NEurope
Ellmeister

Cringe-worthy words or phrases

'Jokes' annoys me.

The phrase, "Mate, this going to be jokes!" makes so little sense that it angers and offends me whenever I hear it.

YES! That's so overused now. I don't really like the word "totes" for totally or "Obvi" for obvious or when people literally speak text speech, that can annoy me. I don't mind if it's once or twice but when they actually put it in conversation, it's annoying! Like you'll be talking about something and the other person suddenly says "O.M.G, that's wicked, I R.O.F.L'd"

The one thing I hate is the street slang (I don't know the name but heard it's proper name is called Jafaican). I just can't stand it and a lot of the people who talk like that can actually speak properly yet they choose to talk like it because they think it makes them sound cool. Like someone would say "I be going down mandem's yard with my new crepes, innit" or something. It makes me laugh when they use the word crepes for shoes considering they're pancakes...

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of banter!

The most incorrectly, over-used word in the English language is "literally". Listen to conversations when out and about and you'll hear it all the time used in occasions where it isn't used properly. Tv presenters are awful for it too.

Some British words... I hate the word "arse", especially when inserted into typical American phrases. Kick arse, jackarse. I also hate "knickers" and "snog".

Banter is awful.

Crimbo is worse, whoever mentioned that the page back. In a single word, the happy atmosphere is completely erased and visions of gurning old smelly men from a generic part of England* are brought to mind.

*because I'm Scottish with no concept of English geography.

'At the end of the day...'

...it's a terrible phrase. :/

"Either or"

It's so stupid. The "or" is redundant. Just saying "either" would make sense.

"You can't have your cake and eat it."

What a completely and utterly ridiculous saying. What is it meant to mean? Why would I have cake if I can't eat it? The point of cake is to fucking eat, so I wouldn't fucking have some stupid fucking cake if I couldn't fucking eat it.

Stupid twats.

Tuneage.

Crimbo.

Awkward.

(As a joke)

Jokes.

Yeah, but no.

Essentially anything that may be said on Radio 1.

Or E4.

EPIC MASH UP!!!! TUNES!!!! IM A MASSIVE CUNT[/Moyles]

What a completely and utterly ridiculous saying. What is it meant to mean? Why would I have cake if I can't eat it? The point of cake is to fucking eat, so I wouldn't fucking have some stupid fucking cake if I couldn't fucking eat it.

Stupid twats.

I can't tell if that's a joke or not.

LOL that guy's a LEGEND!

LOL! That guy's a LEG-END!

HAHAA.

Also I agree with Shorty with the word arse.

Just... sounds wrong.

But then saying "ass" out loud makes me feel silly.

Like I'm trying to be an yank.

Edited by Wesley
Automerged Doublepost

I'm very seriously dyslexic and I actually get offended when I'm told I'm a "retard" (a word which when used by someone tends to be the last conversation I have with them) for getting words mixed up when writing.

I don't get things like your or you're mixed up, I just write the wrong word. Like accept and except and stuff like that. I know the difference, I'm not stupid, but because of my dyslexia it's incredibly hard for me to spot typos I've made. Sometimes I'll want to say "bother" and I'll type "boyfriend" or I'll want to say "snake" and I type "snack". When I start writing a word... sometimes I finish it differently and it's a genuine problem.

So while it can annoy you if people don't use English correctly, just be a little kinder and pointing these things out. Because genuinely it upsets me being called an idiot for having this problem, when anyone that knew me in real life probably wouldn't use that word to describe me.

I haven't read the rest of the threat, but isn't this just about cringe-worthy words and phrases?

No one is calling anyone else stupid or retarded for using them.

It's just a preference thing.

Some people probably hate the word preference.

I'm not stupid for saying it though.

I'm a dick for typing like this though.

Saying something is "chill" annoys the fuck out of me.

Cockney rhyming slang too...

"Either or"

It's so stupid. The "or" is redundant. Just saying "either" would make sense.

It's quite necessary to make a cohesive sentence, though:

"Either you come over here right now, or I'll have to come get you myself."

"Either you come over here right now, I'll have to come get you myself."

Like Wesley, I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not. If not, it's a saying that's quite simple, actually: You can't spend something - be it time, money, cake, etc. - and still have it, meaning you need to spend what you have wisely.

I'm very seriously dyslexic and I actually get offended when I'm told I'm a "retard" (a word which when used by someone tends to be the last conversation I have with them) for getting words mixed up when writing.

I don't get things like your or you're mixed up, I just write the wrong word. Like accept and except and stuff like that. I know the difference, I'm not stupid, but because of my dyslexia it's incredibly hard for me to spot typos I've made. Sometimes I'll want to say "bother" and I'll type "boyfriend" or I'll want to say "snake" and I type "snack". When I start writing a word... sometimes I finish it differently and it's a genuine problem.

So while it can annoy you if people don't use English correctly, just be a little kinder and pointing these things out. Because genuinely it upsets me being called an idiot for having this problem, when anyone that knew me in real life probably wouldn't use that word to describe me.

I don't think anyone will be annoyed at you using the wrong words if they know your condition. For most people (at least it is for me) it's not even so much annoyance at the person doing it, it's just jarring to look at for grammatical neat freaks like myself.

I actually wasn't referring to people in this thread at all but it seemed like a suitable thread to post it in.

I do think people can be far too volatile to people who don't use flawless English, though.

It's quite necessary to make a cohesive sentence, though:

"Either you come over here right now, or I'll have to come get you myself."

"Either you come over here right now, I'll have to come get you myself."

I mean when they just say "Either or".

"Is the red or blue on better?"

"Either or" (Or some better example).

Like Wesley, I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not. If not, it's a saying that's quite simple, actually: You can't spend something - be it time, money, cake, etc. - and still have it, meaning you need to spend what you have wisely.

But it doesn't say that. It would make more sense that way if it was the other way around:

"You can't eat your cake and (still) have it."

''You Jelly''

Words cannot describe how this annoys me. One of the guys at Jagex used it, thinking he was awesome, I wanted to kill him.

It's not particularly hard nor difficult to change that back to ''are you jealous yet?'' Silly kids.

The internet and its horrible meme culture and obsession with phrases like that has actually destroyed how people talk. I understand language changes but people actually have lost the ability to express themselves originally or accurately.

I hate "The awkward moment when..." because it's almost always followed by something NOT awkward. And the misuse of the world "irony".

The misuse of the word irony is more a common trait with America. In my experience with dealing with Americans, the general populace just don't understand the concept of it.

I also cringe whenever someone says "lol" or "rofl" in real life

''You Jelly''

Words cannot describe how this annoys me. One of the guys at Jagex used it, thinking he was awesome, I wanted to kill him.

It's not particularly hard nor difficult to change that back to ''are you jealous yet?'' Silly kids.

I thought it just meant, "You [silly] jelly".

That's lame but harmless.

But as a replacement for "jealous"?!

Exploding-Head-150x150.jpg

No one is calling anyone else stupid or retarded for using them.

Actually, I am. Sorry.

Dyslexia is word blindness, not brain stupidity. A friend of mine has just finished his PhD - he's dyslexic. I hear too many parents at the school "oh, we think our son is dyslexic, don't be so hard on him!"

THAT EXPLAINS WHY HE DOESN'T WASH HIS HANDS AFTER PEEING HOW, EXACTLY?

Anyone using the words "irregardless" "Crimbo" "pukka" "tuneage" or "jokes" requires immediate castration using caustic acid.

To prevent them from breeding and spreading their stupidity any further.

Proles, however, are free to use whatever words they feel necessary. We always need an adequate supply of proles for the mines, box factories or other low-grade jobs.

Educated people have no excuse.

Edited by Iun

I'm surprised I don't find the slang of the Internet as annoying as most. I deal with it.

Can't stand "Yurt" though...my eyebrows furrow.

'At the end of the day...'

...it's a terrible phrase. :/

was gonna post this myself...now i never have to post in here again.

Yes, I agree. Unnecessarily adding -age to a word can be roughly translated into "I am a large cunt (-age)"

Yes, I agree. Unnecessarily adding -age to a word can be roughly translated into "I am a large cunt (-age)"

I guess I should change my name then :hmm: