N-Europe

2 Marvel Films For 2014

Murr

Walt Disney Pictures, the parent company of Marvel, issued a press release today announcing the release dates of their film slate through 2014. Among the releases are two unspecified Marvel movies.

The first Marvel movie is slated for wide release May 16, 2014, while the second unnamed project is dated for wide release on June 27, 2014. What two Marvel movies in-development seem most likely to bow in 2014?

Disney%20Release%20Schedule%202014.png

Our money is on Thor 2, which Games of Thrones' Brian Kirk was recently reported as being in talks to direct, and Doctor Strange, a longtime pet project of Marvel Studios honcho Kevin Feige. Both projects are actively being scripted right now. Thor 2 is currently sated for a 2013 bow (as is Iron Man 3), but perhaps it will be pushed a year.

There are some other possibilities as well. Maybe it's Captain America 2 or The Avengers 2, or perhaps non-sequels such as the oft-mentioned Hawkeye solo film or the long-gestating Black Panther and Luke Cage films.

There's also been recent buzz on feature versions of such cosmic Marvel titles as Guardians of the Galaxy and Strikeforce: Morituri.

Sound off in the Comments below about which Marvel movie you'd love to see hit the screen in 2014!

UPDATED: Some readers have suggested that one 2014 release could finally be the long-gestating Ant-Man movie from director Edgar Wright. We shall see.

Source - IGN

I Disagree with them, Surely not Thor 2 as that had a release date announced recently of 2013 didn't it?

Yeah Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were the two confirmed for 2013, and with The Avengers releasing in 2012, we're not getting a sequel the following year.

So one of those two will definately be Captain America 2! :yay:

Can Ant Man really hold down his own movie?... I'm not sure Black Widow/Hawkeye can either, though maybe combined? and I'm not liking Dr Strange, so I'd personally be hoping for maybe something different... Black Panther?... does he have an decent story to tell.

Ewww. I don't like Black Panther. I find him and his story a bit annoying. But I guess it is translatable.

Antman I think could be great. Its being written by Joe Cornish (and Edgar Wright as well I think) and directed by Edgar Wright, so it is in good hands. It could introduce some EXTREMELY crucial Avengers threads, and depending on how they do it it could be really great I think! Hank Pym is one of the best Marvel characters. He is deep.

Is that the one where they all battle Hulk at the end... I've seen some of that one on youtube.

Is there no chance of Marvel getting the Spiderman rights back?

Not unless Sony don't make one for (X number of months/years). Sony just announced ASM2 though. :p

Aaaaand, no EMH is a fully fledged Avengers cartoon series. It is really really awesome, I think you'd like it.

Just a bit sick of the "What haven't we done?" attitude and the way they're churning them out. They make a bunch of money but I think they're all just getting a bit buried under each other now. Few of them have a truly classic, timeless feel. Most people would say to me "relax, they're just popcorn flicks where you can shut your brain off for a bit" but it'd be nice if more of them had slightly higher aspirations.

I like the fact they've actually managed to pull of Avengers (as a thing, might be a bad film). The individual films are entertaining, and not BAD, but yes, kinda "...". And I'm a comics fan.

At least they're of a much higher standard than they were earlier in the decade, generally. Green Lantern was a bit crap but you deal.

The Batman films are the only ones that feel like 'Films', not 'Superhero Film no.x'. X-Men as a series kinda comes after that, they try/ied to be more sophisticated I suppose.

I wish at the mimimum Marvel and Sony could make a deal that would allow Marvel to put some Spiderman references in their films, even if they can't have him as a main character. Like in the Cap America thread someone suggested it would have been awesome to see a shadow of Spiderman swinging in the background when Cap wakes up in the future/present.

• 2 months later...

Bugger, seems like Dr Strange will be going ahead at some point... I just think he looks stupid!

Not necessarily one of the 2014 films (one of which has to be Cap 2) but anyway...

This 'Phase 2' is surely gonna be HUGE isn't it?

If he means everything that's gonna lead up to Avengers 2... we'll have Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Cap 2, Ant Man, Dr Strange and who knows what else... all before that movie!!

Edited by Retro_Link

Mentions of people like Black Panther and Doc Strange are nice, it'd be good to see them take some of the less mainstream characters for a film! Guess they gotta bring in the bucks though, and they can't easily do that without a popular subject.

On the subject of there being too many super hero films, it's just sort of emerged as its own genre really, so I don't think it's fair to say there's 'too many'.