N-Europe

Wrist watch that can read pdf/txt files?

Oxigen_Waste

Yes, it's illegal and I think it's wrong. But really, who's it hurting? If we're being honest, 75% of what you study so hard is going to be useless in your future, so...

It's not hard. I passed much harder subjects. It's just stupid. It requires no knowledge whatsoever, just memorizing lots of crap.

And it's funny you mention I'm exaggerating how many people fail... if only you could read that post in Portuguese!!! I'll break it down for ya: basically there's 5 years in my course... the subjct is year 2. Meaning you can't take the exam if your year 1. This year there are 302 people enrolled in the subject. That means an average of 75 people per year.

My course has 60 people per year. :D

The real loophole here is... he pretty much let's you pass if it's your last year and if his subject is the only one you fail (so you won't stay behind a whole year just because of it). Which, sadly, means there's a lot of lazy people in my course, since there's so many people taking the class, which can only mean they're failing a lot of subjects, lol.

So you think its illegal and you still condone it? It hurts lots of people who have worked hard only to see them reach the same level as someone who merely cheats instead. I hope I never have to work with or manage (obviously not for, because they won't get higher than me ;)) someone like her and seemingly you. Your attitude stinks.

And, if we're being honest, around < 2% of what I study right now will be used because I'm going into something different, it may not necessarily be about what you are studying but your ability to learn/comprehend/ apply it. These skills are valuable in the working world that cheats won't be capable of having. There isn't a way to cheat in the working world/ you'd be caught out 99% of the time if you did.

Sorry, this isn't all aimed at you I'm sure you do work hard sometimes when you aren't watching films :p Just a general rant about all people I've known/strongly suspected of cheating in an exam.

I've had to study for exams for subjects in uni that I will never use again like Philosophy, Psychology, Politics, Sociology, Literature etc. Even though I hated most of these and didn't see the point in me studying them (what is an illustrator to do with sociology?), I still did and didn't cheat. I don't really see the point in cheating, other than fooling yourself. =/

One of my cousins was once caught cheating on an exam, which resulted in an immediate 0 on her grades. Which meant she had to redo the entire class (she was lucky the punishment wasn't worse). Not worth the risk in my opinion.

That's why I don't do group work. I always do them alone. That way, I've nobody to blame but myself, regardless of the situation.

You don't have a choice in my course, and I would guess most others too. We get put into groups and we have to work with people. Again, think about the future. In the workplace you're going to be made to work in groups/teams and you'll HAVE to do it. If you can't work in a team at university which is far more casual you'll never be able to do it at work.

Group work is a vital skill for a lot of professions.

So you think its illegal and you still condone it? It hurts lots of people who have worked hard only to see them reach the same level as someone who merely cheats instead. I hope I never have to work with or manage (obviously not for, because they won't get higher than me ;)) someone like her and seemingly you. Your attitude stinks.

And, if we're being honest, around < 2% of what I study right now will be used because I'm going into something different, it may not necessarily be about what you are studying but your ability to learn/comprehend/ apply it. These skills are valuable in the working world that cheats won't be capable of having. There isn't a way to cheat in the working world/ you'd be caught out 99% of the time if you did.

Sorry, this isn't all aimed at you I'm sure you do work hard sometimes when you aren't watching films :p Just a general rant about all people I've known/strongly suspected of cheating in an exam.

Yeah, I get the sentiment, I don't like the cheaters either. Hell, the only reason I'm gonna cheat is because the system is broken in this case.

Still, not that I'm condoning it, but they do get away with it. The number of vey successfull cheaters is actually immense. Working around the system is a precious skill, it seems. I don't much care for that 'cause I don't want/need to be rich, so I stick to my ownn guns.

You don't have a choice in my course, and I would guess most others too. We get put into groups and we have to work with people. Again, think about the future. In the workplace you're going to be made to work in groups/teams and you'll HAVE to do it. If you can't work in a team at university which is far more casual you'll never be able to do it at work.

Group work is a vital skill for a lot of professions.

I know. I'm great at group work outside school on many projects I work on at this film magazine. But I'm trying to keep a high average so I can get into a good top MBA, and since there's no individual evaluation within groups here, I specifically ask the teacher if I can't do it alone and explain why. So far, only one rejected the idea, so I've been lucky. However, as soon as that obstacle gets out of the way, I'll embrace group work gladly, I preffer it, much more productive when the group works well together.

I've had to study for exams for subjects in uni that I will never use again like Philosophy, Psychology, Politics, Sociology, Literature etc. Even though I hated most of these and didn't see the point in me studying them (what is an illustrator to do with sociology?), I still did and didn't cheat. I don't really see the point in cheating, other than fooling yourself. =/

True. But again, this isn't really a matter of not liking it, as I've already suffered through 4 law subjects much more complicated than this... it's just simply not functional at all. And when the system doesn't work, I don't obey it. And I'm not really fooling myself here as it's the last I'll ever see of this, since I'm not going into law.

Tu tás em quê já agora? Visto que também deves ser da UP, assim já sei.

Tou na FEUP. Engenharia Civil.

Tinha perguntado porque parece mesmo o tipo de coisa que o ISEP faria (só ouço horrores de vários amigos meus que lá estão).

As cadeira relativas a legislação, no nosso caso ou são exames com consulta ou trabalhos. Um colega meu no ISEP, à uns tempos, entregou um trabalho individual, mas como a prof dele estava de mau humor nesse dia, decidiu, do nada, chumbá-lo a menos que ele conseguisse especificar o decreto, artigo, página e alínea de uma dada demonstração no trabalho. Ele teve que responder na hora, sem consulta.

Portanto, desconfiei que fosse uma cadeira semelhante, numa faculdade fora da UP. Afinal é só um cabrão dum regente :heh:

E ouvindo isso do mestrado... Pá, realmente estou contigo. Com profs casmurros como esses, não dá pra jogar limpo.

Infelizmente, não te consigo ajudar, nem fazia ideia desses relógios. Nem sou de fazer copianços, só me ocorre levares alguma coisa dentro de canetas ocas, se não houver limite para o número de canetas que podes levar.

And...I apologize for this non-english post, I got a bit carried away :heh:

As a civil engineering student, I can assure you it's what's known in academic circles as a fuck load or work. Which I've been doing without taking notes into exams. Cheating bastard...

Yeah, my sister does civil engineering and architecture (both in one course, she's crazy) and has a massive load of work to do and things to study. And even though it's hard and she fails some subjects (which she has to retake), she doesn't cheat.

As a civil engineering student, I can assure you it's what's known in academic circles as a fuck load or work. Which I've been doing without taking notes into exams. Cheating bastard...

Yeah, my sister does civil engineering and architecture (both in one course, she's crazy) and has a massive load of work to do and things to study. And even though it's hard and she fails some subjects (which she has to retake), she doesn't cheat.

Hey, I never cheated! Yeah, there have been some subjects I've had to retake, and I don't condone cheating for any of these I've taken. It's just lazy, and you'll make a fool out of yourself when you actually get a job.

But in Oxi's case (he's not in Civil Engineering, btw), this exam he's about to take seems to have an incredibly broken system (I mean, letting students automatically pass if they've passed everything else? Are you kidding me?)

And if he doesn't pass "properly", he'll waste a year (Or may never get another chance, that part wasn't clear) before he can move to a Master's degree, which is what he wants/needs.

In an extreme situation like this, it's hard to justify taking the higher road. In the subjects I've taken, yeah, cheating is completely unjustified, but in this case, there are very few arguments I can make. I mean, he won't even need any of that for his career option, he only needs to know how to consult the legislation, but that's not even what they're asking him to do.

Hey, I never cheated! Yeah, there have been some subjects I've had to retake, and I don't condone cheating for any of these I've taken. It's just lazy, and you'll make a fool out of yourself when you actually get a job.

Wasn't directed at you, just a general post. Wasn't saying you cheated heh.

This post shouldn't be about how good or bad is cheating or if you do or not.

I arrived to this forum because i'm also looking for a watch that lets me read pdfs/ txt files...

One watch like this could be REALLY useful.

I found this youtube link..(i'm new, censored; v=PRWCekK3CHM) but doesn't meet my needs!

Keep the research!

I'm also of the cheating is fail opinion. Learning large amounts of meaningless things is actually fairly easy - you just have to attach meaning everything. Try a technique like the method of loci. That said, I'm very sceptical about the validity of exams as a method of assessment, especially academically. Although they seem to work pretty well for maths.