NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Didn't know that Kid Icarus or a new Pilot Wings are available on either of those systems. What have I missed? ;)

duh!? And didn't you know that the GC, Wii, PSP and PS2 had 3D as well.

All hail mighty Sony, for your system is truly blessed, I will now find another job and sell my house to be able to buy the greatest system ever created by God.

I don't understand where this is placed...

- It's surely too big to be carried around in small pockets... and it has things like the analogue sticks. Thus you would use your smaller DS or iPhone.

- I thought the motion was towards ONE device that you could carry around with you that does everything. Well surely the iPhone still wins out here.

- If it's that bit too big for easy portability and requires a case, well then if you're going to do that why not make it bigger and fully go after the iPad market.

There can be no denying the games will look great... but then wouldn't you want these big budget games on you TV, with the surround sound and better immersive experience... no sat on a vibrating bus.

- I carry everything in my bag. I use my pockets for my phone and that's it. I even find the DS too big to carry in my actual pocket. My pockets are tiny (or at least tight and no I don't wear skinny jeans :hehe: ).

- Convergent devices are good and all but they are the jack of all trades and the king of few (obviously the iPhone does best in quite a few areas but the games, as much as I love them...are not stunning by any reach of the imagination. And no buttons).

- It's got a 5" screen. I think it's the perfect size device. I get the iPad, I use my sister's one when I'm round at hers, but I'd love one this size. Like I said, I even looked at the Dell Streak. I love that machine but this definitely more what I want. Just because something doesn't fit in your pocket doesn't mean it isn't portable, if it did, the original Gameboy would be far far from portable.

Also, I don't play games on the go. I play them when I'm at home or when I'm somewhere else. Never in transit...because I cycle. :heh: But there aren't going to be just massive big budget games on this.

It's a high end gaming device and actually, there's nothing else on the market like it.

Edited by Daft

The 3DS is rather boring though and while friends codes may be an improvement, its back to square one compared to the NGP.

Battery life is very good on the NGP. Better minimum by an hour to two than the 3DS for games.

I completely agree about the 3DS, it is unnappealing to me too. My post was just making the point of Nintendo giving consumers exactly what they wanted out of it, and thus it's not like Nintendo fucked up. It's still a fantastic system, but NGP is essentially perfect from a technical perspective.

And the battery... I've heard they originally expected 6-8 hours, but are now expecting 4-5, so depending on what source for both, they about average out.

Im super happy with the form factor. This could be my first handheld since the GBA.

I havent read up on the fine details yet but i wonder if the sticks have L3, R3 clicking and can i use it as a PS3 controller??

Multiple versions of the NGP will launch from late 2011, each with Wi-Fi capability. Only one, however, will also feature 3G.

"The first thing to clarify, which I'm not sure the presentation did a perfect job of doing today, is that all of the devices will have Wi-Fi capability; a separate SKU will have 3G," House said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-sony-outlines-ngp-asynchronous-gaming

Not having 3G will help cut the price a bit. Good move. Not sure if I'll get the 3G. I'm always near a wifi spot of some kind.

I know that PSP2 is a lot more powerful than the 3DS, but it's not as if the 3DS graphics are that bad you can't play (like most 3rd party Wii games).

The thing I find about graphics is that the prettier the new standard is the harder I find it to go back to weaker ones. One of the reasons I abandoned my Wii so quickly. I can't help it, gaming is a visual medium.

...kind of worried about my PS3 now I've got that new PC on the way...

I havent read up on the fine details yet but i wonder if the sticks have L3, R3 clicking and can i use it as a PS3 controller??

Wouldn't it be missing L2/R2? You might simulate them with the tickle pad on the bag, but I imagine registering when they are supposed to be pressed and when not might be tricky.

The thing I find about graphics is that the prettier the new standard is the harder I find it to go back to weaker ones. One of the reasons I abandoned my Wii so quickly. I can't help it, gaming is a visual medium.

It's called a graphics whore and it's perfectly fine as long as they're not trying to tell everyone else in the Nintendo forums that they shouldn't be able to enjoy Nintendo games due to the generally underpowered hardware. ;)

Edited by Burny

hmmm so kojima has MGS 4 running on this? interesting but unless it has some awesome new gameplay around the two touch screens do I really want to have that kinda of game on my NGP as opposed to on PS3?

Yeah it is true...unless your playing a very stylised game on the Wii it can lead for a very visually unappealing game...I guess the 3D element of the 3DS will alliveate this problem but it does mean going forward all handhelds will have to have this kind of tech in them

hmmm so kojima has MGS 4 running on this? interesting but unless it has some awesome new gameplay around the two touch screens do I really want to have that kinda of game on my NGP as opposed to on PS3?

Yeah it is true...unless your playing a very stylised game on the Wii it can lead for a very visually unappealing game...I guess the 3D element of the 3DS will alliveate this problem but it does mean going forward all handhelds will have to have this kind of tech in them

Yeah he does but at 20 frames per second

Yeah he does but at 20 frames per second

Yeah but the assets weren't adapted and none of it was optimised. From the sound of it they literally just compiled the code on the NGP in a very short time.

In that respect 20fps is pretty impressive.

The problem I see with the PSP2 (or NGP or whatever they'll call it at launch) is that it is essentially the same thing that afflicts the non Nintendo side of gaming at the moment (and even afflicts the Nintendo side, but not as such). It's just the same Malibu Stacey as before, just with a shiny new quadcore hat. It's just more powerful and almost all of the additions are ridiculously superficial.

So this is a mistake right? Seems like they may have got it mixed up in the PR? It seems pretty clear its Android on NGP?

It seems pretty clear that it only runs games developed for the PlayStation Suite. It depends on how open Sony are with the software.

I suppose it is still entirely possible that they may use the Dalvik virtual machine (like the rumours regarding Blackberry and the possibility that the PlayBook may run Android Apps).

Yes, I've Played With Sony's New Gaming Portable, The NGP

ash1.jpg

Today in Tokyo, Sony unveiled it's newest PlayStation Portable, codenamed Next Generation Portable, or NGP. And I've played with it.

During Sony's event, the NGP's beautiful OLED screen was stunning. It looks even more stunning up close. The touch elements on the front screen were more than serviceable, offering a new experience for PlayStation Portable gamers.

At first glace, the NGP seems large. It is, measuring out larger than the PSP-3000. But while it isn't the smallest handheld on the block, it is surprisingly light.

"That's because it doesn't have a UMD drive," Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida tells Kotaku. In the place of the Universal Media Disc, Sony is using flash memory-based cards and digital downloads.

Unlike the smaller PSPgo, the NGP fits comfortably in the hands. On the back, there is a touch pad, which is glossy and slick to the touch. Initial worries are that it'll get guncky with dirt and grime. Using it, however, felt quite natural as my finger movement responded directly to the onscreen action. There are Sony's iconic button icons as a monogram. Next to them are grips for one's hands.

The entire handheld is sealed like an iPhone, so players will not be able to change the battery. The reason for this, Yoshida says, is because of the rear touch pad. It's apparently not possible to have a rear touch pad and changeable battery like on the current PSP-3000.

On the top of the console, there is metallic trim on which there is a power button as well as volume controls.

The rear and front cameras are unobtrusive.

The buttons and the directional pad are akin to what players are familiar with on the current PSPs. Also, the handheld has a layer of gloss similar to the previous PSP models. Throughout my hands-on, two Sony staffers stood by with white gloves, ready to wipe down any fingerprints.

The dual thumbsticks were a revelation — fast, responsive and easy to use. For those who always felt that the PSP's thumb "nub" never got it right, you'll be more than pleasantly surprised. The NGP, for as large as it seems, left me pleasantly surprised. It's light, and it is beautiful.

http://kotaku.com/5744675/yes-ive-played-with-sonys-new-gaming-portable-the-ngp

Also, got to remember, unlike the DS and 3DS, the touch screen doesn't need a stylus.

This is very interesting for me since I'm interested in owning both.

There's a major difference now though, I thought the pricing of the previous two at their launches were reasonable. Both were "Oh wow, that technology in a handheld and their price is very well put".

This time though, I'm looking at the 3DS and still lacking the motivation to pre-order because of it's price point as I feel they're over charging me. The PSP2, even though no price is announced, you can tell it's expensive. It's offering you cutting edge technology, and although the price is likely to be £350+, I will still buy one.

I find this quite surprising as I've always found myself and my friends regard me as a DS whore.

All I'm really hoping for is that the analog sticks are a hell of a lot more comfortable than the original PSP's. Please Sony, put the analog sticks on the top half of the front. That's usually the natural thumb placement on handhelds.

So, post-announcement we've discovered that everyone who was optimistic before is still optimistic, whilst everyone who was down on the idea is still down on the idea. Great.

Personally I've no interest in stereoscopic 3D so on paper this is a better machine for me than the 3DS. Obviously the latter still has Nintendo so I'll likely pick one up at some point, but it strikes me that a lot of people are being unnecessarily hard on NGP simply because it isn't coming from Nintendo: complaints are being levelled at it which are just as applicable to the 3DS.

I do have one problem with it, of course: I can't read NGP without thinking NeoGeo Pocket.

Well, the name will be a complete lie the moment the console is released, so they'll need to change it.

Anyone who wants and example of the rear touchpad's use,

ash3_01.jpg

On the rear of the portable, there is a touchpad that is the same size as the screen. In the game demo I played of upcoming NGP title Little Deviants, players use the rear touchpad to manipulate cute balls around a lush cartoon landscape. But by pressing on the rear touchpad, it appears as though players' fingers stick up underneath the terrain, altering the landscape.

So by moving one's fingers around, the landscape changes as new mountains are formed. But, if players stop touching the rear touchpad, the landscape returns to normal. It's a lot like putting your hand under a table cloth and moving it around a table. The game's mechanic was compelling enough to help sway Sony into including the rear touchpad. The game does feel a bit like a tech demo for the rear touchpad, but not in a bad way. It also offers the interesting feature of being able to "pinch" the cute ball characters on the front touch screen, causing them to slingslot.

According to Sony's Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida, the hope is that developers will also use the rear touchpad as extra buttons or even shortcuts for commands. It opens up an entirely new way to game.

http://kotaku.com/5744718/hands-on-with-the-ngps-brand+new-uncharted-and-a-deviant-surprise

Sounds great.

All hinges on battery life for me. As a portable gaming device 3 or 4 hours of play is perfectly fine, but for browsing the web and using simple apps I'd expect a lot more. That's why I'm happy with the iPad. It lasts freaking ages! Sure, the games aren't that flashy (somewhere between a DS and a PSP at best) but they keep me entertained and I know the battery will last. If Sony want me to buy a PSP2 then they need it to have excellent battery life. It needs to replace the iPad (or the smartphone, but I can't see that), not complement it, because I won't carry a third device with me. I'm already suitably entertained, there's no way I want another device just for some flashy graphics (same goes for the 3DS).

Odd, because neither does the DS. I've used my finger countless times.

DS doesnt have a capacitive touch screen. It needs pressure is what he means. NGP uses an iPhone like touch. So it will be faster and more responsive.

Ah, my bad. I haven't touched my DS since 2008.

Edit: What Choze said. (I'm shocked, too)

What he means is that you CAN'T use a stylus on this touch screen.

(that rear touch pad makes me laugh more and more with each new piece of information about it)