N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

Well I knew it would be close, but I hoped it was us who'd edge it. Szczesny's only real mistake cost us a point, he's certainly going to be a great keeper in the future. I hope we can find a good midfielder player in the mid season transfer window like Liverpool did with Suarez.

He made a couple of pretty good saves, right bummer - had money on 3 - 1, came so close!

Not a bad game, thought it might have been a slightly easier win with Arsenal's current form.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically VdV could have saw red, but anyone particularly calling for it is a bit of a mug. He scored in a derby of course he's going to enjoy it. However the goal should not have stood, however much Glenn Hoddle would like to claim that your left bicep is your 'apex'...

The goal is a tough one to call. Don't think the referee could spot that one since VdV has his back to him. It was a pretty good finish though, but awful defending.

In fact, all three goals were great finishes by the attacking team, but terrible, terrible defending by the other. I did think that Song looked pretty decent at centre-back, keeping Adebayor at bay for most of the game. Thought Coquelin also had a very decent game, and was unlucky to be on the losing side.

Scott Parker must be knackered after that. He was everywhere.

First half wasn't great from our point of view - Arsenal were dictating the midfield. Second half we should've scored a hatful. Was quite surprised at the way Arsenal set up with such a high line considering we have the quickest team counter break in the league. The pace of Bale and Walker will trouble any defence; they are electrifying at times.

Anyway, job done. Long may the rot at Arsenal continue.

The goal is a tough one to call. Don't think the referee could spot that one since VdV has his back to him.

And the linesman looking across the line has no eyes then? Seriously, it was as blatant as handballs come. It's a shocking decision.

Done by a poor reffing decision, clear handball for the first. I think the game was fairly even, Spurs maybe having the better chances. A draw would have been a fair result.

We're fucked if we don't start putting wins on the board though.

Surely not. The handball wad debatable at best, top of the arm is okay. And a draw? Are you kidding? Bale and (to a lesser extent) ade missed 2 sitters. You didn't really create anything bar the well worked goal!

Anyways, who cares. 4 wins in a row. 5 points ahead of the scum with a game in hand. Lennon and Dawson to come back after the break. And arsenal going to struggle to get top 6. Excellent!

And the linesman looking across the line has no eyes then? Seriously, it was as blatant as handballs come. It's a shocking decision.

I actually forgot about the linesman there. Yeah, he was/should have been in a much better position to make that call. I wonder if this will "be solved" by putting more officials behind the goal. They definitely wouldn't have missed it :heh:

The only suggestion I can put forward is that maybe the linesman/ref/both thought that the ball hit the very upper chest of VdV. :hmm:

It's pure physics. Unless you're facing the ball when it comes in, it's going to bounce off your chest to the left unless your arm is there or you happen to have a left breast that protrudes a metre or so out of your chest.

Did create anything? The Gervinho miss was the easiest chance of the game.

I thought the VDV goal was perfectly fine. It's certainly more shoulder than arm, and frankly the hand-ball rule needs a good hard look anyway.

Newcastle sitting pretty up north -- two seasons ago they were in the championship. It won't last for them, but still it's nice to see.

Man C and Chelsea both showed strong form this weekend - Man U once again showed a dodgy defense and perhaps an over-reliance on endurance. I like to think that Man U vs. Man C later this month will show us where this season will be going. I still love the fact that every week, city's performed fantastic but Man U seem to do one better in order to stay top.

I thought the VDV goal was perfectly fine. It's certainly more shoulder than arm, and frankly the hand-ball rule needs a good hard look anyway.

Care to explain what needs looking at? It's fairly straight forward you can't control the ball with your hand or arm.

Guess Clive's still angry he never even got a chance at The Arsenal.

x610.jpg

1024x.jpg

The idea of 'intentional' and 'accidental' hand-ball. We get super-slow-mo replays and think decisions are obvious but in real-time often it's impossible for a defender to move their arm out of the way of a shot. The difference between ball-to-arm and arm-to-ball, the accounting for a player to realistically get their arm out fo the way...

The VDV situation is admittedly not the sort of hand-ball I'm thinking of, but I really do think that the shoulder area that was used... well frankly who gives a shit. It's not a maradonna-esque cheat so I'm all for it.

The idea of 'intentional' and 'accidental' hand-ball. We get super-slow-mo replays and think decisions are obvious but in real-time often it's impossible for a defender to move their arm out of the way of a shot. The difference between ball-to-arm and arm-to-ball, the accounting for a player to realistically get their arm out fo the way...

The VDV situation is admittedly not the sort of hand-ball I'm thinking of, but I really do think that the shoulder area that was used... well frankly who gives a shit. It's not a maradonna-esque cheat so I'm all for it.

You're looking at it in black and white. The crux of the matter is he gained a clear advantage by controlling the ball with the part of the arm that is not allowed. Whether you agree with that rule is neither here nor there, until they change the rule, it's needs to be abided by.

I completely agree with that and have been saying it for a while now. There seems to be a case every single match of "was it hand-to-ball or ball-to-hand". I'm not sure what they can do about this but it definitely needs looked at.

As for the VDV incident, I thought it was a blatant a handball as they come and I had money on the goals scored market so was wanting/needing goals.

Jon; I think we're both looking at different black-and-whites :P

If a player's arm is out and the ball hits it, but the end result is to their advantage, then does that mean it's a foul merely due to the advantage?

Actual instances of handball are always subjective, but the rules try to be very specific - or at least cover all bases. I think the best compromise is to increase the role of technology in teh game and allow for there to be an external referee to views incidences and advises the man on the ground. Best suggestion I heard was to do something similar to what you see in tennis - allow both teams a certain number of "check it more closely!" shouts per half or game. Rather than surround the ref when they think he made a bad decision (whether right or wrong - the ref, as we know, never changes his mind) they can get a review/replay/second opinion.

There should be more consideration/flexibility for adjusting the game, given the technological advances in recent years. Considering there is tech that exists that can give the correct judgement on out-of-play/over-the-goal-line incidents, why not allow it at the top level?

(I understand that part of FIFA's old-fashioned approach is to do with how they couldn't roll out such tech to all teams at all levels, but I think it's far more sensible to at least start... blahbalhlalblalhalbla)

It was handball, simple as.

Accrington match called off after Tom Bender head injury

Accrington Stanley defender Tom Bender is recovering in hospital after a head injury which forced a cup match against Tranmere to be abandoned.

Bender, 18, was knocked out in a collision with two players in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy second round.

He was treated for 30 minutes on the pitch, with players ushered away as he was given oxygen and put on a drip.

Bender regained consciousness in hospital and has been diagnosed with severe concussion.

That's quite scary, took them 30 minutes to get him off the pitch. He seems to be stable, hope he recovers fully.

If a player's arm is out and the ball hits it, but the end result is to their advantage, then does that mean it's a foul merely due to the advantage?

If you gain an advantage from a handball of course it's a foul.

Edit-

Heard about that earlier MadDog hopefully the lad makes a full recovery.

Jon; I think we're both looking at different black-and-whites :P

Actual instances of handball are always subjective, but the rules try to be very specific - or at least cover all bases. I think the best compromise is to increase the role of technology in teh game and allow for there to be an external referee to views incidences and advises the man on the ground. Best suggestion I heard was to do something similar to what you see in tennis - allow both teams a certain number of "check it more closely!" shouts per half or game. Rather than surround the ref when they think he made a bad decision (whether right or wrong - the ref, as we know, never changes his mind) they can get a review/replay/second opinion.

There should be more consideration/flexibility for adjusting the game, given the technological advances in recent years. Considering there is tech that exists that can give the correct judgement on out-of-play/over-the-goal-line incidents, why not allow it at the top level?

(I understand that part of FIFA's old-fashioned approach is to do with how they couldn't roll out such tech to all teams at all levels, but I think it's far more sensible to at least start... blahbalhlalblalhalbla)

I'm absolutely all in favour of technology, it works in every other sport (Rugby, Ice Hockey, American Football, Cricket, etc) and only serves to better the sport and stop so many wrong decisions. They keep pandering on about technology not being compatible with football and not tying in with the image of the beautiful game. Bullshit, football is absolutely no more a technical sport than any of the others and it needs to be implanted yesterday.

As for the handball rule. In my view, the whole ball to hand/hand to ball argument is far too generic to cover all the bases. The Van der Vaart goal is a perfectly good example of that. Did he mean to control the ball with his hand? No, I don't think he did but he did gain a clear advantage from doing it. The ruling should be applied in the same way any other foul is judged. Whether it's deliberate or not is not going to answer all the questions that could be posed.