NEurope
Nintendohnut

The Apple Thread

For instance, if you scroll all the way down on a website and then try to scroll again there is some sort of "rubber band" holding the website. You see a grey bar and it seems that the website is bouncing. (In Safari at least.)

Oh, like on iOS? If apple are advertising that as a big feature.........

Yes, exactly. But I don't think they are - I just happen to enjoy bouncing the websites. Sadly for me...

Edit: Also annoying about Lion: If you untick so that Lion doesn't restore your previous applications upon rebooting the computer, it also doesn't remember how your desktop icons were arranged. I have some on the right side and some on the left side but when I rebooted all my icons where on the right side together.

Furthermore, I can't make é (or any other letter with a ´ over it) on Facebook.

Edited by MindFreak

Looking at getting a new Macbook, nothing wrong with my current one but I like to upgrade fairly regularly. Would anyone be interested in buying my current one? It's the white one that has just been discontinued, I bought it last April. It's never actually been moved off my desk and is in cracking nick if I do say so myself. I was looking for maybe £200 if anyone was interested. I can provide more deets if needed.

I could put it on ebay, but I can't be bothered :heh:

Still got this?

Anyone had an iphone not be able to get past a restore? My sister has just got an iphone 4 and when trying to connect to itunes for the first time it tells her it needs a restore, downloads all updates etc then 3 quarters of the way through the status bar on the phone, same point everytime we try it fails. We get "unknown error 9" which when I click on more info says its a usb problem, losing power to the phone.

Weve tried it with 3 different usb wires, 2 different PCs and multiple ports on those. Ive read on the net that some people needed to delete AVG, turn off the firewall, update iTunes etc. Ive tried all of these and nothing. She is going to go get a replacement at the weekend but does anyone know if there is a solution we can do to fix this before then?

Something very strange and completely wrong happened to me today.

My boss was after something that he could use to access emails and his computer that was bigger than a phone but not as cumbersome as a laptop.

So I suggested the iPad.

He went out and bought one right away, and asked me to set it up. Here's the worrying part: I was fairly impressed. The size of the keyboard make it very easy to type (although it still need some big improvements - the characters on the keys representing what case they're currently in and numbers/symbols on the keys you can press-hold to use).

I'd still never buy one (as I have zero use for one), but for my boss' needs is pretty perfect.

Haha it has that effect on some people.

I'm absolutely with you on the keyboard thing - I really wish it would switch from lower to upper case when caps lock or shift are activated, but remained lower case at all other times, as it's easy to accidentally type upper case letters by accident.

They're definitely still a luxury item, but if you can afford one and would use it regularly they're certainly not a waste of money.

Still got this?

I do, although I'm gonna be looking for more than what I originally said as the new recycle and re-use program that Apple has launched is offering me a good bit more than what I had originally thought. PM me if you're interested or just curious.

Something very strange and completely wrong happened to me today.

My boss was after something that he could use to access emails and his computer that was bigger than a phone but not as cumbersome as a laptop.

So I suggested the iPad.

He went out and bought one right away, and asked me to set it up. Here's the worrying part: I was fairly impressed. The size of the keyboard make it very easy to type (although it still need some big improvements - the characters on the keys representing what case they're currently in and numbers/symbols on the keys you can press-hold to use).

I'd still never buy one (as I have zero use for one), but for my boss' needs is pretty perfect.

I think they're awesome. First time I used one I was sold. A guy in my office doesn't like Mac's at all because he's so used to Windows. However he picked up an iPad which was lying around and fell in love with it. He's usually against new technology and stuff like that.

To be honest, I saw a bargain and was jumping for it :P

I'm not uninterested though. If you can PM me the spec and price I'll let you know. I'll have to think about whether or not I actually need it though, not sure I actually need a desktop, laptop and iPad.

I think they're awesome. First time I used one I was sold. A guy in my office doesn't like Mac's at all because he's so used to Windows. However he picked up an iPad which was lying around and fell in love with it. He's usually against new technology and stuff like that.

I fit this category. Though now I'd like a Windows Tablet, if a good one (battery life/screen quality) existed because I find the limitations and lack of software (that isn't junk) annoying.

I'm not saying I don't like it, I use my iPad every day, but it's definitely got severe limitations.

My boss is currently using the desktop/web version of Gmail because he doesn't understand the (unofficial) gmail app or the default mail client.

I want an iPad but don't really need one.

Somebody please convince me not to buy one coz I fear it may happen. :cry:

Consider what else you could buy with the money. For $500 you could put together a fairly decent computer, get a new monitor or two, or all sorts of other stuff that might actually help you be productive. For the most part an iPad is just an entertainment item, you probably already even have multiple devices that can do the same thing (smartphone, iPod, laptop etc.).

How about: it's a waste of money and pretty much useless if you're in any way able to deal with technology?

How about: it's a waste of money and pretty much useless if you're in any way able to deal with technology?

Trollolololol

Erm, nope that didn't help.

What a load of shite.

The ipad is a fantastic device which I now use daily since ditching the laptop for a desktop. Great device, and I would call myself a 'power user' it fits my needs really well. Turns on instantly, does emails, great for casual Internet browsing. The ipad isn't intended to replace a computer, its to compliment it.

What a load of shite.

The ipad is a fantastic device which I now use daily since ditching the laptop for a desktop. Great device, and I would call myself a 'power user' it fits my needs really well. Turns on instantly, does emails, great for casual Internet browsing. The ipad isn't intended to replace a computer, its to compliment it.

I don't think you're helping the situation.

What a load of shite.

Here's what I think: if you're not very techically proficient, it's awesome. It's the easiest way to "get things done" if one isn't very tech-friendly. My dad and my two uncles all bought one, each one for the 3 of them (it's cute, I call it the TriPad), and for them... hell, it's excellent. For our generation, though... you're much better off with a netbook, as the iPad just does less for a much higher price. It's the ultimate unneccessary luxury in the current tech world.

I have absolutely nothing against apple and I actually own many of their products (iMac/iPod/iPhone user over here!!) but I don't have anything for them either... they do what they do well, but they don't do it better than anyone else... just flashier and much more expensive. Just clearing that up so you don't go accusing me of trolling.

It's sad that so many people think they actually need any of these gadgets to go through life. It's pretty much utterly useless if you have a pc, the ipad is.

Here's what I think: if you're not very techically proficient, it's awesome. It's the easiest way to "get things done" if one isn't very tech-friendly. My dad and my two uncles all bought one, each one for the 3 of them (it's cute, I call it the TriPad), and for them... hell, it's excellent. For our generation, though... you're much better off with a netbook, as the iPad just does less for a much higher price. It's the ultimate unneccessary luxury in the current tech world.

I 100% disagree with you. I'm one of the most proficient people using technology and have been using computers for 3/4 of my life. I would say I'm a power-user and know far more about them and how to use them than the majority of other users. I have/had a netbook and far prefer using my iPad than I do the netbook.

I don't think it's fair to say the iPad does less for a higher price as it's a different product. It's intended for casual usage, a spot of browsing here and there, replying to a few emails etc. That's exactly why I have one. I have a desktop computer through in my room which I use a lot but when I'm in the living room I don't want to have a laptop sitting on me the whole time. I like being able to pick up the iPad and browse quickly, post on message boards etc. I love the battery life because its so long and I love it turning on instantly but still getting notifications for emails in its standby state which uses very little battery.

As I said in my previous post, it isn't there to replace a computer, it's there to compliment it.

Well, I have an iPhone that I use for the obvious and it also has my entire music collection on (around 1300 songs and building all the time!). It hooks into my car and saves me having to burn downloaded music onto cd's to listen whilst driving to work etc. Its always with me.

I have a Macbook that I use daily - most of the time to update my iPhone with music or to browse my favourite sites that I tend to visit daily. That's the likes of facebook, news sites, the forums, etc.

I will admit that though I am a mac user, I haven't even scratched the surface on what it can do, nor will I probably ever they are that versatile.

My reasoning for an iPad was just purely because I looked at getting a kindle recently. Nice price, very good product and everyone who has one loves it.

But whenever you go online and look for Kindle opinions, the iPad is always mentioned as a comparison device.

Now I personally don't get that as they are 2 different products catering to different needs.

However, it did make me research the iPad as I had never had any interest in getting one until I seen how much it can do - and as mentioned by a previous poster, how it compliments a pc / macbook.

I like to think my iPhone does that as it holds all my music.

But reading books on it looks pretty fun and easy, as does viewing movies.

Last Saturday I was bored out my mind - felt like crap, hadn't moved all day and wanted to just relax and watch somethin. TV was crap (as it always is these days) and I fancied a film. No films in this house. We're not filmy.

Anyways, checking on iTunes, you can rent for like £2.99! So I rented one and watched it on my MacBook and it was great. But it wasn't great trying to get comfortable on the couch with my MacBook lol.

And so I thought of the iPad again. I didn't realise iTunes held as much TV and movie content as it does. It surprised me and I found myself looking for stuff for around an hour - finding a looaad of films and tv shows that I would wanna watch.

And don't start me on the books!

I mean, yes, they are expensive. And yes Oxigen you are correct in saying you can do all this on a PC / MacBook - I totally agree. But I just imagine it being used a lot by me and by my family - sister, mum etc which is why I thought about perhaps picking one up.

I suppose it depends on whether it will fit in with the users needs at the end of the day.

If anyone on here has one - what do you guys use it for?

Oxygen: your coming across a little "superior", you're basically saying if know anything about computers they're rubbish, and if you're amazing on them then get something else. Well it isn't as simple as that. iPads are way more portable than a netbook, it's better for consuming ANY media, better for web browsing etc etc. But y have your single minded view and that clearly isn't going to be budged.

Aneres: if all that appeals to you, then get one. Viewing photos, listening to music, watching films, browsing the web, emails etc It's all amazing, I'd rather use my iPad than any other form of computer.

Also, come the autumn with the new iOS and you can wirelessly stream your iPad onto your tv (with apple tv), all your mac devices will be completely synced (one of the biggest things for me and my Businesses) etc.

And it is fantastic for readin books. I ike the kindle and for loads of readin, and just readin, the kindle is probably better. But the iPad it's still fantastic, the interact is amazing, I love the bookmarking and highlighting, how you can hold any word and get a dictionary definition etc it's brilliant. I think the bookstore (most things apple) is overly priced, but still great.

And then there's the AppStore, there are so many amazing apps and games it's unreal. So many free and cheap ones I couldn't even begin to name them here.

But like oxygen says, it's pointless and if you have a pc completely unnecessary. The AppStore, th instant start, the amazing battery life, the touch screen for browsing and working, the portability etc. All on and better on a netbook ZZZZzzzzzzz

@Dazzybee, you should download the Kindle App so you can get the books from there as well - you might be able to get a better price.

Scrap everything I said, my iPad changed reading to readin every time!!! I'd NEVER write like that :)

I have the kindle app. It is so much cheaper. The thing is, I just love the interface of the bookstore too much :)

The iPad is shit it's the worst thing ever made.

You can't say I'm a troll because i own a Mac and an iPod and an iPhone and a MacBook and a iPad and another iPod and I've had every iPod ever so if you call me a troll you're just wrong because I know more than you about apple and apple is shit and so is the iPad.

Why would you get an iPad when you can get a netbook or a galaxy tab which is 1000% better for less money or you could build a PC which is twice as powerful as an iPad for the same money. It doesn't even have a right click!

-----------------------

Sigh.

uhh...so I was just in here to say I have a real compulsion to but an iPad 2. But after reading nintendohnut's post i really don't feel like it any more, tbh I was just looking for something so i could watch pr0n in bed >__> but no way am i spending that much just to watch pr0n....soooo....I think i'll pass :P