playing any of the rhythm games on 'Hard' mode yet? Can't notice any diffrence myself. Did you get all the Phantom Notes? I have, but was under the impression a new chapter or rhythm game would be unlocked for this.

Personally I found the 2nd half more interesting than the 1st!

I haven't tried Hard mode yet, still trying to do the full complete challenges on all the stages.

Have you talked to the old man outside of Raphael's apartment after getting all the Phantom Notes? You should unlock the bonus chapter in Gallery Mode after talking to him.

So I just finished it and... well... it's a game of ups and downs for sure. The integration of its inspiration is (mostly) well done; but as I said before, it isn't as good as the sum of its parts.

I'm not gonna repeat what I said before, so here are the rest of my thoughts.

There's FAAARRR too much recycling of rhythm games. Though there's 50 in total, if you discount the repeats, there's only really around 12-15. When you have to fight the Chevaliers Diabaloque for the 5th time, it starts to grate on you.

Oh and some games are outright poorly designed (I'm looking at you R:33, that double dog game is utter bullshit and unplayable without the guide, by which point you're just matching patterns rather than playing to the rhythm!)

Story wise, it has no idea what it's doing. It starts off somewhat believable, then by the end it goes into full on JRPG nonsense (complete with Floating Neon Space Cubes! - that's how you know you're coming to the end ;) ) I mean, Layton is pretty ridiculous (and I do like general craziness) but this game's story just takes the piss completely 01laugh.gif

Though it sounds like I'm really down on it, I did still really enjoy it. It could've used some extra polish, (especially any of Charlie's games, the timing and animation is completely wonky!) but still well worth playing.

So I downloaded the demo for this and have just played it.

WHY IS THIS GAME NOT IN MY LIFE.

Having loved the only other rhythm game I've ever played (Elite Beat Agents), I'm shocked at myself for only coming across this now.

I loved every second of the demo. And now I am on a mission to buy it for a good price! Although truth be told, I'm happy to pay full price!!

It looks great, is fun, I was smiling all throughout playing it and I just want to keep playing more.

It's games like this that the 3ds is made for I think. You cannot get a gaming experience like this on another console!

Will post more impressions when I (inevitably) pick it up!! :yay:

The cheapest price for Rhythm Thief at the moment is £29.86 from ShopTo.net which is a whopping 9p cheaper than Amazon and Zavvi ;) If you're gonna buy it online then I highly recommend getting it from ShopTo since they have amazingly fast delivery speeds, if you buy it today you will definitely get it by Wednesday, or even Tuesday if you're quick enough!

http://www.shopto.net/3DS/VIDEO%20GAMES/3DSRH01-Rhythm%20Thief%20and%20the%20Emperors%20Treasure.html

There's the link to the game on ShopTo.

I'm really stuck on R:31 (I think that's what it is, I've refused to play it for a week...), the one with the planes you have to shoot down. Any tips? I just can't work out how the hell to get past it... :(

I'm really stuck on R:31 (I think that's what it is, I've refused to play it for a week...), the one with the planes you have to shoot down. Any tips? I just can't work out how the hell to get past it... :(

Like yourself, I was stuck on that one for ages, and took a long break from the game because of it. f00had posted this on the previous page :-

I just got up to this mission, you have to turn the 3DS like a steering wheel to get it to aim properly and keep an eye out for the circles on the enemies. When the circle gets smaller and overlaps with the lock on target that's when you have to press A.

Don't forget to buy the item that costs 20 coins from the shop too, I forget it's name, but that's the most useful one. If you keep failing, just keep trying, took me many attempts, but there are loads of great rhythm games to play after that attrocious one.

Like yourself, I was stuck on that one for ages, and took a long break from the game because of it. f00had posted this on the previous page :-

Don't forget to buy the item that costs 20 coins from the shop too, I forget it's name, but that's the most useful one. If you keep failing, just keep trying, took me many attempts, but there are loads of great rhythm games to play after that attrocious one.

Cheers! I'll give it another go tonight.

It takes a while but soon you'll learn the rhythm of the song and when to press A which should make it easier to aim properly. Good luck!

This is the first time I've truly enjoyed a rhythm game. It's so fun to play that I ordered Elite Beat Agents for the DS. If that game is just half as good as Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure, then I'm almost certain I'll be in for a treat.

I haven't played Rhythm Thief, but there's no way it's as good as the Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan series.

I haven't played Rhythm Thief, but there's no way it's as good as the Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan series.

Oh, you'd be surprised...

(...Play Rhythm Thief!)

It's strange. This game became my instant fave 3DS game after I had played through only the first two chapters. By the time I had reached chapter 8 it had become my least favourite 3DS game. I just don't find the use of the gyroscope fun at all, it's infuriating. Damn, I almost hate this game with a passion now haha, if only the demo had included one of the gyroscope chapters. :weep:

I haven't played Rhythm Thief, but there's no way it's as good as the Elite Beat Agents.

Aye, I have to agree with you although I've only finished Elite Beat Agents mission 1 and 2. The controls feel much easier without the use of gyroscope thus making this game much more fun and engaging for me at least.

Edited by cvl

So I downloaded the demo for this and have just played it.

WHY IS THIS GAME NOT IN MY LIFE.

Having loved the only other rhythm game I've ever played (Elite Beat Agents), I'm shocked at myself for only coming across this now.

I loved every second of the demo. And now I am on a mission to buy it for a good price! Although truth be told, I'm happy to pay full price!!

It looks great, is fun, I was smiling all throughout playing it and I just want to keep playing more.

It's games like this that the 3ds is made for I think. You cannot get a gaming experience like this on another console!

Will post more impressions when I (inevitably) pick it up!! :yay:

Same here. I was never interested in this game, until I tried the demo. I bought it the day after. :yay: It's way better than I had dared to expect! No GotY-material, but a nice little rhythm-game. Though you can question Phantom R's professionalism: revealing your secret identity to a cute girl mere minutes after they meet, and even inviting her at his home? Madness! Superheroes/-villians around the world do not approve...

No... a sequel has not been announced, just wanted to point out that this is £13.74 delivered at BlockBuster - first time I've seen it reduced online, and I'm sure there were quite a few here waiting for a price cut!

Edited by welsh_gamer

No... a sequel has not been announced, just wanted to point out that this is £13.74 delivered at BlockBuster - first time I've seen it reduced online, and I'm sure there were quite a few here waiting for a price cut!

I love you.

I've wanted this for so long.

Thanks a lot Welsh! :hug:

Hope you aren't as disappointed with it as I was, @Aneres11 :hmm: It was pretty decent but I kinda expected better..

Well I downloaded the demo like a year ago and meant to pick it up but it was so expensive everywhere. But I loved the demo and was dead set on getting it when the price dropped. And at this price it's too good to pass!

Hopefully I'm not disappointed though but will post my thoughts when I get it!

So how are you finding the game @Aneres11?

I'm up to chapter 7 now, and have to say I'm really glad that I didn't get this game when it launched/at full price. Yeah, just not feeling it at all... For a game with rhythm in its title, there doesn't actually seem to be much rhythm. :hmm:

So many of the games repeat, and quite a few of them are just plain awful! :nono: Especially ones that require moving the 3DS. icon13.gif

It seems that if you've played the demo for this, you've already experienced the best of the full game. ::shrug:

Totally hit the nail on the head @RedShell.

Couldn't put it better myself.

In terms of where I am with the game - it's currently on the shelves of GAME somewhere as I traded it in a few days after I bought it.

Really, really disappointed.

As you point out, the demo makes you think it's a game full of rhythm goodness, but the actual fact is it's more rythm mixed with Professor Layton! There's just too much running about from place to place and text to scroll through and people to speak to.

I also found that some of the rhythm games were a little hit and miss and didn't work as well as I thought they would.

Normally with a good rhythm game, I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I get a level / stage exactly right (HarmoKnight, Elite Beat Agents etc), this just didn't have that same feeling / draw.

It is such a shame as I had great hopes for it but ended up being very disappointed.

I could have spent more time with it to see it through a little more, but kinda glad I didn't hearing you haven't had much joy either.

Good thing is it was only £13 from Blockbuster, and GAME's trade in is £17!! So you can at least recoup some funds and put it towards something else as I did!

Shame you guys don't like it, I really enjoyed the rhythm games and story :D

@RedShell At least wait until you see the Space Channel 5 and Samba De Amigo rhythm games before trading it in. For Space Channel 5 you have to speak to a Rhythm Thief impostor and for Samba De Amigo you have to speak to a Mexican looking guy.

I nabbed it off of someone on here and agree somewhat with RedShell. Whilst I might have seen it through a bit more(as I was compelled a bit more to do so by the story) - some of it felt tired after a while. The most memorable game for me(maybe because I got it perfect AND because it was lovely) was the violinny one. There's lots of 'optional' stuff I haven't done, though I tried to collect many of the sounds. Forgot where I eventually got to but I remember thinking it was close to the big end, should really go dig it out again and see what's up - or at least get me some trade in credit elsewhere!

I was somewhat disappointed with the game too, but enjoyed it a lot more when I had all 50 rhythm games unlocked at the end, and could replay them and beat high scores at my leisure.