NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

It's a shame after all these years we can't have a debate about two different gaming devices without resorting to fanboyism.

I'm not a fanboy. Have all three consoles and was hoping the NGP would be worth my investment. It's just not looking like it

A brilliantly well-thought out response to Serebii's post there.

It's a fair point though, isn't it? Serebii's knocking the NGP for having "all [the] same old stuff" whilst so far for the 3DS we've seen: two repackaged N64 games, another Nintendogs, a port of SF4, a new iteration of DoA, another Ridge Racer, etc, etc.

For the record I'm not bemoaning the above, it's the sort of thing you expect around the launch of a new machine. I just think there's a bit of a double-standard going on.

It's a fair point though, isn't it? Serebii's knocking the NGP for having "all [the] same old stuff" whilst so far for the 3DS we've seen: two repackaged N64 games, another Nintendogs, a port of SF4, a new iteration of DoA, another Ridge Racer, etc, etc.

For the record I'm not bemoaning the above, it's the sort of thing you expect around the launch of a new machine. I just think there's a bit of a double-standard going on.

Not to mention (and i'm absolutely not bashing him for this) he'd probably go out and buy the next Pokemon game with what ever colour of the rainbow they stick on the end of it.

I kinda want a PSP2 now more than a 3DS, just for the prospect of playing an awesome looking version of Wipeout on the go. Yes, I will pay any asking price for Wipeout.

Everyone has a preference, why does everyone have to call these preferences blind and that it's fanboyism.

People base their expectations on past experiences, and if they liked Sony's or Nitendo's last consoles, they will obviously be more positive about the next ones. If you have always liked Nintendo and they way the implement game controls. You're obviously going to be more accepting of a rear touch pad than if Sony made one and you have never liked their implementation of things.

Anyway, to me this looks like a portable PS3, a portable home console experience which was basically what the PSP had, and I never liked. It's going to have the mature titles, the FPSs and all that Sony stuff. None of which appeals to me. I have a PS3 already, this just seems like the same thing. It doesn't have Zelda or Fire Emblem or all the Ninty games I have always liked. So naturally I'm going to get a 3DS and not at PSP2.

As you said, it's to be expected from a new machine, giving customers a taste of tried and tested games and franchises to 'ease' them into the console.

However, I take issue with the way the 'fanboy' card is instantly pulled out should someone like Serebii comment on another brand of console (Lillster's comment - what?).

Because the comments are made so defensively Diag. And it's bitter.

I kinda want a PSP2 now more than a 3DS, just for the prospect of playing an awesome looking version of Wipeout on the go. Yes, I will pay any asking price for Wipeout.

You ever get to play Wipeout HD?

Not to mention (and i'm absolutely not bashing him for this) he'd probably go out and buy the next Pokemon game with what ever colour of the rainbow they stick on the end of it.

Was there any need to even begin this debate? Serebii never mentioned Nintendo at all.

Anyway... carry on.

You're clearly not familiar with my massive disdain towards the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon sub-series

FUCKING FAN BOYS.

With the current information of titles in development and possible price tags, I'm leaning more towards the PSP2 being a favourite here.

While Nintendo do make sequels (Well duh, they're a business), they at least try new things, not just same mechanics in a new setting (for the most part)

He was referring to this comment about Nintendo

Because the comments are made so defensively Diag. And it's bitter.

To me, the most defensive a bitter comment was the one Jon ST made that first replied to Serebii.

I'll get the NGP when some decent games come for it. Uncharted never interested me and the rest are all same old stuff

Because Nintendo aren't known for recycling the same games.

I like how everyone says they'd be better off getting a PS3 than paying for the NGP. The same could be said for the 3DS, which is identically priced as the PS3. 3D is supposed to be the peak of visual entertainment, to me that just doesn't go with the third rate graphics found on Nintendo consoles/handhelds.

I guarantee if Nintendo had stuck a rear touch pad on the DS, all the haters would be praising it as COMPLETE INNOVATION. It does worry me that it could get easily dirty but it could have some awesome uses in games.

Starting an argument right there.

He was referring to this comment about Nintendo

You mean the one that was made right after JonSt brought the goddamn topic up in the first place?

EDIT: Diageo brings the illustrations to my point.

The 3DS and PSP2 aren't even in competetion. Yes they're both handheld games consoles, but the 3DS is purely about gaming and wowing people with 3D without glasses and appeals to an arguably younger audience over all, the PSP2 is going after the Apple market, about multi-media, wowing people with PS3-like graphics and arguably aimed at an older audience.

They're not two versions of the same product, like trying to decide whether to get an 360 or PS3.

@Aimless, that was a stupid comment about the 3DS' games, because the PSP will get a Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, DoA and probably some updated ports/collections etc...

To me, the most defensive a bitter comment was the one Jon ST made that first replied to Serebii.

Starting an argument right there.

First off, it's JonSt.

Secondly, i'm not attempting to start an argument. It simply annoys me that someone states having the old stuff or familiar franchises is a bad thing when it's the same policy that the other handheld maker uses.

I also don't understand how that can be justified by the other handheld maker because they're including new control methods. I'm pretty sure the rear touch screen is new on a handheld gaming device.

If I was a fanboy i'd be in the DS board posting shit all the time, I don't.

Edited by Jon

I think people seriously need to drop this whole 'rehash' shit.

Every place is getting it. The Wii, 360, PS3, DS, 3DS, PSP, PSP2..

We're all getting fucked up the ass and the majority of us will still lap up that shit.

The PSP2 will enjoy it's PS2 ports, PS3 ports and FPS barrage.

The 3DS will get N64 ports, Dreamcast ports (Rayman seems to be the only example here), shovelware such as 'Touch! Babies' (AWWW YEEAH) and mini game barrage.

First off, it's JonSt.

Secondly, i'm not attempting to start an argument. It simply annoys me that someone states having the old stuff or familiar franchises is a bad thing when it's the same policy that the other handheld maker uses.

That's apparently OK though because the other handheld maker uses new control methods. I'm pretty sure the rear touch pad is something new on a gaming device.

If I was a fanboy i'd be in the DS board posting shit all the time, I don't.

Giant apologies for placing a space and capital letter in.

Maybe he meant to say, "The same old stuff I DON'T LIKE".

If you like Nintendo games and they rehash the same stuff, you will probably like it. But if COD makes a new game and you never liked the franchise, you're going to say it's the same old stuff [you never liked], it's not changing in a fashion that appeals you, therefore it's the same old stuff.

As you said, it's to be expected from a new machine, giving customers a taste of tried and tested games and franchises to 'ease' them into the console.

However, I take issue with the way the 'fanboy' card is instantly pulled out should someone like Serebii comment on another brand of console (Lillster's comment - what?).

I never mentioned Serebii or anyone else for that matter, so why is it you automatically think I'm taking the anti Nintendo side?

@Aimless, that was a stupid comment about the 3DS' games, because the PSP will get a Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, DoA and probably some updated ports/collections etc...

I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. I even explicitly stated:

I'm not saying the 3DS' lineup is any less valid than the NGP having versions of Uncharted, Killzone, etc. My point is that it isn't more valid, either.

It's a shame after all these years we can't have a debate about two different gaming devices without resorting to fanboyism.

They're both aimed at different people and are very different consoles. There isn't really any debating to be done.

They're both aimed at different people and are very different consoles. There isn't really any debating to be done.

So basically everyone is arguing for the sake of it?

Giant apologies for placing a space and capital letter in.

Maybe he meant to say, "The same old stuff I DON'T LIKE".

If you like Nintendo games and they rehash the same stuff, you will probably like it. But if COD makes a new game and you never liked the franchise, you're going to say it's the same old stuff [you never liked], it's not changing in a fashion that appeals you, therefore it's the same old stuff.

If you're going to direct something at me, please at least have the common decency to get the 5 letter username right.

I apologise if I offended people and probably didn't get my point across in the way that I should have. We all have our own opinions obviously and they are what they are.