NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

It's kind of irritating people act like the touch screen is nothing. So that's like saying everything the DS used it for over years wasn't anything special? Bullshit. Now developers have a chance to work with both a touch screen and a massive amount of power. They were undeniably limited by power and screen size to some degree on DS.

The touch pad on the back is interesting too. Any different inputs are welcomed. This reminds me of how whenever I play Wii games with the remote held sideways, I always wonder why they never use the B button to do anything, because I always want to.

Obviously the second analogue stick is a massive inclusion for all the hardcore gamers. This has almost instantly won over the entire section of the market who mainly focus on first person shooters. The only possible downside is if it's uncomfortable.

I do think the 3DS has a big issue this time around. Now you can say "Sure, just like DS vs PSP" but this DOES have some differences.

-dual screens are not new anymore

-therefore the only fresh new thing the 3DS to go up against the NGP is 3D effect

-can that actually win over the power of a PS3 in your hand?

The only game the 3DS has to even look like it can "compete" is Resident Evil. Nintendo's first party offerings are seriously not going to be helping seeing as mostly they all look like shit so far.

The only thing really that can "save" the 3DS to me is going to be price. If I recall correctly, the DS had a huge price advantage over the PSP. That probably WAS a big factor in what was chosen for Christmas presents, etc. If the PSP2 was like £299 in the UK, I think the gap would be small enough that Sony could have the edge.

Which one though? The touch-screen? DS had that years ago or the touch-pads? they're basically just replacements for triggers I'd imagine or the motion sensor? the 3DS has this...

Yes the PSP2 may have superior visuals but that's really all it seems to have over the 3DS as a game system now yes I'm sure the PSP2 will do more but then you could just argue that if you want to do more then there are other devices that already do what it does and more.

The visuals on the 3DS still look impressive even against the PSP2 plus they'll have added depth thanks to the 3D surely? Anyway I'm sticking with the 3DS because I believe that it'll actually be better as a games console.

Seriously, I'm not saying one is better than the other. This is a preference.

I'm talking about the touch pad on the back and from the screenshots, the 3DS doesn't compete with the NGP.

Also, as a PS3 owner I'm also tied into the system already which is a massive appeal. I have Plus, a gamer card (this thing has trophies and I love trophies), way better online infrastructure (and 3G) and it doubles as a mini-tablet (I toyed with the idea of getting a Dell Streak). Not to mention it has all the franchises that I love and I can't help feel encouraged by a lot of the initial developer reaction.

In the past few years, in my eyes, Sony has amassed the best first party studios and games.

This is my preference, though.

Edited by Daft

Of course it's preference and I do think that all three companies have a lot to offer in their own way, Sony have done well in these past couple of years... for me though I only purchase exclusive titles for my PS3 as that's all I'm interested in and I can't see the PSP2 having more titles on it that I want to buy than on the PS3 and being that my collection on that only consists of seven games I just can't see myself buying a PSP2.

I have a PSP and its remained untouched for months as in it's nice... and it complements the PS3 but that's about it, sure the PSP2 will be better but I just can't justify purchasing it as it's just not for me atm. :)

I'm not a PS3 owner, but in many ways the NGP does sound more appealing.

If it wasn't for the fact that on the 3DS, the 3D effect takes up a bunch of the system's power, I'd still like the idea of the 3DS more. When I realised that some games take a huge framerate hit from playing in 3D though or no longer have certain elements, all of a sudden it seemed less appealing, like it makes it seem like the 3D is more of a gimmick that isnt going to be used well if developers have to fight with considering whether to use it or push visual detail instead.

It takes me back to some quote by Iwata or something about how they made the 3DS "powerful" so that developers wouldnt think "I cant make this game on the 3DS". I think that was very naive of them though.

Of course it's preference and I do think that all three companies have a lot to offer in their own way, Sony have done well in these past couple of years... for me though I only purchase exclusive titles for my PS3 as that's all I'm interested in and I can't see the PSP2 having more titles on it that I want to buy than on the PS3 and being that my collection on that only consists of seven games I just can't see myself buying a PSP2.

I have a PSP and its remained untouched for months as in it's nice... and it complements the PS3 but that's about it, sure the PSP2 will be better but I just can't justify purchasing it as it's just not for me atm. :)

Yeah, sure. I definitely get that. My friend was calling me a fanboy for having the audacity to say that there's a place for both the 3DS and the NGP. :indeed:

I jumped from my 360 to my PS3 as soon as I got one because I couldn't justify XBL for how occasionally I played online and I was also tied to an HDD that was way too small. Now, like I said, I'm linked into Playstation.

I borrowed my friend's PSP a month ago. Played it like three times. :heh: I'll be sold on this if it's a sold as the PS3 is in terms of structure and services. I do love me some trophies. :D

The thing that gets me is, 3D without glasses is the main selling point of the 3DS. But I've heard a lot of reports that the 3D isn't even as good as one hoped, it halfs the framerate and resolution of games. It strains your eyes after long play sessions and also when you use motion controlled games you keep going of the "sweet spot" to view it. Oh and it hammers battery life too.

3DS kind of disappointed me, this looks more of a complete package.

Wow what a great announcement. This replaces my planned Ipad purchase. I think its killer that it can run Android apps. Funny thing is the rumour were other way round, instead its PSP running android store. Cheap but useful apps. Cheap games, big games etc. Productivity apps, media apps etc. This will give Nintendo a big headache.

The problem with the 3DS is that outside of the 3D which isnt even very good thanks to its low resolution and last last gen graphics it lacks any other unique features and uses. Nintendo got complacent there hoping 3D will make up for everything( it hsould initially for casuals and moms). Sony have gone all out with controls, to the OLED screen to online functionality. Its also now doing non entertainment stuff as well as being the best media portable on the market.

I can see this also being expanded on. In the future they could easy add a phone(Android, Symbian and Windows) or sell the chipset/platform to other companies ensuring a huge userbase. It takes the PS3 concept of convergence a step further.

Edited by Choze

Wow, usually I naturally set phasers to 'fanboy' and would be looking for holes in this.. but good lord this looks awesome

EVERYTHING you could hope for in a handheld, and alot more you didn't even realise you wanted.

I mean grats to nintendo they made all the right decisions with 3ds, but dayum.. this is just a whole new level of awesome.

I'd rather buy a PS3 tbh!... which I think I will soon.

Are the analogue sticks pop-up I take it?

Don't like the looks of it, they've got some seriously bad desigers... why even bother with that additional curve on the bottom?

I can't see the sense behind getting this. The iphone... has a phone, on top of the the extras. And the iPad has a far greater range of services, and a the screen size you'd need to apply them all on!

I think its killer that it can run Android apps.

I've seen that posted on forums but nobody seems to be reporting it...

Also: Sony would be bonkers to not sell this through 3 in the UK (and mainly-3G networks in the US) with added call functionality.

Edited by Cube

I like it. I feared it was going to look like the DS clone like prototype images. Thank god it doesn't, i've always liked the PSP design. I've no interest in 3D on a portable screen, so it will be the PSP2 or whatever it's gonna be called for me.

IT ALSO HAS UNCHARTED.

WE HAVE TO HELP THEM.

Some games (1st party):

Supposedly these are 'early' so they will look better. LittleBigPlanet looks insane on this. The architecture they are using makes it easy for them to add things in the future. I am surprised its not as custom as previous Sony consoles but its good for mobile phone companies.

I don't understand where this is placed...

- It's surely too big to be carried around in small pockets... and it has things like the analogue sticks. Thus you would use your smaller DS or iPhone.

- I thought the motion was towards ONE device that you could carry around with you that does everything. Well surely the iPhone still wins out here.

- If it's that bit too big for easy portability and requires a case, well then if you're going to do that why not make it bigger and fully go after the iPad market.

There can be no denying the games will look great... but then wouldn't you want these big budget games on you TV, with the surround sound and better immersive experience... no sat on a vibrating bus.

I'd rather buy a PS3 tbh!... which I think I will soon.

Basically.

And the iPad has a far greater range of services, and a the screen size you'd need to apply them all on!

Basically

This will give Nintendo a big headache.

The problem with the 3DS is that outside of the 3D which isnt even very good thanks to its low resolution and last last gen graphics it lacks any other unique features and uses. Nintendo got complacent there hoping 3D will make up for everything( it hsould initially for casuals and moms). Sony have gone all out with controls, to the OLED screen to online functionality. Its also now doing non entertainment stuff as well as being the best media portable on the market.

YES!!!! I miss these comments, been so long since the Nintendo DS and PSP were first shown I just remember those times... 'Nintendo durr hurp they have only touch screen PSP has what everyone wants! Nintendo's going to lose'

I love these times on the internet :D

From who's point of view?

Well, they gave everybody exactly what they expected of the console;

-Wii level graphics

-Analogue stick

-Friend Code System overhaul

-Functial 3D gimmick

-Great 3rd party support

can you really think of anything else you really wanted from it??

Battery life is going to be an even bigger issue on the NGP than the 3DS, and that's neither companies fault. R&D is going to take atleast another 5 years before we get High Capacity batteries on a commercial scale

Anyway I'm sticking with the 3DS because I believe that it'll actually be better as a games console.

I'm in the same boat. Take a dual analog, slap a screen in the middle and make it powerful enough to play PS3 type games and add 3G? Meh. I can just play those games on my PS3 instead.

It's an impressive piece of hardware though and all the people who are adamant, that everything gets better if you stick a second analog stick onto it, should be in handheld heaven with this. Provided the price doesn't make them choke and the games keep coming.

My friend was calling me a fanboy for having the audacity to say that there's a place for both the 3DS and the NGP. :indeed:

Whose fanboy are you supposed to be then? o.O

Edited by Burny

I can just play those games on my PS3 instead.

Yeah, I'll likely treat myself to a PS3 when it gets in my console price range (£200).

Well, they gave everybody exactly what they expected of the console;

-Wii level graphics

-Analogue stick

-Friend Code System overhaul

-Functial 3D gimmick

-Great 3rd party support

can you really think of anything else you really wanted from it??

Battery life is going to be an even bigger issue on the NGP than the 3DS, and that's neither companies fault. R&D is going to take atleast another 5 years before we get High Capacity batteries on a commercial scale

The 3DS is rather boring though and while friends codes may be an improvement, its back to square one compared to the NGP.

Battery life is very good on the NGP. Better minimum by an hour to two than the 3DS for games.

I can just play those games on my PS3 instead.

I can play 3DS games on either my Wii, PSP, GC and PS2 instead but better ;)

So the PSP2 is pretty much superior to the 3DS is every way...

3D is just a gimmick, when you think about it... not really gonna do anything to improve the gameplay, is it?

I preffer the DS, just because of all the Nintendo goodness, but it seems the PSP2, unlike the first one, is actually quite a good system. Kudos to Sony, I guess. =)

PlayStation®Suite (PS Suite), announced today, will also closely coordinate with NGP. The newly developed and released game content for AndroidTM based portable devices can also be enjoyed on NGP. As a result, users will have access to not only the most leading-edge content, but also some of the more casual experiences that typify the mobile market place.

So this is a mistake right? Seems like they may have got it mixed up in the PR? It seems pretty clear its Android on NGP?

So the PSP2 is pretty much superior to the 3DS is every way...

3D is just a gimmick, when you think about it... not really gonna do anything to improve the gameplay, is it?

I preffer the DS, just because of all the Nintendo goodness, but it seems the PSP2, unlike the first one, is actually quite a good system. Kudos to Sony, I guess. =)

Just like the PSP was superior to the DS.

Look how that ended

Battery life is very good on the NGP. Better minimum by an hour to two than the 3DS for games.

The 3DS battery life is the worst case scenario with everything on. Turn off features like 3D and the constant WiFi and it gets significantly larger very quickly

I can play 3DS games on either my Wii, PSP, GC and PS2 instead but better ;)

Didn't know that Kid Icarus or a new Pilot Wings are available on either of those systems. What have I missed? ;)

Third party games will usually make the decision easier. So far the PSP2 is in my eyes the superior handheld - the only drawbacks might be the lack of 3D (for some people an advantage), the price and the game library. I guess developers will not spend big parts of their budget on the PSP2 until they know it will return enough. If they 3DS gains a lot of share it will be very hard for Sony to compete - with a slow start in march of the 3DS and a reaonable price of the PSP2 the christmas business will be very exciting.