NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I'm really looking forward to this! The trailer looks amazing. I love all the films!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edit:

Also, Jim Jarmusch is making a zombie film with amongst others: Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Adam Driver and Selena Gomez.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

Came here to post the trailer for Glass but @Sméagol beat me to it.

Cannot fucking wait for this. Unbreakable is very special to me and Split is just amazing (well, Unbreakable is, too). 

15 hours ago, drahkon said:

Came here to post the trailer for Glass but @Sméagol beat me to it.

Cannot fucking wait for this. Unbreakable is very special to me and Split is just amazing (well, Unbreakable is, too). 

I honestly had no idea this was getting made and just clicked on it while I was browsing the other trailers from comic-con.

I absolutely love Unbreakable. I remember seeing it at the cinema when it first was released and being blown away by the twist. I've still yet to see Split as it didn't look that interesting but I guess I'm gonna have to give it a watch now that it ties in with this

I'm absolutely floored that I have genuine interest in watching any M Night Shyamalan film, but Glass looks very interesting.

I just watched How to Talk to Girls at Parties, the latest film by John Cameron Mitchell. It's adapted from a short story by Neil Gaiman and I can't recommend it enough. Everything about it is right up my street, weird but grounded science fiction wrapped up in a story about young love set in Croydon at the height of punk. Wonderfully directed by John Cameron Mitchell and the score is fantastic, I really hope this film gains a cult following on home video and streaming, with the calibre of people behind it it deserves to be seen by more people than have checked it out so far. Anyone with an interest in weird science fiction love stories and films about the punk era please check this out!

On 7/22/2018 at 2:05 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I honestly had no idea this was getting made and just clicked on it while I was browsing the other trailers from comic-con.

I absolutely love Unbreakable. I remember seeing it at the cinema when it first was released and being blown away by the twist. I've still yet to see Split as it didn't look that interesting but I guess I'm gonna have to give it a watch now that it ties in with this

Spoiler
  Ah, sucks that you already know Split is connected to Unbreakable and Glass. It's still a great movie. James McAvoy is sooooo good in this. (Reveal hidden contents)

Just watched Coherence for the fifth time. 

It's brilliant. Even though I know basically everything the movie keeps me on the edge of my seat. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Just watched Coherence for the fifth time. 

It's brilliant. Even though I know basically everything the movie keeps me on the edge of my seat. 

Because of your post, I was looking for a blu-ray release (Strangely, there's still no US release (Strangely, I try to get everything from the country of origin if possible)). I knew what the results were going to be, but anyway..

One of the "if you like this" suggestions, was The Endless. I suspect that one will also be up your alley.

Just watched El Aviso right now, on Netflix (I missed it at a film festival), also pretty good. A Spanish mystery thriller about a cop who tries to warn a 10 year old boy because he thinks he's the next one going to die in the future because of patterns he recognizes. Similar murders happening in the past. Pretty good, though not fantastic.

Edited by Sméagol

It’s unclear whether or not it will be in place for next year’s Oscars, but the Academy has just announced that a new category for “outstanding achievement in popular film” is on its way, in an attempt to give films which are more popular with the public but less popular with critics a more realistic shot at winning an award. 

Not too sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it’ll probably drive up their viewing audience numbers, and I think it makes the Oscars much more accessible to a casual audience; on the other hand, it also reminds me of the creation of the “best animated film” category, which felt like a genuine attempt by the Academy to discredit critically-acclaimed animated films when compared to their live-action counterparts (and which is poorly decided anyway, clearly). 

The Fox purchase will have gone through by then anyways, and seeing as that will mean that the majority of blockbusters are all under one Mickey Mouse emblazoned banner, I’m struggling to see how this category won’t be a monopoly. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

I feel like they should just go the whole hog and introduce awards for specific genres too. The credibility of the Academy Awards has been slowly dissolving over the past few years anyway - they may as well just morph the whole thing into the glitzier version of the MTV Movie Awards that it's always been under the surface, they just need to stop pretending winning an award holds any weight to people who aren't among a very select group of US based filmmakers.

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:12 AM, killthenet said:

I watched The Dark Knight trilogy in 4K over a few nights this past week and although Batman Begins doesn't benefit much from the increased resolution and dynamic range both sequels benefit enormously thanks to having substantial stretches shot in IMAX. The aspect ratio changes are a bit jarring at first but accentuate the difference in clarity between 35 & 70mm and are probably the most impressive visuals I've seen in UHD, I'd recommend anyone looking for an impressive show of what 4K can bring to the table check out at least the opening heist of The Dark Knight in 4K.

Not knowing much about this myself, how does this work - 35mm in 2.35:1 and 70mm in 16:9?

Personally, I'm much rather filmmakers started switching to 16:9 as standard.  It looks so much better in the home.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Not knowing much about this myself, how does this work - 35mm in 2.35:1 and 70mm in 16:9?

Personally, I'm much rather filmmakers started switching to 16:9 as standard.  It looks so much better in the home.

The 35mm scenes (so the majority of the film) are letterboxed in the conventional way but the 70mm scenes use almost the entire screen so they are essentially twice the size of the 35mm scenes. As I mentioned it is a bit jarring switching between the two, especially when they use 70mm for establishing shots before cutting to 35mm for the rest of the scene but you get used to it after a while. Basically just proves how much better IMAX is than standard 35mm mainly because of the aspect ratio being better suited to modern TV's. 

I think most filmmakers will stick with the standard 2.35:1 for the foreseeable future which is a shame as when watching them at home it feels like less of a spectacle than some TV shows because of the difference in image size. The film industry is still so geared towards the theatrical experience though that it's unlikely they'll ever make concessions towards home viewers so we just have to hope more films are shot entirely in 70mm but even for box office powerhouses like Marvel and Star Wars the cost would seem prohibitively expensive.

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 1

We were scrolling through Netflix looking for a film to watch and we came across Midnight Special. Neither of us knew anything about it, so went into it blindly. I really enjoyed it and it just seemed to tick all of the right boxes. Sci-fi - tick. Interesting premise - tick. Satisfying musical score - tick. Lots to talk about once the credits roll - tick. You could tell that they were going for a Close Encounters of the Third Kind sort of vibe, particularly with the atmosphere, not giving too much information away quickly and just the general aesthetic. It also has that uplifting climactic scene that you find in Close Encounters, that moment of awe and wonder. So yeah, a nice little hidden gem of a film. :) 

Looking forward to seeing Crazy Rich Asians and glad it got bumped up a few months here.  I'd watch Constance Wu in pretty much anything, but good to see it getting good reviews too.

giphy.gif

This cover is also quite nice:

Me and my mates went and seen The Happytime Murders last night. Film was pretty bad. There were a few funny bits here and there but a lot of the material that I found hilarious was already seen in the trailers. I was hoping for something like Sausage Party, which slayed the lot of us when we went and seen that, but falls flat and most the writing just isn't that funny. Still, it wasn't all bad. With about 10 mins to go until the movie finished, the fire alarms went off in the Odeon and we had to be evacuated. We stood around for 5 minutes, got sent back to our screen and seats and were then gifted a pass that allows us to see any movie, on any screen and seats, including IMAX and in premier seats. Score. :D They then put on the remainder of the movie for us to finish watching.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Me and my mates went and seen The Happytime Murders last night. Film was pretty bad. There were a few funny bits here and there but a lot of the material that I found hilarious was already seen in the trailers. I was hoping for something like Sausage Party, which slayed the lot of us when we went and seen that, but falls flat and most the writing just isn't that funny. Still, it wasn't all bad. With about 10 mins to go until the movie finished, the fire alarms went off in the Odeon and we had to be evacuated. We stood around for 5 minutes, got sent back to our screen and seats and were then gifted a pass that allows us to see any movie, on any screen and seats, including IMAX and in premier seats. Score. :D They then put on the remainder of the movie for us to finish watching.

Jammy! What are you planning to watch next?

20 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Jammy! What are you planning to watch next?

We were talking about it on the way home and realised there's really sod all coming out that interests us. We'll go see Venom but I'm not using the ticket on that.

I got tickets like that because when we saw Star Wars the teens in front of us were little shits and kept talking, using their phones and even threw stuff at some random people. Someone complained during the film and they came and asked if they would leave and they said no and the staff gave up so I complained after. 

Paid £12 for a pair of tickets and ended up seeing Coco on the recliners in Leicester Square which would have cost £40.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

We were talking about it on the way home and realised there's really sod all coming out that interests us. We'll go see Venom but I'm not using the ticket on that.

Maybe Teen Titans? If you want to have a laugh. I had a great time with it.

If you don't want to laugh, maybe BlacKKKlansman. I'll be seeing that one myself soon.