NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

15 hours ago, Beast said:

The Dragon Ball thing is so confusing. Everyone has a different way to start watching and it's so confusing yet people find it confusing following Kingdom Hearts?! 🤣

How much time you willing to invest? If enough, watch 'em all.

Except Dragonball GT, which many people disliked and wasn't canon in following the manga, (I didn't think it was that bad to be honest), but Dragonball Super officially took over as the continuation of the series. Think like what Disney did to Star Wars by releasing their dogshit movies, except people were happier about GT being scrubbed.

• Like 1

I've started working my way through The Promised Neverland, which on paper sounded like a good concept - kids in orphanage find out when they get taken away they get eaten by demons, and try to escape - but I'm about 4 episodes in and I'm um'ing and ah'ing about whether I want to continue* as it's a bit slow on the pacing, and two things have really stuck out...

Spoiler

They're planning on scaling this wall about 3m high, yet in earlier episodes came across a fence you could just lift your leg over, and for the smaller kids, just walk under the bar.

Spoiler

One point at looking at this wall, one of the characters says in response to a concern that they're being watched/in danger - "I don't sense any demons". Whoa, where did this magic demon sense suddenly come from? 

Plus the usual anime schtick of assuming something and it automatically being correct, but that's across the board.

*especially since season 3 of Dr Stone has started dropping. Get excited

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

A new trailer for Pluto, and I think it looks pretty incredible:

A murder occurs in an orderly world where robots are unable to kill humans.

The robotic Europol investigator Gesicht takes the case, but the mystery deepens when he finds no trace of a human at the scene of the crime.

As he pursues the truth, Gesicht uncovers the most evil manifestation of hate that history ever seen, one that is bent on bringing destruction to the world .

The Netflix Series "PLUTO" starts streaming Thursday, October 26, 2023, only on Netflix.

I cancelled my Netflix subscription a few months back, and will absolutely be returning for this. They've announced that it will be released in 8 episodes at 60 minutes apiece – I've put off reading the manga to experience it this way first, but my understanding is that that'll mean we're getting one entire volume adapted per episode. That's freaking awesome. 

Key staff/involvement...

Spoiler

STAFF
Original work: "PLUTO" by Naoki Urasawa x Osamu Tezuka Co-authored with Takashi Nagasaki / Supervised by Macoto Tezka / With the cooperation of Tezuka Productions (Published by Shogakukan in Big Comics)

Executive Producers: Masao Maruyama, Taro Maki, Yuji Yamano

Directed by: Toshio Kawaguchi

Character Design, Supervising Animation

Director: Shigeru Fujita

Creative Advisor: Naoki Urasawa Animation

Directors: Kazunori Aoki, Itaru Saito

CG & SFX Director: Takahiro Miyata

Art Director: Chikako Shibata

Cinematography by: Mitsuhiro Sato

Sound Direction by: Masafumi Mima

Music by: Yugo Kanno

Animation Production by: Studio M2

Produced by: GENCO

Just want to highlight that Yugo Kanno is doing the OST. I've not watched JoJo's still - somehow, I honestly don't know how that's happened - but yeah, Giorno's Theme bangs, and that little burst of a choir we get at the end of this trailer has me super excited to hear what else he's got planned for the music. 

Really hope this lives up to the hype of its source material! :bouncy:

Teaser for Attack on Titan Final Season THE FINAL CHAPTERS Special 2:

Still scheduled as Fall 2023...

Attack_on_Titan_final_copy_final_this_one_FINAL.docx

• Haha 1

Spoiler

I swear Nezuko best be alive because I will SLAP your tits off if she buuuurns!!

I'm not even kidding. Me during that final episode of Demon Slayer! I was on an emotional rollercoaster with it. Death Note is still the greatest anime show I've seen so far but Demon Slayer was amazing.

I decided on watching Psycho Pass now. I'm on episode 5 and I am HOOKED! I'm on the whole chatroom episodes and it's got me on the edge of my seat! The new movie is in cinemas in August so I hope I can watch them all by then!

Edited by Beast
  • Like 1

With our Sky Glass previously non-functional I have been making the most of the Funimation subscription. I finished the second season of Promised Neverland, which really glossed over what I discovered was the ending of the manga (which apparently fans of the manga weren't fans about, but I could only really see one portion which would annoy them the most). With what I think was about 5 or so years of pivotal events condensed into about 10 stills. They could have easily made another season going over this.

Blasted through season 3 of Dr Stone, which felt faster paced than previous seasons, but I think that's because I watched it so quickly. Annoying that they're holding off on the last episode until October. Not a mid-season split that seems to be the thing nowadays, Just one episode.

Seeing what movies were on the app, I came across Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions. It's what you'd expect from another Yu-Gi-Oh movie, but the motives of people are all over the map. Still, it's got me playing that free game on Switch.

Trying to focus on Demon Slayer now, I started it at the same time as My Hero Academia, but I don't think I could juggle two 6 season animes at the same time, so will come back to the weird X-Men later.

I also recommend Ōoku: The Inner Chambers on the Netflix. It's not my usual watch, but it's quite interesting. Be warned though, the first episode starts in the more-so-present, and everything after that is like a prologue/flashback, which was quite jarring to begin with.

On 5/14/2023 at 8:54 PM, Beast said:

How Heavy Are Your Dumbbells looks fun too. 

Watch naaaoow

On 15/07/2023 at 9:30 PM, Beast said:
  OI, TANJIRO (Reveal hidden contents)

I swear Nezuko best be alive because I will SLAP your tits off if she buuuurns!!

I'm not even kidding. Me during that final episode of Demon Slayer! I was on an emotional rollercoaster with it. Death Note is still the greatest anime show I've seen so far but Demon Slayer was amazing.

I decided on watching Psycho Pass now. I'm on episode 5 and I am HOOKED! I'm on the whole chatroom episodes and it's got me on the edge of my seat! The new movie is in cinemas in August so I hope I can watch them all by then!

Psycho Pass is great, the first season is amongst the best stuff to watch!

• Like 1

First international trailer for Ghibli's and Miyazaki's next film, The Boy and The Heron

Yep, that's a Ghibli film alright, but some of those frames are a clear step up. 

It gets its debut here in the UK in October as part of the BFI London Film Festival. No official confirmation on a wider UK release just yet, but the US are getting it 8th December. 

This would make a wonderful Christmas present, that's all I'm saying :p either way, I can't wait! 

• Like 1

Attack on Titan The Final Season Final Chapters Special 2 (good lord am I not going to miss typing that out) premieres on 4th November 2023:

The end is nigh! :bouncy:

( FINALLY ! ! ! )

Per Empire, the UK release of The Boy and The Heron is set for Boxing Day of this year.

Additionally, the English voice cast has been announced, and it is S T A C K E D, including Ghibli VA returns for Christian Bale (Howl, Howl's Moving Castle) and Mark Hamill (Colonel Muska, Castle in the Sky; he was also the Mayor of Pejite in Nausicäa, but, well, that's technically not Ghibli :p). 

Can't wait :bouncy:

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:31 PM, Julius said:

First international trailer for Ghibli's and Miyazaki's next film, The Boy and The Heron

Yep, that's a Ghibli film alright, but some of those frames are a clear step up. 

It gets its debut here in the UK in October as part of the BFI London Film Festival. No official confirmation on a wider UK release just yet, but the US are getting it 8th December. 

This would make a wonderful Christmas present, that's all I'm saying :p either way, I can't wait! 

Just watching this got a thought popping in my head... Does Miyazaki have some sort of gunge/slime fetish? 

Haven't watched too much anime this year, but last month I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time, as well as End of Evangelion.

Thought the show was fantastic, it's really not hard to see why it caught on as much as it did, much less inspire as much as it has (it being so obvious an inspiration for Attack on Titan definitely makes me want to debate AoT being a mech anime with someone :p). The last few episodes of the show and EoE...were, well, wild. Absolutely wild. Do I have a complete idea of what was going on? Nope. Did the creators? I genuinely also want to say no :laughing:

Also, it's so funny having heard bits and pieces over the last however many years it is now that I've got into anime about the show, and I feel like you can definitely age a person by who their favourite girl/s in Evangelion is/are. I'm not one for waifu/best girl culture, but it's so obviously Misato and Ritsuko that, yeah, it's clear a lot of people saying otherwise were kids/on the younger side when they first watched the show :p because, c'mon, GOOD LORD was Asuka annoying :laughing:

Anyways, this week I've re-watched Steins;Gate again, and I think that's the third time I've watched it. Yeah, it's still a 10/10, and it's still my favourite time travel story in any medium. I should really check out the game at some point, probably, huh? :D

Now I'm just left debating whether or not I want to pick up another show between now and Pluto dropping next Friday. 

Edited by Julius

Aw Julius nooo... I expected better from you to like Evangelion, especially after seeing the ending.

• Haha 1

It's weird. I can't remember a single thing about Steins; Gate, and it wasn't that long ago that I watched it. Something about a microwave right?

It's weird. I can't remember a single thing about Steins; Gate, and it wasn't that long ago that I watched it. Something about a microwave right?
Something about a CERN supercomputer and controlling everyone...? Ages since I saw it.

The Pluto anime adaptation on Netflix was abso-freaking-lutely superb :bowdown: 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Finally got around to watching the Attack on Titan finale

Spoiler

• I thought Eren's motive of trying to set his friends up as heroes by making himself a villain was very predictable...but I didn't see the memory wiping stuff coming. That was well done. 

• screw humanity. It's unfortunate just how accurate I think this story ended up playing out by the end. 

• as soon as the credits stayed on the tree I knew exactly where we were going – another cycle, in a post-apocalyptic world? Genius, but also kind of makes me want to put my head through a wall. 

Make sure you watch the credits. 

I think the first half of the finale released earlier this year was stronger and much more focused, but generally I think this was a great way to end the series; even if I don't think it quite got to the highs of S3 Pt2 or S4 Pt2 (also think the soundtrack didn't live up to the hype for the first time ever? And in the latter part of the finale, no less), that they managed to stick the landing in any sense of the word deserves props here. 

Between this and Pluto, we've been eating damn good this season, that's for sure! 

Is the Attack on Titan finale in episodes? On the Funimation app there's 2 things, about 90mins and 60 mins, which I think is it but they've got a load of bullshit recap "movies" too, which I am not bothered to watch again.

2 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Is the Attack on Titan finale in episodes? On the Funimation app there's 2 things, about 90mins and 60 mins, which I think is it but they've got a load of bullshit recap "movies" too, which I am not bothered to watch again.

Yep, those are the ones: THE FINAL CHAPTERS Special 1 (60 minutes) and THE FINAL CHAPTERS Special 2 (90 minutes) :peace:

I saw the first half and had to halt watching the second because it wasn't dubbed... But that first half was not inspiring. 

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
  • Sad 1

Finally got around to watching Demon Slayer S3: Swordsmith Village Arc, and I really enjoyed it.

Quality music, quality animation, same old hitting the familiar beats of a shonen but it's hard to complain when it looks and sounds as good as it does. 

I do think it's a step down from S1 and S2, purely because while it's only 11 episodes long (well, more like 13, with the season opener and finale both being long enough to be a bit over 2 episodes each), it feels like it's combat for like 75%+ of the season? And while it's all great, after S2 was also overwhelmingly fights and at a stupid level of quality that goes beyond the movie, this season never really hit those heights with its fights, nor did it really serve as much of a breather. It felt like Entertainment District Arc 2.0, but lesser. 

So, a solid 8/10 from me. Still really enjoyed it but after S2 was all killer and no filler, I was a bit let down by S3 not carrying the story forward a bit more. 

Also making an appearance: Fan Service, The Character™ (aka Mitsuri Kanroji). I'm not a huge fan service guy, but I don't think I've laughed as hard as I have watching this show as when a demon basically said "damn, this girl's too thicc for my attacks to do anything" :laughing: