NEurope
or else you will DIE

Super Mario 3D Land

Came home after two weeks away for Zelda and mario to be there waiting for me. The joy. Played world 1 of mario before bed and absolutely loved it. I don't understand the Y, X, B, A malarky, I don't understand people thinking it's too slow, too easy or the (early) levels too small. It's just entertainment in its absolutely purest form!! The fact the game is massive after you finish it and it gets better and harder just makes me better and harder! Well...harder at least!

To be fair the levels are short ( one of them can be beaten in 5 seconds! ) but people have to remember it's a handheld game, so the bite sized levels make perfect sense. As for the speed of the game, I don't know what all the complaints were about, it plays just fine as it is.

Woohoo! Just finished all of the post game levels while obtaining all the coins and gold flags at the same time. Not using a guide for anything in the game brings a massive sense of achievement. I've got 4 sparkling stars on my prfile now, just 1 more to go! :D

I mentioned earlier how I loved the timed levels and the chase levels, looks like I spoke too soon. The amount of them in the special levels is insane. Then they have the nerve to mix them together, while making Shadow Mario bigger!

:cry: Those levels caused me a few problems but the action was so intense I didn't mind. Trying to get the gold flag, coins and not dying 5 times while doing those levels was such a rush. :)

Having to face the boss again I got to hear the music for a second time and it really is an epic tune.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I'm also enjoying the route Nintendo seem to be going with the last Bowser fights. No longer is it just about hitting him and then learning a pattern. In the last few Mario games they have added a sort of chase sequence which really ups the tempo and makes for a nice frantic finish to the game.

I mentioned earlier how I loved the timed levels and the chase levels, looks like I spoke too soon. The amount of them in the special levels is insane. Then they have the nerve to mix them together, while making Shadow Mario bigger!

:cry: Those levels caused me a few problems but the action was so intense I didn't mind. Trying to get the gold flag, coins and not dying 5 times while doing those levels was such a rush. :)

S7-4 was particularly evil. Giant sized Shadow Mario and it's the level with the platforms that switch when you jump. Hard to align some of the platforms so you can make it across without stopping otherwise Shadow Mario will run into you.

I'm really enjoying this so far. I hated the first few worlds but then something just clicked and it feels like a handheld galaxy, which is a very good thing.

I'm collecting all the gold star ring medal things which is mighty fun and certainly adds a bit of longevity, skill and 64 type exploration!

One thing I'm not sure about though is how to get a gold flag pole. I've randomly got it a few times but wasn't sure how!

One thing I'm not sure about though is how to get a gold flag pole. I've randomly got it a few times but wasn't sure how!

Just hit the flag pole at the very top, which will net you an extra life and the golden flag.

I breezed through a few of the worlds as the other character while I was at work. I just need to do the post game levels with said character and then that should be everything done. I haven't seen the help box once, so i'm on track for the final sparkling star.

That's a shame about the shiny star thing if true. I'd accumulated so many lives that I didn't really feel much need to be careful in levels, especially when trying for fast times. I've seen that leaf box thing appear a few times as a result.

I wouldn't consider myself a bad gamer and I expect if I'd played it careful I would never have seen the boxes. But that's not the way I want to play my game. Nintendo could have made this additional help optional rather than compulsory.

A blemish on an otherwise exceptional game.

Wait... so? If you've used the help box thing, you can't get the last star? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUWiiU

Wait... so? If you've used the help box thing, you can't get the last star? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUWiiU

Na, I don't think it's that. You can get them just fine. You need to do the following to get them

1. Defeat Bowser

2. Clear all 8 Worlds

3. Clear World S8

4. Earn all Star Coins

5. Finish each level with both Mario and Luigi, with golden flagpoles

You don't need the stars to be shiny

Edited by Serebii

You can get all the stars, it's just that they won't be sparkling.

Finally got all 5 sparkling stars. The final level you unlock is freaking insane, very similar to Mario Galaxy's 2 special stage in terms of rage inducing. :D

You can get all the stars, it's just that they won't be sparkling.

Finally got all 5 sparkling stars. The final level you unlock is freaking insane, very similar to Mario Galaxy's 2 special stage in terms of rage inducing. :D

That's quite worrying, I've never been able to look at Hammer Bros. the same since Galaxy 2.

That's quite worrying, I've never been able to look at Hammer Bros. the same since Galaxy 2.

Actually it turns out its alot easier than I previously stated IF you have 2 of the post game Tanooki suits. You can just turn into a statue and avoid most of the enemies. :D I finished the level with both characters no problem using this method.

That's the game 100% done now. It has been an absolute joy to play, think I clocked around 16 hours on it. Some of the reviews stated that the game needed to be played in 3D to get through it, I have to disagree. I don't use the 3D on the 3DS and I got through the game fine.

Jeez Louise! Did you go through all the levels at the same time with both? Well done though, that is impressive.

4 stars done. Won't be long for the last one. Game's a lot easier when you don't have to worry about the Coin Medals.

Best. Mario. Game. Ever!

also

Best. 3DS. Game. Yet!

Currently sitting at almost 32 hours of playtime, 0 deaths, 1110 lives, 302 Star Coins, every level completed with both Mario and Luigi...

Now I "just" have to get the remaining 697 Star Coins, and I will at last be 100% done.

Game's a lot easier when you don't have to worry about the Coin Medals.

Pretty much this. You breeze through the levels when your only goal is to get to the end and hit the flag pole.

That's the game 100% done now. It has been an absolute joy to play, think I clocked around 16 hours on it. Some of the reviews stated that the game needed to be played in 3D to get through it, I have to disagree. I don't use the 3D on the 3DS and I got through the game fine.

Early on in the game, there are those isometric rooms and the long, isometric stretches of cloud platforms. I'd say the intention there was definitely for them to be viewed in stereoscopic mode. The flipside is that I couldn't judge the depth even with the 3D on, and so it became a case of trial and error. Only took one failure each though; the designers seemed to realise it wasn't a good idea and gave up on it.

Great game though, I agree. It's long, it's challenging and Mario runs at the right speed for me. I also loved the run button and the button arrangement - took me right back to the SNES - although I agree with others that they should be reconfigurable (after all, why not?) The Bowser fights were great: No gimmicks, just a pure test of dodging and jumping. The power-ups are probably the best since Super Mario World and the levels are a very careful balance of linear fun and non-linear secrets.

My only other (very minor) complaint, apart from the isometric sections, is that left-to-right movement is still better locked to a d-pad. There were quite a few occasions when I didn't press exactly right, although I suppose that's my fault. Nonetheless, this is the best Mario for ages. It takes everything I liked from the Galaxy games (the variety, presentation) and removes most of what I wasn't so keen on (the gravity effects, upside-down sections), although I should say I haven't done much of the post-game yet.

Am I the only one who dislikes Shadow Mario? Not pleased to see him back!

That said, Super Mario Sunshine still has something over this: dual analogue. The best type of gameplay allowed by one analogue stick is into-the-screen movement, moving straight forward within a margin of, say, 30-degrees. This game has that. The advantage of dual analogue, however, is that you can keep pressing forward all the time, constantly adjusting the camera so that it's directly behind Mario. Something that will hopefully be possible next time.

Why no slides though? The 3D is calling out for it! Super Mario 3D Land is great fun, but some giant slides (like in Mario 64 and Galaxy 2) would have given it that extra "Whee!" factor. If there's a sequel that has slides and uses the dual analogue of the Circle Pad Pro, it might well be the best Mario ever!

First off; I love this game, had it since saturday. Down to just the five-star level left, and have to say after a few quick goes am disappointed. I expected some awesome new Bowser chase level or something... Instead it just feels like the charmless tack-on level you get for doing everything in Galaxy 2. I don't know, these extra "unlock everything to get" levels just feel like fanmade super-hard levels like you'd find running on some emulator online.

Special levels dissapointing too. 80-90% of them are just slightly edited versions of the normal levels. And only those few cotsumes...? Man, what a letdown. I accidentally saw what they were yonks ago and just assumed "those are just the few ones they're previewing". Man, how wrong was I?

Repeat bosses, low powerup set, 5-level worlds, recycled special world.

The game is awesome and great fun though, but I can't help feel like it was half-finished.

Now to state the most obvious thing; clearly this game was a test to see what the engine could do. It's so obvious we're getting a Mario 3D Land 2 like we did with the Galaxy games.

5 stars get! Sparkle, sparkle.

Final level was tougher than Galaxy 2's. This one required some precise platforming jumps and some scary bouncing off Goombas and a Toad (:laughing).

Also decided to punish myself some more and do it as Luigi as well which was even tougher since Luigi is a bit more slippery :eek:

So, I see this game on display on the mall, and I can't help but be pleasantly surprised: Super Mario 3D Land was translated to Portuguese!

Now, I take a look at the Wiki article, and what do I find? This is the first "mainline" Mario game to be translated to Portuguese, Dutch and Russian. And the same thing will happen with Mario Kart 7.

I would've expected N-Europe to have reported this. I am disappoint, N-E.

As for the game itself...it seemed fun, but I was with it less than a minute. It did look to have some major potential there, though.

5 stars get! Sparkle, sparkle.

Final level was tougher than Galaxy 2's. This one required some precise platforming jumps and some scary bouncing off Goombas and a Toad (:laughing).

Also decided to punish myself some more and do it as Luigi as well which was even tougher since Luigi is a bit more slippery :eek:

Good man! I take it you got the shiny ones then?

I thought the level was easy once you use the statue technique. I kept struggling with the Toad jump but once I figured you can use the statue as soon as you above him, I destroyed the level.

You enjoy the message you get at the end?

:D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Best. Mario. Game. Ever!

also

Best. 3DS. Game. Yet!

Currently sitting at almost 32 hours of playtime, 0 deaths, 1110 lives, 302 Star Coins, every level completed with both Mario and Luigi...

Now I "just" have to get the remaining 697 Star Coins, and I will at last be 100% done.

How is that even.....

It's funny, I really enjoyed Worlds 1-8, but now I'm totally done with this game. The post-game stuff is just too difficult for me to be bothered with. I'm sure it's just me, but I feel I've spent enough time over the years failing at Mario levels for me to not have any tolerance for it at all.

Oh well, I'll probably still buy the next one. :hehe:

How is that even.....

Didn't you get the memo? I'm a Mario god.

317 Star Coins now... I really have to find more people to StreetPass with.

Edited by FireMeowth