N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

Watching the highlights - I actually applauded the TV when Henry scored. I seriously love it when legendary stuff that is 'supposed' to happen happens.

How many more does he need to be Arsenal's #1 scorer again?

Weirdest thing is how his accent has already got that Yankee twang...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramar, to me Chamberlain looks a better player than Arshavin? Agree or no?

The difference between the two, one is hungry to do well and wants to impress. The other has got the experience but appears to not want it as much. In saying that I thought Arshavin had a decent game, even if he did waste 3-4 opportunities.

492795267.jpg

I left the ground proclaiming I'd suck the farts out of his arsehole, I bloody well would. Love the man. The King Is Back!

How many more does he need to be Arsenal's #1 scorer again?

He is the leading scorer, 227 and counting!

Edited by Ramar

Was it arsenal league goals that van persie has now, then? I'm sure he'll keep hold of it, but it'd be magical to see Henry get some more to his tally.

van Persie has the club record for most Premier League goals in one calendar year, which was 35, Henry previously held it with 34.

It's a bit of a pointless stat, I mean the Premier League wasn't the start of football. And I read somewhere Ted Drake netted 40 odd in a calendar year for us back in the 30s-40s.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16492841.stm

It's this kind of shit that really pisses me off about the FA and modern football in general. It seems like 90% of the time the FA ignore the facts and just blindly back the referee's decision, no matter how wrong it may be. Kompany's lucky that the FA didn't increase the ban like they usually do. This is the same FA that had the sheer cheek to appeal Wayne Rooney's international ban when he decided to kick that Montenegro player.

Of course they're not going to overturn the ban. A two footed tackle is simply not allowed these days. If they did overturn it, what message does that send out? That a two footed tackle is ok, as long as the player doesn't get hurt or gets out of the way?

It will just further blur the line between what is accepted and what isn't, which will only lead to more confusion for referees.

The only thing that angers me about this is that it is clear that these referees need help. I'm sure they don't like being scrutinised every single week, and I feel sorry for them. They have a hard job and the FA and FIFA are not making it any easier for them by blurring the lines and not allowing them access to video technology which could help them when making big calls.

Of course they're not going to overturn the ban. A two footed tackle is simply not allowed these days. If they did overturn it, what message does that send out? That a two footed tackle is ok, as long as the player doesn't get hurt or gets out of the way?

I think the assertion that overturning the ban would have sent out that message is false (besides the fact two-footed tackles and dangerous tackles aren't synonymous). The message it would have sent out would have been that the FA actually isn't a completely useless, hypocritical organisation run by people who haven't played the game. The truth is that this isn't about messages or what is or isn't acceptable. It's what gmac said: the FA will just back the ref.

If the FA say that two-footed challenges aren't allowed, then fine, but let's have some consistency. What about all the other two-footed challenges last weekend? If you're going to ban Kompany for going in two-footed (and actually winning the ball and barely touching the man) then a hell of a lot more players should have been banned as well.

Bottom line is that Kompany clearly should not have been sent off and therefore his ban should have been overturned. Not sure if you're just playing devil's advocate or you genuinely do believe that Kompany's red card was justified so I'll just ask if you this: would your opinion be different had it been Nani tackling Kompany instead?

It will just further blur the line between what is accepted and what isn't, which will only lead to more confusion for referees.

The only thing that angers me about this is that it is clear that these referees need help. I'm sure they don't like being scrutinised every single week, and I feel sorry for them. They have a hard job and the FA and FIFA are not making it any easier for them by blurring the lines and not allowing them access to video technology which could help them when making big calls.

Call me old fashioned, but the rules of football aren't complicated. You go in for the ball and get the ball first, then it is a fair tackle. If you take the man then the ball (or maybe only the man) then it is a foul! Simples! If you go in recklessly and dangerously and get the man then you should get a yellow or a red. Yes there is a chance that players can get hurt but that's football and it is a contact sport. If Rugby were like what football is now, they'd all be playing tag.

Referees do have it hard and perhaps they do need more help. They may not like getting scrutinised but they do deserve to get scrutinised when they make poor decisions. Kompany's red card was a very poor decision, which resulted in Man City exiting the FA Cup and losing one of their best players for four important games. If I were Mancini, I would be fuming.

Another win for Spurs. Level with Man U, 3 behind Man City. We have home to Wolves next then Away V Man City... crazy!! Just got a feeling we're going to beat them and be top at the end of it!!

We play such amazing football! Also just want to say that Jake Livermore was amazing tonight, didn't miss Scoot Parker in the slightest. Not been mega impressed with him, but tonight he looked absolute class

Another win for Spurs. Level with Man U, 3 behind Man City. We have home to Wolves next then Away V Man City... crazy!! Just got a feeling we're going to beat them and be top at the end of it!!

We play such amazing football! Also just want to say that Jake Livermore was amazing tonight, didn't miss Scoot Parker in the slightest. Not been mega impressed with him, but tonight he looked absolute class

Livermore made 76 passes. Completed 75.

The football we played today was just gorgeous.

9 points ahead of the scum and I really can't see them catching us. Fucking love it.