N-Europe

Give and Take

jayseven

Two questions, really.

What's the best present you've given, then what's the best received?

A few years ago me and a friend had a 'feud.' It started when I found his present, a bottle of coca-cola warped into a dali-esque shape, at a car boot. The awkward shape led to awkward wrapping, and I was unable to do little else besides, essentially, wrapping the entire thing in sellotape.

Next, from him I received a set of drumstickes with wrapping paper ENTIRELY encased with sellotape. For xmas I then gave him a massive ball of what initially seemed like pure tape... after half an hour of ripping and tearing and tears in general he got to the prize... two rolls of sellotape. A "hilarious" exchange of gifts that cemented themselves into history.

So yeah! What memorable gifts have you given/received?

Favourite gift I've given: Michael Jackson's Number Ones, to Paj, when we were 12, in 2003 and MJ wasn't coolagain yet, and everyone was hating on him for being a paedophile. I think its very symbolic. Learning to discern when popular things are actually great. Stunning, even against accusations of child abuse.

Favourite gift I've received: Battlestar Galactica complete series boxed set. As an wrong-time Christmas gift from Paj. One of the first times in my life I'd had a surprise and it being something I was genuinely enthralled by. And it was wrapped up and "From Trish". YESMUTHERFUKKAYES. ILIKEITLIKEIT.

Received - Nintendo Entertainment System

It was a birthday gift and whilst I previously had a C64 the NES was what truly got me into gaming. I had to work for it though my mom had made it a treasue hunt and I had to solve a whole bunch of clues to find it. I eventually found it in the boot of my Step dads car. I played Super Mario Bros for hours that day. Good times.

My Complete set of Harry Potter Special Editon books is a close second off of my ex gf.

Given - Giant plush Birthday Bear (Care Bear)

Whilst I bought my ex gf more expensive gifts such as a digital camera amongst others this is the one present that she cant be without. We are still great friends and I know she sleeps with it every night and just doesnt like to be without it.

Given: Gave my friend a One Piece 10th anniversary pirate flag (Shanks crew) which are all out of stock.

It was also made even better that the package took nearly three weeks to arrive and I told that I ordered something from Hong Kong for him

Which I apparently made him lose sleep over.

Recieved:

Favourite gift I've given: Michael Jackson's Number Ones, to Paj, when we were 12, in 2003 and MJ wasn't coolagain yet, and everyone was hating on him for being a paedophile. I think its very symbolic. Learning to discern when popular things are actually great. Stunning, even against accusations of child abuse.

Favourite gift I've received: Battlestar Galactica complete series boxed set. As an wrong-time Christmas gift from Paj. One of the first times in my life I'd had a surprise and it being something I was genuinely enthralled by. And it was wrapped up and "From Trish". YESMUTHERFUKKAYES. ILIKEITLIKEIT.

Yes. We're The Bestbestbest.

I would say given as Battlestar Galactica too. ^

Best received is arguably Michael Jackson too! I can't remember anything else that stunning or influential. Like...I "got" Bjork tickets/hotel/flight etc one birthday, but I asked for that/planned it myself, so felt less out of the blue. Etseterah.

Favourite Gift Given - Lamborghini Experience Day to my girlfriend

Favourite Gift Received - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City from my Mum :) Reason being is that I wanted this game and my mum said she would get it me for Christmas, Well GTA:VC Was out a while before Christmas, friends everywhere were getting it, but me, I was waiting, I re-call asking my Mum pretty much everyday if I could have it earlier, but to no avail. Christmas day came, I had quite a lot of presents, opened them all, NO VICE CITY!!! So questioned my mum. She did a fake act of "Oh I Couldn't get it, it's been popular / sold out etc" this charade carried on for at least 30 minutes, then she went upstairs and brought down a specially wrapped up present resembling a DVD case, and there it was... Vice City.... :)

Best gift given - I dunno really, I got my parents Elton John tickets one year. They were pretty expensive, unexpected and they enjoyed themselves. This is a lot harder to judge because some times it's not exactly what it is or how much it cost, there's setiment and other emotions that can make it the best. But I can't really judge them, it's for the receivers to judge.

Best gift received - Red Power Ranger costume. Seriously the most awesome thing I've ever gotten in my adulthood. Just so hilarious, unexpected and awesome. It was from my best friend and I know there's a huge amount of effort behind getting it and shows just how much he knows me and my humour.

Fave pressie given:

I guess it was about 4 years ago when i gave this guy i was involved with a huge Lindt chocolate bunny, cos that was his favourite chocolate. And a year's subscription to his favourite gaming magazine. He seemed so surprised and chuffed, that i guess that's why it was my favourite. Things went a bit sour between us though, and he didn't even wish me a happy birthday, that same year. Charming.

Also one Xmas i went to M&S and bought about 30 bags of chocolate rasins (cashier looked at me like i was nuts!) for my mum, cos she likes them. I bought a nice glass jar and filled it up with them. I made it look extra purdy by putting one layer of milk choc, then one layer of white choc, and so on, until it reached the top.

Fave received pressie:

Someone gave me a dummy tit once! Probably because i am quite babyish, or maybe we'd been talking about how i did not want to part with my dummy when i was a baby. Can't quite remember. Anyway it was just a jokey thing, and a really nice little pressie from someone i had just met. I don't see that person anymore, but i still have the dummy somewhere, just for the memory.