N-Europe

Texas Cheerleader rape

Happenstance

Wait...you believe that drivel? Our law system barely works by that principal. guilty until proven innocent is fits more cases now a days.

While I do believe in the idea of innocent until proven guilty, the reason I'm so worked up about this is that I just don't have much faith in the American justice system, and whether this case is genuine or not, the truly scary part is that it's entirely plausible that it is.

But: "(quoted from article) Her attacker was charged with sexual assault, but after a plea deal, admitted misdemeanour assault and got a princely sentence of no time served."

Yeah, this is another good point. Him pleading misdemeanour (and getting away with it ... is it so strange that we don't trust the legal system?), coupled with the girl outright refusing to cheer for him, really suggests that she didn't just make stuff up.

Comparing working with someone you simply don't like, with working alongside someone who raped you isn't a fair comparison :/

Here's a better analogy, you wouldn't apply for a job at the same place where a person who rapped you worked, it would be perfectly acceptable for your boss to fire you if you refused to work when they were around.

Although, she really should have pushed to have a restraining order put in place, which would have caused this whole situation to be avoided.

I'm not trying to blame the whole thing on her, but I don't think its the school that's in the wrong in this case. Its more how the original case was handled really.

Here's a better analogy, you wouldn't apply for a job at the same place where a person who rapped you worked, it would be perfectly acceptable for your boss to fire you if you refused to work when they were around.

How about a co-worker whom you have a decent working relationship with (basically an acquaintanceship) rapes you. Should you suddenly lose your job because you don't want to work with them? No, besides the fact that they should rotting in jail, if they aren't it's quite unfair to punish the victim.

In the event of no punishment to the raper I can't say it's exactly fair to just fire them from the job either unless the job has some sort of no sex offenders policy, and even if they didn't have to register they just didn't want to risk further incidents.

This is assuming the rape is legitimate.

I've been looking at a few more articles about this, and I still think its really difficult to judge this incident without knowing the details of the actual rape. Overall though, it seems that whatever issues are going on in the school now would be completely irrelevant if the courts had originally just placed a simple restraining order on the assailant.

But: "(quoted from article) Her attacker was charged with sexual assault, but after a plea deal, admitted misdemeanour assault and got a princely sentence of no time served."

Yeah, this is another good point. Him pleading misdemeanour (and getting away with it ... is it so strange that we don't trust the legal system?), coupled with the girl outright refusing to cheer for him, really suggests that she didn't just make stuff up.

That doesn't prove his guilt. Perhaps what he committed was a misdemeanor. (I don't know what that means exactly, maybe he was a little too forceful during consensual sex or something.) There's also the fact that lawyers will often encourage their clients to plea for a small sentence.

We could easily turn it around, if he did rape her, why would she accept a plea of misdemeanor assualt?

One thing i will say is that the American Legal system is fucked up.

He may not have raped her. It could have been consentual, then she claims rape. If his lawyersadvised him to plea bargin on the promise it would be a misdemeanour then he would have taken that instead of the possibility of jail time.

And dont forget her legal side would have had to agree to the plea bargain too. If she felt so strongly then she should have pushed for a trial.

It just doesn't sit right with me how 3 levels of court have thrown the case out. It makes me think that there is more to this than we know.

That doesn't prove his guilt. Perhaps what he committed was a misdemeanor. (I don't know what that means exactly, maybe he was a little too forceful during consensual sex or something.) There's also the fact that lawyers will often encourage their clients to plea for a small sentence.

I'm not saying anything proves he's guilty. I said earlier on "if he did commit rape", not "he did commit it and deserves to go to hell".

We could easily turn it around, if he did rape her, why would she accept a plea of misdemeanor assualt?

And dont forget her legal side would have had to agree to the plea bargain too. If she felt so strongly then she should have pushed for a trial.

Maybe she had no money, or the guy or his family threatened her. Maybe her family/friends didn't believe her and she got no support and gave up, etc. None of us know what really happened. Along with slight sensationalism in the article, screwed up justice system, corruption and other affecting factors, maybe it's pointless to discuss it... The ones who condemn the guy: maybe he was innocent and manipulated by the girl, so you are condemning an innocent person. The ones who dismiss it as "maybe it didn't actually happen": if it really did happen, you are demeaning her and her rights. idk...

Maybe she had no money, or the guy or his family threatened her. Maybe her family/friends didn't believe her and she got no support and gave up, etc. None of us know what really happened. Along with slight sensationalism in the article, screwed up justice system, corruption and other affecting factors, maybe it's pointless to discuss it... The ones who condemn the guy: maybe he was innocent and manipulated by the girl, so you are condemning an innocent person. The ones who dismiss it as "maybe it didn't actually happen": if it really did happen, you are demeaning her and her rights. idk...

This basically sums everything up.

Maybe she had no money, or the guy or his family threatened her. Maybe her family/friends didn't believe her and she got no support and gave up, etc.

I'd say this. If her friends at al. did believe her, I highly doubt the accused/his family would threaten them all.

Girls seem so close at times. It's not unreasonable to believe at least some of the cheerleaders were close friends of the victim. Yet they cheered anyway. If they were any kind of friend they would've protested along with her.

It all seems like some sort of town conspiracy. Everyone knows it but neglects to acknowledge it. Where I (and I'm sure many here in their regions) live and someone like this was accused of rape and (practically) admitted to it... there would be no chance in hell of them cheering this individual on.