NEurope
dwarf

What ID do you use when you're out?

I use my actual ID card. People in the UK look at it a bit funny but it's been accepted every time. Can't really imagine not having an ID. I usually have it with me wherever I go (as that's what you're supposed to do really).

That ID card is actually pretty sweet. From what I remember, you can use it to travel from country to country (in the EU anyway), right? So, it's basically a card sized passport.

Does it count as your driver's licence?

I use my passport as I have no other ID. Never had any problems with it.

I think Dwarf is concerned about using it abroad and then losing it/getting it stolen.

That ID card is actually pretty sweet. From what I remember, you can use it to travel from country to country (in the EU anyway), right? So, it's basically a card sized passport.

Does it count as your driver's licence?

Well they tried bringing out an ID card over here and i think there was a big shitstorm and then they realised it would cost a fortune and went quiet on the idea! lol.

From what I remember, you can use it to travel from country to country (in the EU anyway), right? So, it's basically a card sized passport.

In theory, and from what was originally suggested by The Reich. I don't know whether it's accepted in practice.

Well they tried bringing out an ID card over here and i think there was a big shitstorm and then they realised it would cost a fortune and went quiet on the idea! lol.

Labour got voted out is what happened; though even they were stumbling with it.

I think Dwarf is concerned about using it abroad and then losing it/getting it stolen.

I suppose if you're abroad then you just have to show a bit of cleavage and you'll get in easily with no ID.

Yes, that was terrible.

Anyway, it probably is best to have a second form of ID and use that while you're abroad.

As for how old I look...I look pretty young for my age. I could probably pull of 16/17.

I can travel freely in Europe. My ID is accepted for travel yes. And no it's not a driver's license, don't see how that would work. Everyone has an ID. Not everyone can drive.

Also the ID doesn't cost that much. I think I paid something like 12 or 15 euro.

In theory, and from what was originally suggested by The Reich. I don't know whether it's accepted in practice.

I remember all the fuss about it in this country. Would it make a passport redundant if they were introduced here? Or, is the ID card only useful for travelling in Europe/identification in EU countries?

To answer the original question, I use my driving licence. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all taking my passport out with me. Would be nervous about losing it.

One thing I really don't understand: Why is the UK so against an ID card scheme?

I can travel freely in Europe. My ID is accepted for travel yes. And no it's not a driver's license, don't see how that would work. Everyone has an ID. Not everyone can drive.

Also the ID doesn't cost that much. I think I paid something like 12 or 15 euro.

I mean what if you had a green version and a pink version. We have a green driving card for the provisional licence, and then a pink one for when you pass. I remembered your card was green, so thought maybe that was linked in some way.

Would be a cool idea, combining the driver's licence with the ID card.

I've always thought of them both as ID cards really. They both identify you. What does an ID have that is special?

Flink; eurozone only so you'd still need a passport elsewhere. Uk was against ID cards because it negatively spun, primarily focusing on the cost of setting it up. It was said that it would've been necessary to have a card, yet it'd cost £40. Also there was all that debacle about possibly having finger print/retina scanning going along with it. I think that was originally a potential future-thing but the press pressed it as if it was definitely happning blahkablalgadfg. yeah. Would've been smart. Stuff.

That sucks.

The best way to not get asked for ID is to not shave for 2-3 days before buying 18 rated goods. Though I wouldn't suggest the girls do that :heh:

Don't the rest of the country get free cards similar to BITE Cards around the age of 15 or so?

but my grey beard is rather fetching....

(wish i wasn't being serious haha, bloody genetics!!!)

I mean what if you had a green version and a pink version. We have a green driving card for the provisional licence, and then a pink one for when you pass. I remembered your card was green, so thought maybe that was linked in some way.

No, the driver's licence is not tied to the ID. Two different things.

I showed you the thing I have as my temporary licence, just a piece of paper (green too I think).

One thing I really don't understand: Why is the UK so against an ID card scheme?

What J7 said, the media control the country remember! ;)

I was all for it personally but there you go! It will probably come back around in the next decade or something.

I've always thought of them both as ID cards really. They both identify you. What does an ID have that is special?

But, as far as I'm aware, I can't travel from the UK to Belgium using my driver's licence. Can I?

Flink; eurozone only so you'd still need a passport elsewhere. Uk was against ID cards because it negatively spun, primarily focusing on the cost of setting it up. It was said that it would've been necessary to have a card, yet it'd cost £40. Also there was all that debacle about possibly having finger print/retina scanning going along with it. I think that was originally a potential future-thing but the press pressed it as if it was definitely happning blahkablalgadfg. yeah. Would've been smart. Stuff.

I remember all of that, yeah. They put a huge emphasis on the price, which seemed to put a lot of people off the idea. If there was a way to combine it with a driver's licence, I wonder if people would warm to it a bit more. Since then, you would be able to combine a driver's licence and a passport, which is bulkier, into one small card which you can take from country to country.

Maybe in the future it could be opened up even further, allowing you to travel worldwide? Maybe.

There's definitely some potential in the idea.

But, as far as I'm aware, I can't travel from the UK to Belgium using my driver's licence. Can I?

Nope, and I think they are trying to make it so us n.irelanders need a passport to travel to the mainland too! (normally its just photographic ID)

There really is. The media... a phrase which really dilutes the responsibility, and the general shitty nature of it all... spins the world we live in. Look at the Sun newspaper - 15 years ago (or whenever) was all "TORIES ARE EVIL NEW LABOUR PLX" then recently "LABOUR ARE GAY VOTE CONSERVBSBS!" ... the country laps it up.

It sickens me, but hey. Can't change it.

Actual drivers license ftw. Pink is way cooler than green.

Carrying your passport around all this time? Not smart. Replacing a passport costs nearly £80.

Because it only takes one Stalin/Hitler/Rompuy to fuck you in the arse:

The UK, and the West in general is too 1984 as it is: taking an extra step towards it isn't a good idea; unless you're a masochist of course.

If the Govt. & agencies did their "jobs" in the first place, there'd be no excuse for ID cards whatsoever. IDs wouldn't help anyway (not with things they claim will be fixed): Russians will still be using fake Polish Passports, and we grow our own terrorists in Luton, Manchester and Ireland anyway.

The people should not be afraid of their government.

"Papers please"

Edited by Kurtle Squad

Actual drivers license ftw. Pink is way cooler than green.

Carrying your passport around all this time? Not smart. Replacing a passport costs nearly £80.

actual non supervised driving ftw!!! :D:bouncy:

I'd be more worried about the damage someone could do with that kind of information... you hear about people being able to take out debt under someones name with as little as a passport!

Nope, and I think they are trying to make it so us n.irelanders need a passport to travel to the mainland too! (normally its just photographic ID)

By the looks of things, you and Scotland will be abandoning us within a decade or so anyway (The United Kingdom of Southern Great Britain?).

That is if Scotland didn't make financial losses each year, because the North Sea doesn't make them the Saudi-esque oil barons they wish to be.

I assume NI isn't too financially stable either?

@ Kurtle Squad; Dude... you're reciting daily mail propaganda. You should surely be more worred about clubcards. It's safer for our government to have our data that it is for global corporations.

Because it only takes one Stalin/Hitler/Rompuy to fuck you in the arse:

The UK, and the West in general is too 1984 as it is; taking an extra step towards it isn't a good idea; unless you're a masochist of course.

If the Govt. & agencies did their "jobs" in the first place, there'd be no excuse for ID cards whatsoever - they wouldn't help anyway: Russians will still be using fake Polish Passports, and we grow our own terrorists in Luton, Manchester and Ireland.

The people should not be afraid of their government.

"Papers please"

What? Are you one of those people who believes the government is trying to control us all? Through an ID?

Honestly have no clue what you're saying with the above post (can you explain it please?).

And I honestly don't get how people can be against an ID. All this stuff about "I don't know what to use to ID myself/they won't take this/they say this thing is fake" bla bla bla, I've never had to deal with any of that. An ID is simple, it's cheap, it's your way of proving that you are who you say you are. No faffing about with papers or passports or whatever.

@ jayseven; Dude... you're reciting Guardian propaganda.

Wow: I can name shit papers too.

Also, it matters not who has our data, the UK Govt. have the worst track record when it comes to data safety.

There really is. The media... a phrase which really dilutes the responsibility, and the general shitty nature of it all... spins the world we live in. Look at the Sun newspaper - 15 years ago (or whenever) was all "TORIES ARE EVIL NEW LABOUR PLX" then recently "LABOUR ARE GAY VOTE CONSERVBSBS!" ... the country laps it up.

It sickens me, but hey. Can't change it.

It would help if we could get out of a two party system: the Sun didn't like that idea.

Honestly have no clue what you're saying with the above post (can you explain it please?).

No.

I'm not going to run through 100+ years of history with you, including the Reichstag Fire, aswell as a lessons on modern Britain, Liberty and Democracy etc.

What? Are you one of those people who believes the government is trying to control us all? Through an ID?

No.

Every little helps, however.

Are you one of those people who believes the Soviets were trying to control all their citizens? Using ID papers as help?

If so, your argument fails at the first hurdle.

Edited by Kurtle Squad