NEurope
or else you will DIE

Super Mario 3D Land

Downloadable levels... online challenges, I don't know... I'm just becoming more uncomfortable with games that once you've finished them that's it, they're sat there gathering dust.

I can't say the I particularly enjoyed the second 'Luigi playthrough' either (I got all the golden flags on that playthrough)... although I actually liked playing as Luigi... I did it because I already had two shiny stars and knew that speed running through the majority of the levels (bar a few frustrating ones) wouldn't take too long, and it didn't, I had it all done within an extra days play... so that's not really replayability.

I'm a completionist where possible, so that's the only reason.

There were a lot of clone worlds too, and Special World 8 became quite tedious with all the Shadow Mario Castle levels.

Though Fox Luigi was great! :D

Like I say, it was very enjoyable while it lasted.

Playthrough the levels again as Luigi did feel like a bit of a chore to me too. I guess it depends how you play. If you had a break and then went back to it after finishing with Mario to do it again as Luigi, it might seem fresher. Doing them back to back will make it feel more repetative. Most of the special world felt like a retread - because that's what most of it was.

I guess it depends how you view replayablity - is it a reason to play through the thing again or are you wanting to play through new bits? If it's new bits, it's not really replaying it if you've never played it in the first place. If you don't consider the special world or Luigi as replayability, then it would be classed as part of the same main campaign which is really 8 worlds over and over.

The number of Shadow Mario castle levels was rather annoying and it was difficult to tell one apart from the next by the end.

Online content and Nintendo... surely you know better than that :p Besides, I think they'd much rather save brand new levels for the inevitable sequel that will have a greater market penetration due to increased install base than what they could get from it online - even if they charge silly prices.

On a side note, I did just beat that final level with Mario and no power-ups. The beginning bit with the bouncing off of the awkwardly placed Goombas is by far the hardest part. Once I finally managed to get into the first warp pipe, I did the remaining 3/4 of the level first time. I think for Luigi, I'll go grab some tanooki leaves so I can make sure to get the Golden Flag at the end.

I got bored on the Luigi play-throughs. I also died more than 5 times on one level i'm sure, so that screws up the shiny stars for me. Not too fussed, but it does hinder my motivation to get it completely finished. I think going back to it later will make it more fun as someone said - give it that fresh feeling again.

I think the last thing i did was max out my lives. That was fun. Poor koopa troopa had a proper head-bashing for a good 10 minutes :laughing:

If you complete the game with every coin medal, but use a help block or something by mistake, is there a way to get the gold completion stars on teh file select screen or do you need to star a brand new save file :( ?

If you complete the game with every coin medal, but use a help block or something by mistake, is there a way to get the gold completion stars on teh file select screen or do you need to star a brand new save file :( ?

I think you need to start again.

For the record, just seeing a help block is enough to remove the shine from the stars forever (unless you restart your 3DS without exiting the level).

Yeah I remember being infuriated by that in New Super Mario Bros Wii. I ignored all the help blocks (why was there no option to shut them off completely.. The annoying sound they make), but I encountered them a lot because I wanted to get some of those big coins the proper platforming way and not go back to get a wimpy propellor hat power-up and do it the easy way. This is my reward :rolleyes:.

What does the Super Guide block look like in this? Can't remember if I've seen it or not - definitely haven't used it. I've seen a clear block that gives a lottery of power-ups out (which seemed to only appear after dying...) but I don't think thats it, right?

I started playing this again a few days ago (hadn't played it in ages, since getting fed up with the control-:woops:) to finish off getting the remaining star coins, gold flags etc... Anyway, I finally unlocked and beat the last stage today. :hehe:

Was good fun, although the last section of that stage was particularly stressful...

because I was jumping all over the emerging flip panel "THANK YOU" message that appears.

:D

It was only on my second playthrough as Luigi that I realized you could just jump on a moving platform and cruise over to the end! :laughing:

So all of that stress and pinpoint platforming the first time through was for nothing! :heh:

Oh well, it did make the final moments all the more exciting I suppose. :grin:

because I was jumping all over the emerging flip panel "THANK YOU" message that appears.

:D

It was only on my second playthrough as Luigi that I realized you could just jump on a moving platform and cruise over to the end! :laughing:

So all of that stress and pinpoint platforming the first time through was for nothing! :heh:

Oh well, it did make the final moments all the more exciting I suppose. :grin:

Yeah I hated this.

The first time I made it to this part of the level I did the same as you, except, I actually jumped on the moving platform, then quickly off it again because I thought it was gonna be a platform that fell or something... but instead I had to watch it sail away without me on it! :p

Tried to chase after it the other way, but no chance.

I didn't bother again and just watched the ending on Youtube! :p I was too fed up of that level by then.

Funny. I've started playing this again finishing the extra levels, getting the coins and flags. Reminded me how utterly incredible the game is.

I did everything you could first time through, so I had to sell it on as I wasn't gonna come back to it. If only Nintendo had offered downloadable challeges or some extra content.

I was probably a bit silly to sell this. It's the only 3DS game I regret selling.

Whilst I finished all the normal stages (ie. Worlds 1-8) and got all the initial Star Coins, I didn't complete much of the extra content. The main game was a blast - I loved it while it lasted - but there's something about the post-game content in Mario games that I find arduous since EAD Tokyo took over. Which is a shame, as I fancy a go now! :heh:

Fantastic game, and yet we're getting two shitty NSMB games next

Fantastic game, and yet we're getting two shitty NSMB games next

Just shows that Nintendo have forgotten about the gamers that made them what they are/were. The NSMB games are ok, but nothing on Mario Land 3D. This is just an excellent title indeed.

Forgotten? Mario land only came to a few months ago. These titles take years to make! Bloody hell, demanding much?!

Forgotten? Mario land only came to a few months ago. These titles take years to make! Bloody hell, demanding much?!

What he means is, instead of deciding on 2 NSMB games way back when, they could've gone and do something more interesting with Mario again.

Way back when? I reckon they've knocked them out in the past few months :)

I all honesty they obviously take less time. And also as a business decision they are more popular. I'd prefer them to take their tome on the "proper" mario games to be honest and don't mind these in the interim

Wow, totally loving this! It's got all of that mario charm that I felt had been missing for a long time before Galaxy came out. Seem to be churning through this quite easily ATM and managing to 3 coin every level on the way through. From what I'm getting hints of from above, I'll be done with this quite quickly. Is the second play through good?

Ah GOOD! I was going to say... Ive almost finished world 4 already and was getting worried. Loving it though. The propellor blocks are brilliant and so are the viewing binoculars.

One thing that I'm a little surprised about is that the worlds don't have much in the sense of a coherent theme. It's quit unmario especially as this takes so much from Mario 3.

Don't get your hopes up too high, Jamba.

Unless you loved the challenge comets in the Galaxy games. Then you'll love what this game has in store for you.

One thing that I'm a little surprised about is that the worlds don't have much in the sense of a coherent theme. It's quit unmario especially as this takes so much from Mario 3.

Personally I love that about it, keeps things fresh like in the Mario games. You can practically guess what the next world will be in the NSMB games

Don't get your hopes up too high, Jamba.

Unless you loved the challenge comets in the Galaxy games. Then you'll love what this game has in store for you.

I found them an appropriate level of challenge so I think I'll be sorted for this. But yeah, won't go over the top with my expectations; I'm just enjoying it so far.