NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Just got to the boss of the forth Temple, he beat me so I turned off for the night.

I have to say, so far I am finding the Temples just about right, I have had some moments when I have been stuck for a little bit, but then it just clicks.

On Monday I was thinking "OK, so just a little fetch quest and I should be very near the end".

6-7 hours later...I'm still going that "little fetch quest".

9 hours in. Have just got into the second dungeon.

Still not blown me away though I am enjoying it. Really not been keen on

The two fetch quests I've been sent on before gaining access to the dungeons. First I had to find 3 kiwi things, and then 5 pieces of a key. The dowsing is really boring. Just seems like padding out before you get to the real puzzles

just done the 5th dungeon

WOW awesome

this may make my top three zelda

which to push out in favour of it, aLttP, MM, WindWaker........

this game beats windwaker easily..

I think not.

(So far IMO anyway)

Wind Waker has ten times the personality, charm, musical genius, magic and visual eye candy that SS seems to have.

9 hours in. Have just got into the second dungeon.

The two fetch quests I've been sent on before gaining access to the dungeons. First I had to find 3 kiwi things, and then 5 pieces of a key. The dowsing is really boring. Just seems like padding out before you get to the real puzzles

It gets worse.

A lot worse. Thankfully, the dungeons are probably the best there's been.

Only got to the 3rd dungeon last night. The whole "getting to it" was awesome and much longer than expected, yet when I got to the dungeon I thought... is this it already? As I was expecting to still be trying to get to it.

Had a massive facepalm moment though which took me ages to figure out.

When trying to get to the 3rd power switch, the Fire symbol one. It took me ages to figure out how to get the electric shell thing to the other side of the big hole. For some reason I thought I was meant to somehow toss it up on the big blocks you can walk across with the chest on to and carry/throw it all the way to the other side.

I was scratching my head wondering how I was meant to toss it to the top of the blocks. Took about 10mins (all my hearts and using a fairy in bottle due to holding the thing too long too many times) before I suddenly hit myself when I realised I could use the Hook Beetle to get it across :heh:

Wind Waker has ten times the personality, charm, musical genius, magic and visual eye candy that SS seems to have.

How do you measure all of those things? Sparkles? If so, how much magic has Wind Waker in kilo-sparkles?

So far, Skyward Sword gives Wind Waker a good spanking in my book, if only for being nearly perfectly paced and not dragging me through the great boredom (read: ocean) that was Wind Wakers overworld. That's before considering I'm enjoying the more linear and focused dungeons, the light and fast paced exploration "puzzles" in the overworld, boss fights and the motion controls immensely, while I can't even remember half of Wind Wakers dungeons, but can distinctly remember being very disappointed in Wind Waker's lack of anything that deserves to be called a coherent land mass.

In terms of music and visual consistency, I must say Wind Waker was better or more memorable at least. But after the first four dungeons, and in the new area leading up to the fifth, Skyward Sword is on par with what I remember from OoT, despite all its flaws. I must be strong and stop playing now, as it's not doing my studies much good. Will see how the game's other half stacks up to that around Christmas.

It just can't beat my fuzzy twelve-year-old's memory of being completely absorbed int OoT's world though.

Edit:

It's the same type of exploration and puzzles you'd be doing in dungeons, if they hadn't trimmed down the "find half a dozen small keys to get the new item and then find half a dozen more"-aspect for this game (thank god for that). It's just in the pre-dungeon area now, a lot more fast paced and with some things that don't attack you on sight for a change. That is, if you don't constantly run around dowsing, which is essentially like using a "super guide" to beat a level in Mario. Luckily, you don't have to in the first place.

Ignore dowsing and you might even enjoy that there is something to do in the areas surrounding dungeons. That's more than could be said of Twilight Princess for the most part.

Edited by Burny

This game continues to be awesome.

But why didn't Link just climb over the rubble at the third temple. Honestly.

It's annoying the hell out of me! I keep getting messages saying the thread title has been changed. :mad:

:kiss:

I really don't get why some of you aren't finding this game to be awesome...

Different expectations, different opinions. I don't think there'll ever be a Zelda that is universally loved again. I don't know if there has ever been one either. After all, there are even those, who maintain that ALttP is the pinnacle of the series and 3D Zeldas were various degrees of boring. People just not getting into motion controls, no matter how good they are, doesn't help either. As does people experiencing faulty motion controls and blaming it on the implementation, when it's actually "homemade" problems, like blocking the sensor bar/heavy interference etc. that create those issues.

If I'd start to over-analyze my few complaints with Skyward Sword or just expected it to create a similarly coherent world as OoT and MM, I probably wouldn't like it either. I'd be too busy disliking that it isn't like those other games instead of enjoying its pace, awesome boss fights etc..

Edited by Burny

Only got to the 3rd dungeon last night. The whole "getting to it" was awesome and much longer than expected, yet when I got to the dungeon I thought... is this it already? As I was expecting to still be trying to get to it.

When trying to get to the 3rd power switch, the Fire symbol one. It took me ages to figure out how to get the electric shell thing to the other side of the big hole. For some reason I thought I was meant to somehow toss it up on the big blocks you can walk across with the chest on to and carry/throw it all the way to the other side.

I was scratching my head wondering how I was meant to toss it to the top of the blocks. Took about 10mins (all my hearts and using a fairy in bottle due to holding the thing too long too many times) before I suddenly hit myself when I realised I could use the Hook Beetle to get it across :heh:

Haha, I did that as well :P Kept getting frustrated because I kept getting losing health and couldn't be bothered to leave the area to hunt for hearts. Eventually I thought "There has to be a easier/better way to do this" then it hit me :P

Anyone leave a certain flying shop without buying anything?

Beedle drops you through the floor! Not my fault he increased the price 600% and I didn't have enough rupees.

It's annoying the hell out of me! I keep getting messages saying the thread title has been changed. :mad:

Sorry I just couldn't help it :hug:

I think not.

(So far IMO anyway)

you got some good points. music, SS cant match up to windwaker nor MM nor OOT, but it is better than TP. koji kondo not composing anything in it apart from 1 song is a big reason of that and also the zelda series has an incredibly high standard for music. i think judged by itself the SS music is actually really good bar a few weak tracks(the flying music sounds like a rip off of the back to tge future theme) visually i dont think any game will ever look as good as windwaker either, which is pretty sad considering how old it is. but ss is still very high visually and i think the charm of ss is better and alot more consistant than WW. WW was overall an empty, uneven and even unfinished feeling game all in an amazing looking visual style, with great music. SS is a more consistantly great overall package.

On Monday I was thinking "OK, so just a little fetch quest and I should be very near the end".

6-7 hours later...I'm still going that "little fetch quest".

I've heard about this :/

Needless padding. Is it worse than the several fetch quests you do between dungeons 3 and 4? That was literally my most frustrating experience with any game this generation tbh. I explained it to my housemate (who's a Zelda fan) and he couldn't believe the amount of things you have to do before you even GET to the damn dungeon.

Me too, was doing exactly what you were before I figured it out.

Oh. Also I had a massive session last night and completed dungeon 4. Absolutely incredible! One of the best dungeons I've ever played in a Zelda game! The boss was just brilliant, loved every second of it.

I've heard about this :/

Needless padding.

Apart from the first part of it, it's all been really good.

Apart from the first part of it, it's all been really good.

Ah that's good to hear! How many hours are you into the game?

Sad to say that I did that too.

Were the fetch-quests that bad? Wasn't it like.. Go to Skyloft, go to Eldin, fetch propellor, solve puzzle, get song, get the Water Dragon Scale, climb to the top of the tree, swim to the Water Dragon, fetch Sacred Water?

That doesn't sound like a lot of fetch quests to me and each part of the quest is different from the previous.

I really don't find the "fetch" quests bad at all. They're barely even "fetch"...I think you're just overstating it

Were the fetch-quests that bad? Wasn't it like.. Go to Skyloft, go to Eldin, fetch propellor, solve puzzle, get song, get the Water Dragon Scale, climb to the top of the tree, swim to the Water Dragon, fetch Sacred Water?

That doesn't sound like a lot of fetch quests to me and each part of the quest is different from the previous.

I downright enjoyed most of it and wouldn't call anything but the last part padding.