NEurope
Happenstance

Grand Theft Auto 5

Lets hope this doesn't run like ass on the PC like GTAIV did/does. At least the brilliant job that was done on Max Payne 3 gives one hope.

... Other posts about running Rockstar games on a PC ...

I wouldn't get GTAIV for pc. Even though I run everything on max settings, the game looks worse than the PS3 version. Jaggies jaggies everywhere. And the game has a stuttering issue which has been attributed to a memory leak. It will be running at 60fps fine and then suddenly drop down to 30fps. There's a few more issues but i will see what mods can do when i can be bothered to hunt them down. Oh and cars still control like ice cream trucks.

You must have fairly weak PCs if that's the case. I can run GTAIV on reasonably high settings (not quite the highest, but it still looks much better than the console versions) at a fairly high frame rate. I built my PC a couple years ago with middle of the road components, so it's not an absolute beast or anything either. L.A. Noire runs on max settings as well.

The issue with LA Noire was that the facial capture was done at 30 frames per second, making it technically very difficult to run the game any higher than that, so the PC version is capped at 30 frames per second like the console ones. You don't notice this in the console versions because most console games are capped at 30 frames per second.

You must have fairly weak PCs if that's the case. I can run GTAIV on reasonably high settings (not quite the highest, but it still looks much better than the console versions) at a fairly high frame rate. I built my PC a couple years ago with middle of the road components, so it's not an absolute beast or anything either. L.A. Noire runs on max settings as well.

The issue with LA Noire was that the facial capture was done at 30 frames per second, making it technically very difficult to run the game any higher than that, so the PC version is capped at 30 frames per second like the console ones. You don't notice this in the console versions because most console games are capped at 30 frames per second.

Well let's see if you think this is weak:

Core i5 2500k 3.3ghz O.C to 4.5ghz IIRC

Radeon HD 7850

120 GB SSD

2TB HDD

500 GB HDD

16GB Ram

Windows 7 Ultimate Installed to SSD

Games installed to HDD

21" Monitor running resolution of 1680x1050 widescreen ratio of 10:9 IIRC

Runs Battlefield 3 oh high/max settings and I get a constant 60fps in multiplayer.

Runs Max payne 3 on max settings apart from SMAA achieving 60fps with v sync on.

Doesn't sound weak to me.

Have a look around. You will see many threads stating how poorly GTAIV was optimised for the PC. I would rather play the Vaseline smeared version on PS3 than the so many sharp jagged edge pc version which can't decide what framerate it would run at. I play with max settings on the PC and it somehow still looks worse than the console versions.

LA Noire I don't have an opinion as I never played it.

Mine's a bit lower in some areas, but still runs recent games smoothly.

Core i5-3560k 3.4Ghz

Radeon HD 7850

8GB RAM (More than enough for gaming - you only need more for lots of heavy applications)

Windows 7 on SSD

60GB SDD

1TB HDD

42" Monitor running at 1920x1080

Woah woah woah, you call that a monitor? That's a TV lad!

But yeah, I thought it was widely known that GTA IV's PC version is incredibly unoptimised? It's one of those games which can perform spectacularly, providing you're lucky enough to have the perfect combination of parts.

Mine's a bit lower in some areas, but still runs recent games smoothly.

Core i5-3560k 3.4Ghz

Radeon HD 7850

8GB RAM (More than enough for gaming - you only need more for lots of heavy applications)

Windows 7 on SSD

60GB SDD

1TB HDD

Ah! Nice choice in graphics card :yay:

And personally your machine tops mine in that your processor is capable of more and 16GB of ram is practically useless. I havent managed to use more than 4GB. Plus 42" screen!? Win. Although with that resolution, you may want to overclock the 7850 to 7870 levels, very achievable, or get a card in the 7900 series to achieve 60fps with max settings in newer games.

Woah woah woah, you call that a monitor? That's a TV lad!

But yeah, I thought it was widely known that GTA IV's PC version is incredibly unoptimised? It's one of those games which can perform spectacularly, providing you're lucky enough to have the perfect combination of parts.

Having already played the PS3 version, I decided to get GTAIV for modding potential on PC and because there was a steam summer sale for the complete GTA pack but the modding looks like a total pain and the wasted potential makes me not even want to play the game.

You're running it on better hardware than I am. For the record:

i5 760 @ 2.8 GHz

GTX 460 1GB (Not the SE version)

4GB RAM (I'll be upgrading this to 8GB very soon)

Windows 7 on an old 500 GB HDD with an additional 500 GB HDD for storage

With the game running at 1920x1200

I can run the game with these settings at close to 60 FPS:

Texture Quality: High

Reflection Resolution: High

Water Quality: Very High

Shadow Quality: High

Night Shadows: Very High

Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16

View Distance: 60

Detail Distance: 100

Vehicle Density: 100

Definition: On

VSync: On

Texture quality and view distance are the big ones. You should always turn those down before anything else with this game.

Looking good. I hope the gameplay is more San Andreas like as well, i.e. more fun and not ultra serious.

Does that stuff look next-gen to anyone?

No. Rockstar always publish hi res screenshots. I remember they did the same with Vice City when it was first shown.

I looks great, but is it any fun to play? After GTAIV I'm not going to assume anything.

I looks great, but is it any fun to play? After GTAIV I'm not going to assume anything.

It was ok, but to me what really stood out was the 2 episodes they were both a blast especially TBOGT

The city was the real star of GTAIV. So much love and attention to detail.

I just hope they've done the same for San Andreas.

I'm really hoping that they're going to make this more about driving - which was pretty much a means to get between areas and was a chore at times (probably why the taxi skip-to-location thing existed).

With the bigger areas, they could have some roads which are actually fun to drive on. Also, I think the city should be less "realistic" and more tuned to allowing great car chases.

Although this would all depend on completely changing the driving physics. On GTAIV they were way to hard to corner without slowing right down, and they bounced off the ground way to easily. The amount of times I tried to skip a corner and went flying because the tyre hit the kerb at a certain angle that made it go flying was annoying.

Actually, they need to completely change the physics engine they used.

Yeeeah not going to happen.

I suppose wonky/buggy physics are a fair trade for games like Read Dead Redemption.

But hopefully they can alter how the cars react to small bumps and cornering.

I thought they nailed it, personally.

I'm really hoping that they're going to make this more about driving - which was pretty much a means to get between areas and was a chore at times (probably why the taxi skip-to-location thing existed).

With the bigger areas, they could have some roads which are actually fun to drive on. Also, I think the city should be less "realistic" and more tuned to allowing great car chases.

Although this would all depend on completely changing the driving physics. On GTAIV they were way to hard to corner without slowing right down, and they bounced off the ground way to easily. The amount of times I tried to skip a corner and went flying because the tyre hit the kerb at a certain angle that made it go flying was annoying.

Totally agree agree about the cars they were just no fun to drive which in turn made GTAIV boring, you had to be careful to get round a corner, you couldn't just throw the back end out like in previous games and fly round the bends.

Totally agree agree about the cars they were just no fun to drive which in turn made GTAIV boring, you had to be careful to get round a corner, you couldn't just throw the back end out like in previous games and fly round the bends.

Exactly. I don't care how "realistic" the driving was, but it certainly wasn't any fun. Kind of weird considering the main selling point of the previous games, i.e. stealing cars and driving them around huge cities / landscapes... o_O

Just compare to SA. Cars, bikes, helicopters, jet engines, speed boats...whatever you could get your hands on, you just took and zipped through the whole county like a friggin' supersonic demon of speedy awesomeness. So great...

I had no problems with the driving physics in Grand Theft Auto IV. I was just glad the cars no longer flipped over as soon as you so much as looked at a bump in the road.

I thought they nailed it, personally.

Oh, god.

How I miss GTA and it's cheat codes:D

Fucking brilliant!