Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Aneres11

In all honesty I think the machine is going to struggle everywhere; just can't see it doing well. It may have a second life in Japan like the psp did. I would be a shame, but I'm confident there'll be some amazing games and ultimately success isn't everything. I'm really looking forward to getting it

The fact it's selling bad worries me as I do genuinely want it to do well as Nintendo keep dragging their fucking heels when it comes to bare basic features. That and I think the 3D is a bottleneck just waiting to happen so I'm interested in what the raw power of the Vita can offer portable gaming.

Yes, despite all of my bitching, whining and slagging Sony off, I really do want this device and I really do want it to succeed. But as I think some reviews have indicated with Uncharted and Wipeout, developers shouldn't aim for a console experience on a handheld. It's costly and doesn't work as you're just left with publishing games with a subpar experience.

This may be why it is struggling in Japan. The base unit with none of the accessories you may need (like the required memory card for some games) is more expensive than the PS3, the games available don't really cater towards Japanese audiences and those do are already available cheaper on the PS3 which is an extremely popular console in Japan.

In the west I think it will hit the ground running but slow down very quickly. The games are suitable for the market but it's going to be interesting to see whether people actually want them on a portable.

I'm still not understanding why Sony has stated that their target market initially are PS3 owners. Most people view portables and consoles as totally different ball games, they should target those and the ones who own a DS but haven't made the jump yet.

Not that this should be a handheld war; but what 'basic features' is the 3DS missing? It has some very good features even the mighty Vita doesn't have and is making huge strides with online. However much better at online Sony is than nintendo (and it is) motostorm and mod nation racers has no online which is insane for a racing game!

Let's hope there can be two great handhelds on the market for the first time in gaming history :)

Interesting reading...

Joystiq's retail Vita collection requires 255MB of storage

If you haven't heard by now, chances are very high that you will need a memory card to get much use out of that shiny new PlayStation Vita. Apart from requiring a memory card for PSN downloads, many retail games have their own storage requirements as well. After the break, we've listed the requirements for every retail title we have on hand (see image above, Rappy included for scale). We've also included the storage required for the downloadable Vita games available thus far.

The retail games we have add up to just over 255MB of required storage, a figure you might want to keep in mind before deciding which incredibly expensive memory card is right for you. It's also worth noting that a full 160 of those MBs are dedicated to FIFA Soccer.

?Army Corps of Hell - ~2.1MB (2147KB)

?Asphalt: Injection - None!

?BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend - 2MB

?Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - Zilch

?FIFA Soccer - 160MB

?Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - 4MB

?Little Deviants - 1MB

?Lumines: Electronic Symphony - 2MB

?Michael Jackson: The Experience HD - 300KB

?ModNation Racers: Roadtrip - ~1MB (1056KB)

?Rayman Origins: 5MB

?Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen - 4MB

?Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 4MB

?Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 64MB

?Wipeout 2048 - 8MB

Downloadable Vita titles

?Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - 1.15GB

?ModNation Racers: Road Trip - 1.15GB

?Super Stardust Delta - 208MB

?Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 3.2GB

?Wipeout 2048 - 1.6GB

Not that this should be a handheld war; but what 'basic features' is the 3DS missing? It has some very good features even the mighty Vita doesn't have and is making huge strides with online. However much better at online Sony is than nintendo (and it is) motostorm and mod nation racers has no online which is insane for a racing game!

Let's hope there can be two great handhelds on the market for the first time in gaming history :)

Lack of a decent messaging system (Letterbox being a separate app stunts its potential)

A working method of joining a friends game that isn't buggy as shit

A decent online gaming system that isn't limited to individual games (Mario Kart 7)

Voice chat (though that'll probably hit when Pokemon does)

Lack of service applications (Netflix is the only one and that is US only)

At least a couple of these should have been on the device from day one. It's a case of Nintendo being complacent when it comes to online features again. Vita has at least 4 of those that I have stated and has Netflix, Facebook, Twitter and Skype in the works.

Remember the good ol' days when the 3DS was doomed because it wasn't selling very well a few months after launch? You know, those fine times when $250 for a Vita was going to be an absolute steal.

I think it's more the shock of Vita under performing in Japan considering the massive surge in PSP sales over the past couple of years that's fuelling this opinion.

In all honesty I think the machine is going to struggle everywhere; just can't see it doing well. It may have a second life in Japan like the psp did. It would be a shame, but I'm confident there'll be some amazing games and ultimately success isn't everything. I'm really looking forward to getting it

All the Vita needs in Japan is either a Final Fantasy/KingdomHearts game or even better Monster Hunter. Once these games arrive the Vita will do fine over there. The 3DS struggled everywhere due to it's lack of must have software, but once the combo of Mario Land and Mario Kart arrived then people starting buying one.

Another idea ive read is that the Vita is suffering the backlash from Nintendos own poor launch. For what it is, the Vita is actually a good price and has a suprisingly strong launch lineup but because of the 3DS price drop a lot of people are just holding off buying one, expecting that to happen here as well.

You guys keep talking about Monster Hunter but if I was a developer I would put it on PSP not Vita!

I've been looking back through the 3DS sales figures from when it was doing badly and in Japan it never dipped below 26k a week, mostly bubbling away between 30 and 40k even at the bad times.

Maybe it's the case that when the 3DS came out it had no competition. Maybe currently given the choice of a 3DS and a Vita the Japanese don't see any reason to shed out the extra money.

Lack of a decent messaging system (Letterbox being a separate app stunts its potential)

A working method of joining a friends game that isn't buggy as shit

A decent online gaming system that isn't limited to individual games (Mario Kart 7)

Voice chat (though that'll probably hit when Pokemon does)

Lack of service applications (Netflix is the only one and that is US only)

At least a couple of these should have been on the device from day one. It's a case of Nintendo being complacent when it comes to online features again. Vita has at least 4 of those that I have stated and has Netflix, Facebook, Twitter and Skype in the works.

I think it's more the shock of Vita under performing in Japan considering the massive surge in PSP sales over the past couple of years that's fuelling this opinion.

Yeah, although I like letterbox as its own app, it's not a viable messaging solution. I want instant messaging so I can ask someone for a game and it needs to be multitasking so I can do it mid game. Baby steps for Nintendo here.

- is songs instant messaging then? The only thing letting Sony down is that don't some games disconnect from online?

As for joining players games. It works perfectly in mario kart. But just nothing else. But it's not a solution. It really needs game invites to make it much easier.

- excuse. MY ignorance. But I presume vita has this (I'm just presuming it does buy don't actually know)

The rest you say I just couldn't give a cack about but I suppose would be nice for some people. But no way would I check Facebook or twiter on the device. I mean, people don't even really use the web browser. Integrated sure, so you can give game and trophy updates but actual apps Id never use.

Id find Netflix, love film, YouTube type stuff better. More visual media.

Because I know relatively little about the vita, it's plotting what it's got and what it can do is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

First of all, thank you very much to @flameboy. I've bookmarked all those sites.

I played on the Vita today and, to be honest, I wasn't all that excited. Now admittedly, this doesn't mean too much as I haven't really been excited by an in-store demo since Super Mario 64.

My first impression was that the analogue sticks are tiny - certainly not as good as Nintendo's Slide Pad. But, I stress, this is just a nitpick and I don't think it would have any effect on how much I'd enjoy any game. The load times are also surprisingly long, but I hear that is more pronounced on retail games than built-in software (I must have been playing the latter for at least two of them, probably all three). Again, this is something that is exacerbated by being in a shop. I don't think they'd bother me when at home with a good RPG. All in all though, I don't think the Vita is something I'd carry around with me. It would generally be an "in-bed" gaming device. Some thoughts:

Gravity Rush - Might be a great game when you get into it, but perhaps not really "demo" material, as it starts more like an RPG (you have to find a certain character) than a platformer. Nice graphics, although it's no Wind Waker.

Super Stardust - Now this seemed fun. The appeal was immediately obvious - good graphics, good controls, addictive gameplay - just the sort of thing suited to a handheld. I can see why this might be considered the best launch game.

Ridge Racer - Just reminded me that I don't really like Ridge Racer. :heh:

If all that sounds negative, I don't mean to be. In a few years time, if there is a game I really want (like a Dragon Quest), I'll probably be saying how good the Vita is. Like I suspected, the hardware in itself is not exciting enough on its own, so I have to admit I'm sceptical for now.

P3P was on sale just before Christmas. Even then it was still ?17.49, though.

I'm sure it will be discounted again at some point but generally speaking you don't find out the specifics of special offers until the day they come into effect; an educated guess would be that it'll go on sale around the launch of Persona 4: The Golden or possibly The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena.

A few Qs. Would appreciate some help.

How do Amazon usually deliver stuff like this?

Is there any chance it might come on the Tuesday?

The reason I ask is there's now a good chance no one is going to be home to receive the delivery on Wednesday and I'm kind of wondering what to do about it. I cannot express how much I hate trying to sort out missed deliveries.

If you put down first class delivery for it, because of the price of the Vita chances are they'll stick you with a courier like HDNL or Yodel (same company, but Yodel seems to deliver a lot faster strangely).

I doubt it'll be dispatched on the Monday (for delivery on Tuesday), but I'm basing that on software release dates as I use them quite often.

I'm not sure what postage to recommend you as I've seen some people who pay for next day delivery get completely shafted, like my Amazon order for Sonic Generations. Paid for first class, got HDNL guaranteed next day. People who paid for next day got the same delivery method.

I'm not sure whether it's just for the Christmas season or not, but when I was working at Royal Mail second class post was held from sorting for at least a day in separate containers from what we had to sort. Though that's not to say people don't grab the wrong container and sort it any way, as I've seen quite a few people do it.

It's very unlikely that second class packages will get delivered the next day but Amazon usually tends to go to Yodel 48-72hour delivery for their super saver packages. That and they usually dispatch them last.

Im just going off the amazon forum posts from people who've been doing the live chat thing with amazon staff asking about this. Plus apparently for the 3DS launch a lot of the super saver people got theirs first and the others who paid more actually ended up getting it a day or so after launch.

Edited by Happenstance

Really? Shit man, that'd annoy the fuck out of me if I ordered it online.

It's a shame the difference between getting a vita online rather than in store is a massive saving. I've always gone for getting a new console in store on the day rather than online, but with ?20 off with a free 8gb card I don't see why any one would bother getting it elsewhere aside from the midnight launches.

A few Qs. Would appreciate some help.

The reason I ask is there's now a good chance no one is going to be home to receive the delivery on Wednesday and I'm kind of wondering what to do about it. I cannot express how much I hate trying to sort out missed deliveries.

It might be a bit late now but get it delivered to work?