Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

Shouldn't Cech have gone there?

How is that any different to when a player commits a foul but the ref plays advantage and then goes back to give a player a yellow card?

No, he didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity. Wish the ref in the 2006 CL Final did the same.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity. Wish the ref in the 2006 CL Final did the same.

He did to Adebayor who was the player clean through. He prevented Adebayor from scoring by illegally bringing him down. I don't really see how that isn't even a yellow for Cech.

He did to Adebayor who was the player clean through. He prevented Adebayor from scoring by illegally bringing him down. I don't really see how that isn't even a yellow for Cech.

Exactly, he denied Adebayor from scoring regardless of the fact that the ball then fell to Bale. I'd have liked to see it pulled back for a penalty but can understand why the advantage was played, should have least given a yellow if the ref didn't see it as a 'professional foul'.

Would have kinda been nice for Cech to be dismissed so he wouldn't be available for the Arsenal game next weekend, but ah well.

Commentator just explained it. Apparently you can only be carded when the occurrence doesn't halt play if it's for violent conduct. If he'd done it miles away nowhere near the ball and just punched Adebayor in the face, he would be given a red. However, as the ref let play continue the rules state the keeper can't be red carded. But yes, I agree it should've been a yellow.

@MadDog There was contact - the angle of that gif isn't the best to show it - but it certainly wasn't a penalty. There was definite contact between the feet of the defender and Young, but it was a soft penalty. He DEFINITELY could've stayed on his feet and it was basically a dive.

As for the goal line decision? I also thought it had gone over at first, but this is yet another clear example of why football needs some goddam goal line tech. Stupid set-up.

Exactly, he denied Adebayor from scoring regardless of the fact that the ball then fell to Bale. I'd have liked to see it pulled back for a penalty but can understand why the advantage was played, should have least given a yellow if the ref didn't see it as a 'professional foul'.

Would have kinda been nice for Cech to be dismissed so he wouldn't be available for the Arsenal game next weekend, but ah well.

I can understand why the advantage was played, but Cech deserves some form of punishment. Not even giving him a yellow just seems like a bad call to me.

Ramires for Chelsea. 3-1.

The most he could give was a yellow afaik. It isn't preventing a goal scoring chance if they score. :p

Preventing one for who? The player or the team? Ade was definitely prevented. Pretty sure Bale was offside anyway...

Commentator just explained it. Apparently you can only be carded when the occurrence doesn't halt play if it's for violent conduct. If he'd done it miles away nowhere near the ball and just punched Adebayor in the face, he would be given a red. However, as the ref let play continue the rules state the keeper can't be red carded. But yes, I agree it should've been a yellow.

Ah, fair enough. Seems a bit...shitty, though.

Anyway, game appears to be over now. Part of me wonders whether or not Spurs would sell Modric if Chelsea offered them another £40 million. Seemed very ordinary today and I've heard that he hasn't contributed to a goal or assist for 3 months now.

Mikel kicked out. That definitely should've been red.

Malouda makes it 5 for Chelsea now. Thinking about Chelsea's attacking players, I think that'll be the difference when they play Liverpool. Drogba, Mata, Malouda, Sturridge and Lampard. That's a lot for Liverpool to deal with. Over one game, my money's on Chelsea.

Great interview from John Terry. Fair play to him he just said "I didn't think it went in to be honest" and went on to say they were lucky that it went in their favour but that it just gives another good reason for goal line technology. I don't really like him as a player/person, but at least he was honest rather than saying "I didn't see it" and made it into a positive point about why we need the tech.

No matter what anyone says, the second goal being given did change the game. It meant Spurs had to go for a more attacking 4-4-2, which is why they were carved open towards the end.

Great interview from John Terry. Fair play to him he just said "I didn't think it went in to be honest" and went on to say they were lucky that it went in their favour but that it just gives another good reason for goal line technology. I don't really like him as a player/person, but at least he was honest rather than saying "I didn't see it" and made it into a positive point about why we need the tech.

He says that, yet he is clearly seen telling Van der Vaart to "leave it alone" when he's talking to the Ref right after the goal is being given.

Yeah fair play to him. Although I thhink he was celebrating before the decision was made, which given that comment is a pretty dickish thing to do, like influencing the ref to give a goal even despite knowing that it wasn't one. But I guess most players would do the same.

The advantage rule was invented for the very reason. You either have one situation or the other, not both. Ref played the advantage Spurs scored, no harm done.

That has to be the most even 1-5 I've ever seen though, Chelsea didn't really dominate except on the scoreboard.

The advantage rule was invented for the very reason. You either have one situation or the other, not both. Ref played the advantage Spurs scored, no harm done.

That has to be the most even 1-5 I've ever seen though, Chelsea didn't really dominate except on the scoreboard.

But both situations are not equal at all. A penalty and a red card is far better than scoring a goal. (completely different argument, I know) Besides, if Bale was offside like I think he was, then it should've been no goal and it should've been a penalty and a red. It completely changes the game. Even giving a yellow card to the keeper changes a game because they could pick up another yellow later on.

I don't think it changes the outcome, as I did think Chelsea were stronger throughout. Drogba caused the defence massive problems and I thought Spurs defended really poorly.

Surprise surprise. The big decisions always go against spurs, and here's another one (Chelsea scored an equally cheating goal last season). Anyone who says Chelsea deserved to win is a little... Polite word polite word... Stupid. Tottenham dominated the first half and we 1-0 down to a worldy. The second half they got a free goal and that changed the whole game from there on. To say they should've won because of what happened after that is so simple minded.

Oh well. That's terrifying for the next 5 games and personally, (though I've said this for a while) I think Harry needs to go tomorrow. We've been awful ever since Capello left and it's no coincidence.

Surprise surprise. The big decisions always go against spurs, and here's another one (Chelsea scored an equally cheating goal last season). Anyone who says Chelsea deserved to win is a little... Polite word polite word... Stupid. Tottenham dominated the first half and we 1-0 down to a worldy. The second half they got a free goal and that changed the whole game from there on. To say they should've won because of what happened after that is so simple minded.

Oh well. That's terrifying for the next 5 games and personally, (though I've said this for a while) I think Harry needs to go tomorrow. We've been awful ever since Capello left and it's no coincidence.

I know the England talk must be unsettling, but it looks like Spurs have bottled it when it's gone down to the wire. They are not as experienced as the other top 4 teams in finishing in that position towards the end of the season and certain players have been underperforming.

Over the course of a season, players get tired and go off the boil. This is when the rest of the squad need to measure up, and this is where Spurs fall flat.

But both situations are not equal at all. A penalty and a red card is far better than scoring a goal. (completely different argument, I know) Besides, if Bale was offside like I think he was, then it should've been no goal and it should've been a penalty and a red. It completely changes the game. Even giving a yellow card to the keeper changes a game because they could pick up another yellow later on.

I don't think it changes the outcome, as I did think Chelsea were stronger throughout. Drogba caused the defence massive problems and I thought Spurs defended really poorly.

I get what you're saying and yellow could have been a fitting punishment with the advantage played. But I think it would have been incredibly harsh to send Cech off and give the goal.

Chelsea scored 4, you scored 1. Who deserved to win?

So you think it's a coincidence it happened since Capella resigned?

Though we capitulated at the same point last season... Ultimately, I really don't want Harry as our manager and worried after the past few months disaster that FA will offer it to Woy!

I get what you're saying and yellow could have been a fitting punishment with the advantage played. But I think it would have been incredibly harsh to send Cech off and give the goal.

Well dipshit they scored 5 :P

But it isn't as simple as that, and if you think it is as simple as that, then I have way over estimated you in my mind

It all depends on whether Bale was onside or not. It doesn't matter now as the game is over and I guess yellow probably is the right punishment.

So you think it's a coincidence it happened since Capella resigned?

Though we capitulated at the same point last season... Ultimately, I really don't want Harry as our manager and worried after the past few months disaster that FA will offer it to Woy!

Exactly. You haven't added any significant players to the squad since then, so why would the team perform that much better. It makes sense as to why they haven't. Harry needed to buy more strikers and more defenders.

Well dipshit they scored 5 :P

But it isn't as simple as that, and if you think it is as simple as that, then I have way over estimated you in my mind

You know dazzy we could try having a decent football discussion, but you always clamber for insults and misplaced higher ground.

What's the logic for Spurs deserving a win, being hard done by? Because of the one thing that counts (the scoreboard) Spurs got embarrassed.

We've been saying that for seasons! We've hardly spent anything in years!

You have to speculate to accumulate in football. It's impossible to compete in the League, domestic cups and Europe unless you make significant investments to the squad. You can go far, but to make the leap you have to spend a decent amount of money. Unless the youth system is seriously good. Even then, teams like Barca still spend massive amounts of money.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!