NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Conkers Bad Fur Day 64

Just ordered myself a N64 and this gem from ebay. Played hours and hours and hours in my yoof. Anyone played it recently? Will it still be as good as I remember?

The multiplayer, if I recall, was utterly pr0. One mode you ran up a beach defenceless trying to avoid the other team's gunners, D Day style. Awesome.

The original Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64 was legendary for its time and actually featured a superior multiplayer to the one featured in the Xbox remake Conker : Live and Reloaded in fact I was pretty disgusted to find what they'd done to the multiplayer tbh, it just didn't have the charm of the original and wasn't nearly as playable.

When it came to the Single Player however the game shone through pretty much brighter than ever as everything looked nicer with redone graphics although I do recall them having to 'bleep' out nearly all of the swearing which was present in the N64 original, which made it less funny.

I would actually love it if they were to bring the original game to Xbox Live with the sole enhancements being slightly upscaled visuals and of course the original multiplayer over Xbox Live, reinstating the Fire Imp would be a step forward too but if Rare were really that 'scared' of putting all of the orgiinal 'naughty' passwords back in the game - for example 'beefcurtains' which unlocks the Zombie Squirrel in multiplayer lol - then they could just have a menu instead for turning on cheats.

But yeah, the original CBFD on XBLA would no doubt prove to be a huge hit so I really hope that it does happen somewhere down the line.

Edited by S.C.G

I remember playing a bit of the mutliplayer with Eddage, who had the game at one stage.

The beach was awesome fun from what I remember!... Teddy's wasn't it?

That would be great to see, the original updated like BK and Tooie were on XBLA. The multi-player on the Live and Reloaded version is no-where near as good as it was on the N64, so you have picked up a gem there my friend.

CBFD is one of them games that is under-rated on so many levels.

The 64 version is also a lot harder! I played through this sometime in late 2008/early 2009 (it was during final year of uni) and I still loved it. A brilliant game that has aged surprisingly well!

I remember playing a bit of the mutliplayer with Eddage' date=' who had the game at one stage.

The beach was awesome fun from what I remember!... Teddy's wasn't it?[/quote']

Yess, that mode was utterly brilliant. Can't wait for it to arrive now!

It was an impressive game for its time, with excellent cutscenes and rude spoofs that weren't really seen anywhere else. Unfortunately, the gameplay itself is repetitive (collection tasks, dying & going back to previous cutscenes) and frustrating (eg. getting hurt when you jump then land on ground 2cm lower). The framerate was also pretty awful.

Some parts are still fun to play today (flying around as the bat, the Great MightyPoo boss battle, the wipeout style racing sections), and the Rock Solid club is actually a lot better on N64 than the Xbox remake, with the lightshow being properly synced to the music and Conker dancing during idle animations.

So it may be slow and frustrating by today's standards, but it's probably still worth playing through in the same way you'd watch a classic old movie again 15 years later.

Wow, it just arrived... really hasn't aged brilliantly. As people have said the frame rate can suck.. plus the graphics could be better. Oh well.

Need to try out the multiplayer still. I played a bit solo, the satisfaction of chainsawing someone / bazookaing on (the excellent) beach mode remains an unrivaled joy.

Wow, it just arrived... really hasn't aged brilliantly. As people have said the frame rate can suck.. plus the graphics could be better. Oh well.

Need to try out the multiplayer still. I played a bit solo, the satisfaction of chainsawing someone / bazookaing on (the excellent) beach mode remains an unrivaled joy.

Ah Beach mode, it's just fantastic. Especially when you are playing as the squirrels and you hit the plunger to kill the Tediz, only to notice that one of them is desperately trying to snipe you!

I played the single player last year and thought it had actually aged very well. Graphically it's years ahead of something like Mario 64 and despite the gameplay being a bit samey here and there, some of the chapters are incredibly diverse and just a joy to play. I'm not gonna ruin things for you but the last 3 full chapters on the game are just spectacular (Spooky, War and whatever the last one is called). The prehistoric chapter is pretty cool too, and Rock Solid was just epic.

Hell, I played that music at my 18th Birthday party; had tonnes of people raving to it and they didn't even know it was from a 64-bit videogaming system.

I have never played this game, I see that it raises a fair price on ebay and that in general is a good barometer of a games quality. After this thread though it seems people are paying for the memories!

I hate those guys. :D

This thread needs this.

Also Greg was freakin hilarious.

hahaha some of those clips were hilarious! I'm gonna get out my n64 I need to play it! I love at the beginning with the gargoyle where he goes "ha a frying pan" so funny.

I've been playing through Conker's Bad Fur Day again on N64 in recent weeks :smile: Considering it's been a decade or so since I last played it properly, I was actually quite surprised by just how much fun it still is and how impressive some of the graphics, sound and gameplay was for the time :hehe:

I finished my playthrough this afternoon and did so in just over half the time of my original file. There were certainly moments of frustration, particularly during the war sections, but as one of Rare's final outings on a Nintendo console it highlights just how great they could be when they were on form.. and also how glad I am that I chose this over Banjo Tooie back at the time :indeed:

I've been playing through Conker's Bad Fur Day again on N64 in recent weeks :smile: Considering it's been a decade or so since I last played it properly, I was actually quite surprised by just how much fun it still is and how impressive some of the graphics, sound and gameplay was for the time :hehe:

I finished my playthrough this afternoon and did so in just over half the time of my original file. There were certainly moments of frustration, particularly during the war sections, but as one of Rare's final outings on a Nintendo console it highlights just how great they could be when they were on form.. and also how glad I am that I chose this over Banjo Tooie back at the time :indeed:

Once a great game, always a great game :)

It's really one of a kind, a game that really defies a genre description (it was also the game that invented the over-the-shoulder 3rd person shooter view too! Take THAT RE4!)

Makes you pine for the good ol' days of Rareware :( (and no, the Xbox version is nowhere near as good as the original!)

Did you at least pick BT up at some point? It's still a good game overall even if this is the tighter, more focused affair.

Once a great game, always a great game :)

It's really one of a kind, a game that really defies a genre description (it was also the game that invented the over-the-shoulder 3rd person shooter view too! Take THAT RE4!)

The original version doesn't feature the over shoulder camera - it was only like that in the remake which came out after RE4 did.

Did you at least pick BT up at some point? It's still a good game overall even if this is the tighter, more focused affair.

The original version doesn't feature the over shoulder camera - it was only like that in the remake which came out after RE4 did.

Yes it does. In the Spooky chapter, when you get the shotgun (it even has the laser sight that RE4 made famous!)

(Skip to around 3:30)

You can even move while shooting to boot! (Something that wasn't added to RE until RE:Mercenaries 3D ;) )

Oh and BT>>BK (Yeah, I went there :p)

Yes it does. In the Spooky chapter, when you get the shotgun (it even has the laser sight that RE4 made famous!)

(Skip to around 3:30)

You can even move while shooting to boot! (Something that wasn't added to RE until RE:Mercenaries 3D ;) )

Oh and BT>>BK (Yeah, I went there :P)

So it does - completely forgot about that bit :blush: I was thinking of the multiplayer and the teddies war bits that it derrived from where it features a much more bog standard 3D platformer camera perspective... which did get shifted over for the remake.

BT over BK? Wow!! Someone's feeling bold :p

I can see why someone might think that way but I'd be lying if I said I shared their view.

Oh and BT>>BK (Yeah, I went there :p)

That's an insult.. just as Banjo Tooie is an insult to Banjo Kazooie :heh:

I did pick up Banjo Tooie 4 or 5 years ago now but I just can't get into it and have found it to be pretty boring, if I'm honest. I keep attempting to go back and progress but everything is just too big and too spread out :hmm:

Conker's Bad Fur Day is definitely awesome, though :hehe: