N-Europe

Sony sues hackers

heroicjanitor

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article isn't just about people hacking the consoles though.. please don't skim read.

The article is suggesting that if a person reads or views a article/video online (on how to do it.) The service has to give them the viewer/reader's ip to sony. (Even if they had no intent on actully hacking) Someone even suggested on here that this thread could be a danger to that and the admins would have to give them our details. That is how silly the lawsuite is.

Fuck it, if people hack consoles they get what they deserve full stop.

I hate it when companies pussy foot around this topic for not wanting to upset a small number of users that are greatly over exaggerated by media blogs.

If a person decides to jailbreak/hack their console and something goes wrong, then I agree.

But when people talk about creating software that purposely bricks your console, then I don't agree with that.

The article isn't just about people hacking the consoles though.. please don't skim read.

The article is suggesting that if a person reads or views a article/video online (on how to do it.) The service has to give them the viewer/reader's ip to sony. (Even if they had no intent on actully hacking) Someone even suggested on here that this thread could be a danger to that and the admins would have to give them our details. That is how silly the lawsuite is.

Its standard procedure to get as much data as possible for cases. It might be an IP address to you but for sony they get to picture who exactly are viewing the videos and build a larger picture. The case is not against people who 'view' youtube hack vids. Alot of people are reaching silly conclusions.

Are you accusing me of being a pirate?

You said:

If my PS3 got bricked and found out Sony was responsible, I'd just buy an xbox.

After Daft mentioned that Sony should release fake hacks so that people who tried to pirate would get their PS3s bricked.

US law is based on precedents, so a lot of people have a right to be concerned.

uk is influanced by US law when it concerns stuff like this as well, so people over here should actully be worried about this issue. I find it interesting that some people's attude on the subject is somewhat laxed, we'll see what happens when google starts giving out our IP's...

I personally do not want 3rd party's knowing my ip address, I use a program to mask mine. No one needs to know my real information so why make it law that 3rd party company's are allowed to gain access to that information just because I typed in psp3 hack in google?

Note i'm not actully for the hacking software, if your caught using it then sony has a right to ban you. However they shouldn't treat us this way just because some twats decide to not play fair.

I wasn't skim reading.

I have read the article.

My reply wasn't a direct issue to the article but mainly how I feel about hackers, whether or not for disingenuous reasons.

As for the part about what Sony's doing, yeah, not cool.

But I think people who moan about their reputation among gamers is going to be tarnished need to realise that most of Sony's fanbase probably won't even know any of this happened.

I still meet a crazy amount of people who didn't have a clue about any of that Activision/Infinity Ward deal.

Anyway, if you wanted to try hack your console and use a piece of software that bricks your console then I have no sympathy what-so-ever.

I know that rubs most internet people the wrong way.

It's not personal or through any kind of hate I have for anyone, it's just my opinion based on how I view this kind of behaviour.

uk is influanced by US law when it concerns stuff like this as well, so people over here should actully be worried about this issue.

Is it?

There are often issues that both the US and UK settle on, but... I dunno, I wouldn't say we were directly influenced by the US.

Often people try to amend the law and point to other countries' handling of the issue as a example... but as I direct influence I wouldn't agree with that.

I'm no law-maker-man, so feel free to post up an example of a judge ruling that cites a US law.

Edited by Wesley

Sony Loses Bid To Pull Twitter, YouTube User Info In PS3 Case

A Federal court in California has denied Sony's motion to pull the personal information of Twitter and YouTube users who might have downloaded code that allows PlayStations to run with alternative operating systems.

The company had filed a motion for discovery, asking for the personal information of users of Twitter and YouTube who might have a connection with George Hotz, who had published a piece of code on his Web site that allowed a PlayStation 3 to run other operating systems as well as pirated games. Sony was, in essence, asking for the contact information of people who had commented on the video Hotz posted showing how he used the code, as well as people he may have corresponded with via Twitter.

The judge in the case, Susan Illston, denied the motion. Hotz is still under a restraining order that forbids him from offering any methods or software that allow people to modify their Sony PlayStations. Nor is he allowed to provide links to sites that offer such methods or software. He is also ordered to turn over his computers to Sony.

It wasn't clear that Sony Computer Entertainment America, which filed a lawsuit against Hotz in January, would get its restraining order, as the company had to show that the court had jurisdiction over Hotz. But Sony was able to satisfy the judge that Hotz had harmed the company's business by promoting his jailbreaking software and encouraging others to use it.

Sony's original lawsuit says Hotz, Hector Martin Cantero, Sven Peter, and John Does one through 100 violated copyright, the computer fraud and abuse act and California law. Sony's complaint also says Hotz, Cantero and Peter acted to circumvent the copy protections built into the device and "trafficked in circumvention devices and components thereof." The trafficking refers to Hotz publishing the code on his blog.

Hotz's lawyer, Stewart Kellar, had filed an objection stating that Sony has no jurisdiction in the case, as Hotz lives in New Jersey and the complaint was filed in California. He also argued that the restraining order is too broad, as taking away Hotz's computers (as well as his PS3) would affect his ability to make a living as well as compromise data that might be private.

A video of the jailbreak was released by Hotz, who goes by the user ID geohot, on YouTube. On his blog he had a link to the software, which can be loaded on to any PS3. The front page of the site currently only has text, with no links.

Hotz has argued that the software he wrote only restores functions to the PS3 that were there before, as earlier versions of the firmware allow it to run other operating systems. Current versions do not allow this.

Sony is facing its own set of problems. A Sony employee accidentally re-tweeted the code key to the PlayStation 3, which would allow any user to get around the very copy protections Sony is currently arguing about in court.

haha i knew they wouldn't pass that kind of law to sony lol..

however I do think forcing him to hand his pc over is a joke, instead they should have someone there forcing him to delete any related codes etc, and let him overview them checking the contents of the pc.

Civil offenses should never warrant the seizure of personal property. It should be Sony's responsibility to prove that he broke any law/violated their copy write, if they can't do that without his computer being seized, there really shouldn't be enough evidence to have his computer seized in the first place.

This is opinion by the way, I don't know the details of how it actually works in the US.

Civil offenses should never warrant the seizure of personal property. It should be Sony's responsibility to prove that he broke any law/violated their copy write, if they can't do that without his computer being seized, there really shouldn't be enough evidence to have his computer seized in the first place.

This is opinion by the way, I don't know the details of how it actually works in the US.

He posted the keys on twitter, I'd say that was evidence enough really.

No, I didn't say that, I just wasn't specific. To be clear I meant Piracy. So basically flood the internet with game files that brick the system.

I actually agree with this. Console games this generation are massively expensive and so many good studios are going down the shitter because of loss in sales.

Although it may spark a legal issue with the bricking of the console, they damn well deserve it.

We're all talking about the "PS3 Keys" which are not needed for homebrew - just the piracy.

No. The keys were needed so homebrew could be put on the PS3 without the need of a custom firmware. This allowed people to have their homebrewed applications, emulators and such whilst they could still use the services for the games they had bought such as PSN multiplayer and the store.

It's unfortunate that pirates have abused the efforts of the hacking community, but locking those with illegal firmwares out of the store (the multiplayer is fair enough with the possible exploits), has always seemed so stupid to me.

Wouldnt it be great if they could settle this dispute with a rap battle? Oh wait...

God damn some one needs to give this dude a slap.. I almost regret supporting his side if it wasn't for the other groups involved.