Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

Yeah about the mini-KERS, I guess it will be revealed tomorrow if they KERS off the line and no where else! Pretty clever concept... though somewhat risky, relying on your cars outright pace and the fact it is a little lighter... not sure it would always be enough to keep KERS cars behind them.

You're right about Kobayashi. Think he'll need a couple more seasons to prove himself to big teams though... and that he's not just gonna bin it at some stage! :p

Maybe these cold conditions aren't suiting the Ferrari, though having said that, I don't think any of the winter tests were warm at all. Especially the last week where it rained on the last couple of days.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance you could go for one of the first few options and get family back home to send their TV signal (using Slingbox), or turn their computer on and you use LogMeIn or something?

Thanks for those, I think I'm going to read up on Slingbox and maybe try and get that set up for the next race.

Really looking forward to the race, with all the extra stuff they've thrown in I think we could see big differences in race and qualifying performance. I just pray they can sort it out and show it live here.

YES! I just randomly found the F1 2010 disc that I thought I lost back in England. Weekend just got whole lot better.

Wow, ominous performance for Vettel, just incredible. The car looks so planted and balanced it almost seems as if he could just take his hands off the wheel and let it run itself. It'll be the double for him this year surely? Amazing turnaround from McLaren, though the nature of the track might be flattering them. No excuses from Ferrari though, where were they?

Also Kobayashi looks fantastic in that Saubre, hanging it out on every turn, truly special to watch. Surely someone in the top flight of teams has a tab on his name somewhere. Vettel & Kobayashi? Hamilton & Kobayashi? No matter which way you slice it it just sounds... right.

Fascinating article about the possible existence of a "mini-KERS" on the Red Bull here. Whether or not you think it exists probably depends on if you believe Adrian Newey is an evil mastermind. I know what my guess is.

There was a lap of Kobayashi's where he literally slid round every corner for the second half of the lap...incredible to watch. I'm going to Silverstone this year and he is undoubtably the one driver I want to meet; fantastic guy.

Jealous. We just had a 30 second replay of the 2001 gp' date=' the commentators have no clue and we're backnon adverts. It's painful.[/quote']

lolol.

It's just occurred to me that Vettel and Lewis are now going to be doing 22 laps on those used hard tyres....Last few laps could be manic.

Oh god they don't understand pit stops' date=' it's so hard to try and follow this. Next race I'd happily pay one of you guys to phone me up and just play BBC coverage down the phone to me.[/quote']

HAHAHAHAHA! Brilliant quote.

What do you mean they don't understand?

They just can't follow the strategy, dont know what's going on with being faster on out and in laps and generally just tell you a load of bollocks. Alonso's last stop they announced that webber was comfortably through, then webber came past and they wondered who this extra red bull was. I'll record some clips for you all next race. I don't deserve to be the only one to suffer this.

Bed time,

Jesus Vettel seems untouchable, what an unbelievable performance. He could dominate this season.

This season is Vettel's to lose, to compound the dominance the Red Bull didn't even have KERS this weekend, in contrast Webber never looked likely to get even a podium which must be so frustrating for him. However Hamilton and Petrov did a brilliant job to get on the podium. Special mention to Sauber, Perez in a brilliant 7th and Kobayashi behind him in 8th, Sauber looking good for a great mid table finish. Barrichello bottled it today, the fact he made it up to 8th after going off at the third corner on the first lap before foolishly taking Rosberg out with a move that was never going to work and he could have passed later on in the lap. I see great potential in the Williams but whether that gets realized remains to be seen.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Really enjoyed the race.

Vettel was faultless.

Great drive from Hamilton, especially given the broken car, I'll look forward to what might well be a Vettel/Hamilton (/Alonso, Button) battle this year! I think Hamilton's bad start made Vettels initial lead look greater than it was, and then of course he had the broken floor to deal with. Though no doubt Vettel could have pushed more if he'd wanted to.

Button did well to fight his way back through.

Great drives from the Sauber pair, and was happy for Petrov... he was so happy!

DRS seemed pretty pointless at this race, and KERS pretty much equals itself out across the field. The tyres however seemed great! :D

Great start to the season! Roll on Round 2!!

EDIT:

Sauber duo disqualified from Australia

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90294

That sucks!

Edited by Retro_Link

Okay so I didn't get to post over the weekend so my thoughts on Qualifying and the race.

Qualifying - Wow... fair play Kobayashi, he pushed that Sauber to the max, a really impressive performance. Heidfield defiantly not filling in for Kubicia as well as Renault had hoped, Not yet anyway.

Vettel, he looked untouchable in qualifying, but a great performance from Hamilton to get on top row with him.

The Race - Originally I was very impressed with the fact that Sauber had both racers in the points, then a little later on I was told they'd been DQ'd for some something that wasn't right with their rear wings. Can someone explain this in more detail?

with the 2 Sauber boys being DQ'd that resulted in great news for Force India, who are looking to start consistently being within the points. Di Resta had a confident first race.

Petrov - brilliant drive, well deserved podium place, he seemed to carry the confidence from last season through to this one, Maybe he'll be the one filling in for Kubica this season.

Vettel and Hamilton didn't have much to do, they were both flawless, Again I didn't watch anything after the race, but know Hamilton was ordered to take it easy as his car was damaged - can anyone also explain what damage was taken?

Schumacher... unfortunate, really unfortunate.

Button's frustration at being behind Massa for so many laps at the start, I wasn't aware that the McClaren had that much more pace then the Ferrari, or was it that Massa was just having a bad drive?

Webber looked a little lost at times, especially when he was pursuing Alonso, granted he had to go for it, but he was so scruffy entering and leaving some of the turns while doing this.

Alonso, keep him off the podium as long as possible please :)

All in all, great to have F1 Back.... in the delicious High Definition *drool*

I feel bad for the 2 guys that were DQ'ed. First race wasn't it for them, to get into points was a massive achievement. Had a look at that link posted about what the infringement was. Meant nothing to me :p

I'm nowhere near enough of a F1 expert to know all the specific rules. I just enjoy all the cars going vroooooooooooooooom, and Alonso not winning.

^ It's Perez's first season, Kobayashi has already done a full season & a couple of races, but still new yeah.

---

Really shouldn't the FIA really have picked up on Saubers rear wing before now? The cars go through checks and tests!

Hope the modifications they have to make don't make much of a difference to the cars performance.

but know Hamilton was ordered to take it easy as his car was damaged - can anyone also explain what damage was taken?

The support holding the undertray on to the bottom of the car broke, and meant it was dragging across the ground.

I don't see Lewis as a Corvette-style muscle car but I do like the little detail with the teeth.
Yeah it does seem a bit of a strange choice, I guess they have to focus mainly on the US market with this film? Edited by Retro_Link

Sorry I meant to say him not "them". I know about Kobayashi, big fan of his because of the acheivements he has had with the cars he's been given.

What happened to Schumacher? I didn't see beginning so never saw anything of him in the Australian race?

He got a puncture on the opening lap when Alguersuari bumped into him I think. Apparently the tyre damaged quite a bit of the car... and I think there was another problem aswell, so they decided to retire the car for safety. Edited by Retro_Link

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!