NEurope
Paj!

RESIDENT EVIL

I'm one of the few who thinks that they should have changed the name of the game when resi 4 came out. From resi 4 it's no longer resident evil, just another generic shooter with zombies. Yes 4 did it really well and as a stand alone game it was great, 5 was average at best.

Resi 1,2,3,0 and code Veronica is where it's at though. Code Veronica stands alone as the greatest survival horror game of all time! I had it on release dag in the dreamcast. All I need to say is; spider, under the ice.... *shudder*

I'm gonna get the Wii(Cube) remake of the original. I heard the controls are aweful, but i'll deal.

I'm terrified about the old save method though, since I exploit the typewriter in 4 so much. When I'm too scared of what lies beneath, I always run/hobble back to a typewriter. What is this ribbon shyt I've heard about?

I'm gonna get the Wii(Cube) remake of the original. I heard the controls are aweful, but i'll deal.

I'm terrified about the old save method though, since I exploit the typewriter in 4 so much. When I'm too scared of what lies beneath, I always run/hobble back to a typewriter. What is this ribbon shyt I've heard about?

Basically, Paj, you start off with something like 3 ink ribbons and they are scattered throughout the game.

When you're saving, each time you save at the typewriter, you use up an ink ribbon. Therefore, if you save every 5 minutes, then...you're fucked. :heh:

It forces you to use your items sparingly. Makes the situation much more tense. You'll feel happy when you find some of the ribbons scattered around, you breathe a big sigh of relief. :heh:

Paj!, try to not save on Resident Evil 4 as much as you can, lmao. You will be screwed when playing Resident Evils 0, 1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica. I think I'm one of the rare fans who adores all of the games. Resident Evil 4 and 5 are great but the best ones are Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and Code: Veronica.

The best thing ever is getting out my Dreamcast and playing it, knowing I will be scared, haha. I'm very much looking forward to Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica on the XBOX 360.

Basically, Paj, you start off with something like 3 ink ribbons and they are scattered throughout the game.

When you're saving, each time you save at the typewriter, you use up an ink ribbon. Therefore, if you save every 5 minutes, then...you're fucked. :heh:

It forces you to use your items sparingly. Makes the situation much more tense. You'll feel happy when you find some of the ribbons scattered around, you breathe a big sigh of relief. :heh:

YES! I know right? I remember thinking I had a heart attack when I was younger because I thought I was going to die and when I found an ink ribbon, I'd never been so happy in my gaming life, haha.

YES! I know right? I remember thinking I had a heart attack when I was younger because I thought I was going to die and when I found an ink ribbon, I'd never been so happy in my gaming life, haha.

I've had similar experiences. Wandering around the mansion thinking "shit shit shit, low on health, need to save!"

You become very nervous about what's behind each door. I was literally holding my breath during the door opening sequences thinking "please be safe, please be safe."

Then, when you get to a typewriter and find yourself in possession of a ribbon, it's just such a release. I don't think I encountered anything like that during 4. The set pieces of great, but that feeling on anxiety, I don't think it had that. An awesome game, but I prefer the earlier games.

I'll give it a go. I'm terrified already.

So you should be, my friend...so you should be! :p

I'll give it a go. I'm terrified already.

wimp. :heh:

Terrifying is trying to kill a whole wave of priest things in red cloaks, with little health and in an enclosed lift with your knife because you've run out of bullets.

heart on the floor gaming. :D

I love the bit I just recently did, trapped in the room waiting for the door to open with the Xenomorph wannabe. Literally running in circles, finding it hard to breathe, yet being great at dodging/I used all my recovery items. I love when I got in the hallway finally I knocked over the liquid nitrogen and in my fear actually ran back into the room I just came from. FRAK. I love Resi 4. GET TO THE LIFT YOU BASTARD IT'S FASTER THAN YOU.

Paj, have you ever played Resident Evil 5? (Note: may have missed somewhere in your post stating you haven't but I'm really tired so may have missed it).

No. Resident Evil 4 is the first game in the series I've played. I've heard very mixed things about 5.

That's more like it! :grin:

Definitely play Resident 5 in Co-op it is uber funnn.

On one of the DLC missions me and my friend kept dying and everytime we came back they had added a new chainsaw guy, so we eventually had 6 of them to kill which when we did was EPIC. :grin:

Code Veronica is where it's at!

You'd love the characters Paj!

A REmake of that would be the ultimate!

Do you intend to work your way through all the games Paj (other than 5 if you only have a Wii... but missing 5 isn't exactly a bad thing!)

Yeah, I may as well. I'll get the first and Code Veronica at least.

I only have a Wii. I feel sick.

But you can play 0, 1, 2 and 3 on the Wii since they're on the GameCube. All you have to do is get a GameCube pad and you can play them.

With Code Veronica, you just need a PS2 and you can play Code Veronica X.

For Resident Evil 5, get a PS3 or a 360. There's quite a few good games on the 360 such as Alan Wake and L.A. Noire.

Code Veronica is where it's at!

You'd love the characters Paj!

A REmake of that would be the ultimate!

There's a HD remake of Resident Evil 4 and Code Veronica coming out on XBOX 360 and PS3 soon for the Resident Evil Anniversary. I look forward to purchasing both!

Yeah, I may as well. I'll get the first and Code Veronica at least.

Get 0, 2 and 3 as well.

He can play Code Veronica on the Wii aswell, get the GC version. I play it alot, Alfred Ashord = legend.

He can play Code Veronica on the Wii aswell, get the GC version. I play it alot, Alfred Ashord = legend.

Is Code Veronica on the GameCube? Wicked! Looks like I'll be making a purchase! :p

Where are all the survival horror games these days!!?

Silent Hill is still around, Nintendo decided we didn't deserve Fatal Frame... Does Alan Wake count? Anyway, they're still around. ;)

There's a HD remake of Resident Evil 4 and Code Veronica coming out on XBOX 360 and PS3 soon for the Resident Evil Anniversary. I look forward to purchasing both!

Get 0, 2 and 3 as well.

Yep they're all on the Gamecube, and REmake and Zero have even been ported to Wii.

The Code Veronica HD remake isn't anything like the REmake though is it? It's just exactly the rooms/everything but slightly less crappy looking?

Silent Hill is still around, Nintendo decided we didn't deserve Fatal Frame... Does Alan Wake count? Anyway, they're still around. ;)

Tis a shame there aren't as many as there used to be. Silent hill hasn't been great since the second one. I love these sort of games.

Also games like silent hill and fatal frame are "supposed" to have limited controls and gameplay, which helps fuel the atmosphere than you are "isolated" and helpless. Things like ink ribbons in classic resident evil help too.

You'd think with all the graphical advancements we've made, there would be more. Games have the potential to be a LOT more frightening than movies could ever dream to be.

Ebbs and flows, I guess. Stealth games have seen a downturn in recent years, too. There's also F.E.A.R. and Dead Space, which I think are supposed to be scary. And Amnesia.

I don't usually find games scary. The only scary thing about early Resident Evil is the threat of having to replay large portions of the game because you haven't had a chance to save your progress. The only 'scares' in the game are of the "dogs through the window" variety, but that's a cheap way to scare people. The Scream movies do the same thing, but no one would call them scary.

I like how the Silent Hill games try to build up a creepy atmosphere, but after a while you know what to expect (walk into a building, solve some puzzles, the building transforms, solve some more puzzles...). I think a big problem with scary video games is that it doesn't take long to figure out the game mechanics. Dead Space tries to scare you with background sounds and having monsters come at you from all angles, but after a while you know which sounds are backgrounds sounds and which are not, and you learn to expect from where the monsters will come and when they will attack. F.E.A.R. tries to scare you with ghosts and hallucinations, but when blood starts pouring from the ceiling, you know it's scripted and that nothing bad will happen to you.

I think for a video game to actually stay scary past the opening segments, it would need to constantly reinvent itself so you never know what to expect and won't automatically know how to handle every threat. I also think having multiple paths could be a way to make the player nervous about how they play the game. If you don't choose to go back to that building, maybe that character will die, but if you do choose to go back, you're guaranteed to face more ghosts/zombies/monsters. The Silent Hill games have different endings, but I still never felt like my decisions made that much of a difference.

Of course, it's probably all moot with today's forgiving game design. There's no fear if death is just a minor annoyance, but at the same time, games that are too unforgiving are no fun. So I don't know. :p