Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Ring

Paj!

I especially love horror movies that manage to give the audience that creepy feeling without the use of gore and blood and guts. I also think the fact that there's a creepy girl that comes out of a television that can kill you by looking at you is quite a scary thought as well.

This. So much. I remember when Ringu came out in Hong Kong, there were reports of people throwing away their TVs after watching it...haha.

Random fact.

Ringu was based off a book, that book had a sequel called "Spiral".

When Ringu was being filmed in Japan the studio was also filming "Spiral" at the same time intending to release one after the other. There was a 3rd book called "Loop" which never made it to film (think it was dependant on success of Spiral),

Ringu as we know was a success.... The Spiral.... well spiraled into failure.... so much so that it was decided to ignore Spiral pretend it never happened and make Ringu 2 an original work seperate from the books. I always found that funny.

I did find Spiral on DVD years ago, bought it out of curiousity... yeah it was not good :heh:

There was a 4th book "Birthday" which was a prequel which I think Ringu 0 borrowed a bit from.

I have Ring novel, it's so good. Goes into a lot more detail than the movies, in a satisfying way. Anyone who enjoyed either Ringu or the remake should definitely try it.

I think I've mislaid my copy... :(

Yeah I read the book which was incredible, and it's sequel, which was a lot more dull. Sought to explore the science behind the first one, so it just didn't work. Still, the first book is awesome and something people should definitely check out (the english translation, obviously :))

The ring was better. I think only self-proclaimed movie buffs would think otherwise.

As a movie on it's own, The ring stands up better, Ringu looks like a damn 80's movie, low-budget or not.

The Ring Two is enjoyable in a "I liked the first film sense".

]

No it was an abortion of a movie. The whole film was fucking WATER lol. It also has one of the worst one-liner deliveries I've seen since troll 2. I never seen the japanese version but It's probably inevitably better.

I remember going to see The Ring at the cinema, knowing next to nothing about it, and found it fantastic. Terrifying, but fantastic. I then rented the original on video and was really disappointed by how boring and slow-paced it was. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who prefers the remake - before reading this thread, I'd only ever seen people saying how much better the original was, and I never understood them..

Though I haven't seen the sequels, I would LOVE (even if it's shit) if they brought the franchise back with a new film - one where it explored the use of the internet and video sharing...and I'D WANT IT TO BE IN 3-D. :D

It would be the perfect film to be in 3-D! Samara/Sadako coming out of the screen.

I want this in my life. Since really, the plot of the film is the same as those old chain e-mails people used to send around saying you'd die if you didn't spread it. I can imagine this.

Though I haven't seen the sequels, I would LOVE (even if it's shit) if they brought the franchise back with a new film - one where it explored the use of the internet and video sharing...and I'D WANT IT TO BE IN 3-D. :D

It doesn't sound as if you know, so you'll be happy to hear The Ring 3(D) is happening.

wow that looks amazing

It's not. Like, it was at the start and then a load of things happened and then, out of nowhere, there was no ending. It should have been a good movie and it was right up until about 30 or 40 minutes through the movie and it just became really....I-can't-think-of-a-word-so-I'm-going-to-use-"meh". Better than a few horror movies and it's inventive but it really could have been a lot better.

You know when you have that feeling of watching a movie and you think "I could have made that better"? That's what I felt watching this.

I would recommend it to you if you liked The Ring or The Grudge but there's no creepy girl in it. :p

Edited by Animal

Most horror films evoke the feeling of 'I could've written this better'.

I was being sarcastic before, btw. It looked like a steaming pile.

Totally agree with you but I think there's a certain standard of expectations with horror movies. Like, as a movie, it's shit but as a horror movie of today, it wasn't that terrible. I don't know why I think this but it's probably because horror movies back then are different to horror movies now and horror movies of today are more likely to let us down as a movie.

There are horror movies out there that are so bad, they're actually entertaining but Chain Letter was just bad. I mean, it literally tells you that the police don't properly investigate into grisly murders but a young teenager from school does just by typing 'chain letters' into a search engine and it's literally the first page she comes across where she finds out about a 200 year old curse that kills people. It was just dumb!

It would be the perfect film to be in 3-D! Samara/Sadako coming out of the screen.

I want this in my life. Since really, the plot of the film is the same as those old chain e-mails people used to send around saying you'd die if you didn't spread it. I can imagine this.

I'm positive there exists a horror movie where people do someone online and get haunted by ghosts/cursed or something. Trying to find...

3D Samara would be SO SCARY but amazing.

I actually thought that the remake was awful. Truly awful. It had no suspense whatsoever, no build-up, no tension. Pretty much a Hollywood Z-movie with as little effort put into it as possible. It just felt cheap.

A few years back, I was really into Ringu, and have seen the second film and also the prequel. I remember Rizz was also a fan of the films, back on C-E I think it was.

The original is just so much better. It actually does seem like some care went into its craft. The dialogue and interaction between the characters is better as well. It may be slower for some, but it was intended to build up suspense and create tension, which I think it did.

I must say more in reflection:

I wish Ringu wasn't marketed/labelled as a horror film. The DVD case is ridiculous. If it was just a 'film' you had to deal with as is, I feel I might've been more stunned. I was expecting something else.

[/won't rant about trailers/film marketing...]

ALSO one other thing that was better in the original is that at least the reporter actually acknowledged her own impending doom/broke down/planned for shit. The american one just took a line from the original about making sure the guy kept trying to save their son etc.

I also kinda liked/kinda hated that the original guy was a medium. I'm undecided. It gave him more reason to be there in any case.

It ties in with your disdain for blurbs. Films have to be labelled right otherwise marketing is a distaster and nobody sees the film. If it wasn't called a horror, 'ring' could be about anything.

The movie is made knowing that the audience will expect horror, so why not inform the audience?

Ringu just felt like something else entirely.

I'd prefer trailers were just like this (I know they couldn't possibly ever but yeah shut up let me dream) -

A stunning thing. No film footage used.

But then its for Pink Flamingos which you can't really classify as anything/it's the only way to get across it's stunn'.

It ties in with your disdain for blurbs. Films have to be labelled right otherwise marketing is a distaster and nobody sees the film. If it wasn't called a horror, 'ring' could be about anything.

The movie is made knowing that the audience will expect horror, so why not inform the audience?

Yes! Hancock, which I think is a genuinely brilliant film, was positioned absolutely awfully. They made it out as some kind of comedy superhero film when it was actually much more a tragic love story.