NEurope
Retro_Link

Darksiders II

I used to read Joe Madureira's comic, Battle Chasers. Didn't realise it was him who made this game series.

Anyway, I watched that video and it was very interesting, especially the bit about genres going in and out of vogue. If I haven't picked up Darksiders II on any other console, I'll probably get the Wii U version.

Wii U Extras...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/darksiders-ii-death-comes-to-wii-u

Effectively there was little way to acquire all of this material save for purchasing several versions of the game - until now.

That means the Angel of Death weaponry (a Best Buy offer) or the Deadly Despair speed boost for your horse (an Amazon offer) will now be available to you on Wii U, free of charge. The Maker's Armor, Shadow of Death Armor, Crucible Mode and a variety of community content will be added as well. Vigil is also building the first wave of downloadable content - Argul's Tomb - into this port, adding another 2-3 hours of content into an already gigantic game. The developer also plans to continue DLC support for the Wii U version down the road.

Visually Darksiders II seems to be on track to meet the bar set by its counterparts. The area of the game we played was still in development, and therefore featured more bugs and frame rate issues than would be typical. Still, on the whole, the Wii U version seemed to match our established expectations - no more, no less. Smaller details, including using the GamePad's set of speakers to isolate some sounds, attempting to create a depth effect, were reasonably effective albeit not overwhelmingly necessary.

So in terms of content and general fidelity, Nintendo fans should rest easy. Darksiders II on Wii U will match up with any other version. The final hurdle that remains, then, is this - does this port, which arrives months after its counterparts, find a way to innovate or create an experience that can't be replicated? Can Nintendo's GamePad change the way we play an action-adventure game full of weapons, loot, vast dungeons and an upgradeable hero? The answer is yes - but it's easy to see how more can be done.

By far the most intriguing element of this Wii U port is what portions of the game are displayed on the GamePad's second screen - and how you can interact with them. By default, the GamePad's screen displays a real-time map that indicates Death's location and movement - no pausing necessary. Objectives can also be called up with a simple touch. For a game that frequently challenges players with twisted labyrinths, this is a huge, huge addition, streamlining an experience that can often start and stop all too often.

Vigil doesn't just stop with an in-game map. By touching an icon on the second screen, players can access inventory and weaponry. In a strange choice, however, players must press a physical button - down on the D-Pad - to access powers and abilities. These commands can be executed on the fly in battle, but all previous button shortcuts (pressing LB and an assigned button, for example) are still applicable. This port of the game doesn't eliminate options, it adds them. Some of the user interface specifics are a little cumbersome (particularly that D-Pad input), but after a bit of time we were used to it.

Far less significant, Vigil has also implemented gyroscope-based dodge controls into this Wii U port. They do not replace button commands, and for that we are thankful - attempting to shake a GamePad to evade attacks is probably one of the more clumsy things we've encountered on the new system. Again, it's optional, and here's hoping developers don't think of this new controller as an elaborate Wii remote. It isn't, and shouldn't be treated like one.

By and large what a small, 15-member team in Montreal is doing for the Wii U version of Darksiders II is commendable. Coming a few months after the other iterations of the game, this port not only features every last bit of content available to consumers previously, it also features extremely useful in-game displays that will allow players to seamlessly interact with inventory, skills, abilities and maps, often without pausing anything. These enhancements sounds small, yet they shift the experience in a fairly critical way. Furthermore, the team intends to allow the game to be pulled entirely to the GamePad, though that functionality wasn't available in the build we played.

This is more like it. Ultimate versions of ports are a great thing. Still think ubisoft are missing a trick not whacking the 3 previous assassins creeds on one disk as well. And batman would do better if it was both games and all DLC. Bio shock same etc etc.

The IGN review seems pretty scathing and by the way they talk about it, the 7.5 seems a little generous.

It was weird reading the Wii U specific section too where they were listing stuff like "it takes a little time to get used to playing on the Gamepad cos of the layout". What the fuck does that mean? It's only the same layout that you've been using to play the game all the way through with so far! And why does their inability to use the controls need to even be in the review anyway?

The IGN review seems pretty scathing and by the way they talk about it, the 7.5 seems a little generous.

It was weird reading the Wii U specific section too where they were listing stuff like "it takes a little time to get used to playing on the Gamepad cos of the layout". What the fuck does that mean? It's only the same layout that you've been using to play the game all the way through with so far! And why does their inability to use the controls need to even be in the review anyway?

Snap this one up, it's a piece of history now - last ever THQ release me thinks!

I was afraid to check this thread after seeing the state the WiiU build was in last month.

7.5 doesn't sound too bad.

*watches review from behind the sofa*

Edit- hmm, so the port's fine, but it still carries all the same issues the others have. Might pick it up if the price drops significantly.

Edited by Lens of Truth

The problem with a game like this is in a packed launch window it's just lost. I like the addition of DLC, but unfortunately it has nothing to make it stand out.

The real problem with this game is that it's just not very good. Which is a shame because the first game rocked.

It was weird reading the Wii U specific section too where they were listing stuff like "it takes a little time to get used to playing on the Gamepad cos of the layout". What the fuck does that mean? It's only the same layout that you've been using to play the game all the way through with so far! And why does their inability to use the controls need to even be in the review anyway?[/QUOTE]

Analogue sticks above the face buttons makes more difference than you'd think. Also the face buttons configuration is different to what has become the standard this generation. We've become used to the advance button through menu's A on 360 and X on PS3 being the bottom button, back being B/Circle. but on the Wii U the A is where B/Circle would usually be.

It caused me initial problems playing Rayman Legends and backing out of menu's by mistake.

I started playing this today, was looking forward to it as well as I loved the first game, but there is some nasty screen tearing going on while just playing on the GamePad. Shame. :(

I have to ask purely because i have the PC version from a while ago and havent installed it yet. Is the dlc available for this game or is it ever coming? Id like to pick it up but only if i can get the full package.

Around halfway through ish, it's ok but a very repetitive formula. But scything the baddies, a slow secondary smash then hopping back to administer the kill shot with your gun is very satisfying.

You know what's heartbreaking? I bought this version for £35 so I could have the option of playing it on the pad, but due to the screen tearing I can't do that. I walks into Asda yesterday and finds the 360 for £12.50. :(

You know what's heartbreaking? I bought this version for £35 so I could have the option of playing it on the pad, but due to the screen tearing I can't do that. I walks into Asda yesterday and finds the 360 for £12.50. :(

That is annoying. I thought they might have fixed that issue (which is very prominent on Xbox/PS3) as other Wii U ports have. This digital foundry comparison with the PC version (on a budget gaming PC) looks almost identical to my eyes, so I think the engine itself has problems:

That is annoying. I thought they might have fixed that issue (which is very prominent on Xbox/PS3) as other Wii U ports have. This digital foundry comparison with the PC version (on a budget gaming PC) looks almost identical to my eyes, so I think the engine itself has problems:

On the TV it's fine, so far at least, but the tearing on the gamepad is shockingly bad.

Odd. If anything the lower resolution should make it run more smoothly :wtf: In gamepad mode is it duplicating what's on the tv or sending it only to the pad screen? Maybe they just didn't code it properly.

How is the game in other respects? My brother seems interested in it so I might pick it up for him.

Odd. If anything the lower resolution should make it run more smoothly :wtf: In gamepad mode is it duplicating what's on the tv or sending it only to the pad screen? Maybe they just didn't code it properly.

How is the game in other respects? My brother seems interested in it so I might pick it up for him.

I haven't put much time I to it yet. Just ran around getting the basics sorted. Most of the reviews have this pegged as a good game but not as good as the original.

Around halfway through ish, it's ok but a very repetitive formula. But scything the baddies, a slow secondary smash then hopping back to administer the kill shot with your gun is very satisfying.

One of the worst things is that even on hard it's still really easy.

One of the worst things is that even on hard it's still really easy.

It is easy most of the time (not sure about my setting - probably normal) but I have died during combat mostly when I've walked into a "boss" fight and I'm swarmed by enemies and I'm concentrating on administering mass beatdown. I just don't notice the health bar, as far as I'm concerned I was dancing around like a fairy shouting "Can't touch this".