Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Pokémafia 9 : Red and Blue

ReZourceman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it was a great game, thanks Rez! If you look on the mafia forum you'll see us panicking about whether my voteblock actually worked on tales. I really (honestly) used it twice in the game and neither time did the players vote, so I didn't know what would happen. When tales voted and it didn't count we finally relaxed a little and focused on convincing you guys that tales was evil. It took a lot of convincing!

Yeah we really made sure you got lynched that day Zell, sorry. We saw it as an opportunity and you being silenced pretty much spelt your doom :) you were unlucky tbh, but we were very glad of it as we needed townie lynches desperately after you discovered Jonnas.

Yeah I think a lot of the fault for Zell's lynch was on me. I believed he was ho-oh and everything he had said about who he roleblocked, but I thought he must have came back in time if he was from Gold and we were in a red/blue universe...

Anyway great game Rez, I'll definitely join the next one.

Again, I never ever even implied it. I replied to this accusation (lol) on the mafia forum, and quoted the post in which you guys decided it was a good idea.

No, ur mom :heh:

A fair point. But really I just looked at it as being Red/Blue in the sense that it was mainly Kanto Pokemon.

Still excludes Ho-oh and Lugia :p Anyway, just don't include Ruby/Sapphire in the Gold&Silver mafia

Fantastic game, let's hope Gentlemen's II can live up to this one :wink:

Oh lord... :heh:

I didn't think the updated sprites and game mechanics (like shinies) were a problem. The old sprites, despite being nostalgic, are pretty shit compared to modern standards, and they wouldn't fit with the colour identification thing ReZ has got going. The main idea, that we were back in Kanto with the old Pokémon we know so well and love, was definitely fulfilled. :)

Including Ho-oh and Lugia was still a bad move in my mind, though. Seriously, ReZ, how did you EVER figure those were Red/Blue material? :heh: I think it's fine for the host to make unpredictable moves in order to confuse things - in fact I think he ought to - but it just pissed us off because it was against the spirit of what this game was about. Like I said: Yoda in a Power Rangers mafia.

However, while I understand the frustration of people being lynched unfairly like Zell and Eenuh, you shouldn't really take it too hard or blame anyone. Mafia games are all about paranoia and suspicions, and in a well-constructed game the townies won't win by waiting for confirmation or solid evidence.

Just so you know, I don't blame anyone in particular (a big thank you to anyone who didn't vote for me!). I'm not taking it too badly, I just needed to vent my feelings (I didn't get a chance to because I was silenced). I do understand this is all part of what mafia games are like, and the mafia were would obviously want me lynched.

What got to me was the Ho-oh thing, was it really so hard to accept? Sure, everyone was expecting just Kanto pokemon, but when it turned out Ho-oh was in the game, you just accept that Ho-oh was in the game! When you first start a mafia game, you don't know any of the roles or the characters and you should never predict what those roles are going to be. Besides, the names of the characters are almost completely irrelevant. It's just a theme. You don't judge people on character names, what matters is the role. I was lynched on the basis for being Ho-oh, that's what annoyed me.

I don't really understand how it's against the spirit of the game. Maybe against the spirit of the theme, but the theme is essentially artificial. Every themed mafia game can be written with standard vanilla roles.

Just so you know, I don't blame anyone in particular (a big thank you to anyone who didn't vote for me!). I'm not taking it too badly, I just needed to vent my feelings (I didn't get a chance to because I was silenced). I do understand this is all part of what mafia games are like, and the mafia were would obviously want me lynched.

What got to me was the Ho-oh thing, was it really so hard to accept? Sure, everyone was expecting just Kanto pokemon, but when it turned out Ho-oh was in the game, you just accept that Ho-oh was in the game! When you first start a mafia game, you don't know any of the roles or the characters and you should never predict what those roles are going to be. Besides, the names of the characters are almost completely irrelevant. It's just a theme. You don't judge people on character names, what matters is the role. I was lynched on the basis for being Ho-oh, that's what annoyed me.

I don't really understand how it's against the spirit of the game. Maybe against the spirit of the theme, but the theme is essentially artificial. Every themed mafia game can be written with standard vanilla roles.

I understand the need to vent. That's to be expected. I honestly don't remember if I ended up voting for you or not, but I did become accepting of the fact it was true towards the end when it was confirmed that Ho-oh was in the game. But you have to look at it from the town's point of view: It seemed like the textbook definition of a bad roleclaim at the time because we believed you were going to roleclaim Moltres. None of us thought it possible that Ho-oh was in it because it was clearly stated to only include first generation Pokémon. Ergo it DOES matter if the characters fit the theme or not, as it's a way for the players to test the probability of a roleclaim.

It doesn't matter if the theme is artificial or not, what matters is what we can expect. Of course we shouldn't be able to predict everything - it's part of the GM's job to shake things up - but like it's been discussed before, the players need at least some framework within which they have a chance of predicting stuff. In a DIY mafia, for instance, it wouldn't be unexpected to see Indiana Jones facing off against the Smurfs, but if you suddenly brought the Smurfs into an Indiana Jones-themed game, it would ruin the feel of it and make it too unpredictable. Basically, anything goes as long as people have a basic idea of what they're going into. Otherwise they get disappointed and frustrated.

Not bothered about going back to it but I'll assume the ones pushing the 'kanto pokémon only' vibe were mafia

I think Rummy and I were the most frustrated disbelievers, and we were both town at the time.

Us mafiosos voted for Zell because of something other than being Ho-oh, if I remember correctly (we accused him of being a mafia roleblocker, I think?).

Anyway, I just think that, if you're going to do a Red&Blue mafia, you stick to Red&Blue. The updated sprites and shiny pokémon weren't that bad (I cringed at first, but it was something really minor), but including Ho-oh and Lugia was just too much.

@Zell: I did believe you when you said it, after all, ReZ is way more likely to do such a thing than it is for you to lie about it :heh:

I just noticed something: how come Dannyboy wasn't roleblocked by chairdriver, that last night? I thought it was odd that Tales' investigation got that info, but it was correct, so why did Dannyboy's kill succeed?

(Not that I'm complaining, mind you :heh:)

Arcanine, Scyther, Alakazam, Golem, Pidgeot, Muk, Snorlax, Raichu, Megneton, Electabuzz, Magmar, Dragonite, Sandslash, Nidoking/Queen, Primeape, Poliwrath, Rapidash.

Snorlax would have been AMAZING. Fatty roleblocker sitting in the way of people that needed to be woken up with a pokeflute wielded by another player. In fact... red/blue being the only game with a pokeflute... woulda worked nice with a butterfree sleep-powder power.

Also neutral nidoking/queen partnership coulda been cool.

but having said that... thankyou once again ReZ your generosity with your time is much appreciated.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!