N-Europe

Alone on Christmas

Ashley

Fret not, I'm not alone on Christmas.

But there's always this social stigma attached to it as if its the most depressing thing in the world but I'm sure some people prefer it.

Before my mother started dating her partner he was alone at Christmas (parents died, didn't speak to the rest of his family, girlfriend left him) and there does seem to be something kind of sad thinking about that, possibly because he is like a big kid at Christmas.

Anyway, thoughts? Do you people have thoughts? Or are you currently rocking a Christmas eve buzz?

Most people spent their childhood christmases with their family and friends. If, during christmas, you can't be with anybody, not even in spirit, then it is sad, because you remember the reasons you're spending it alone in the first place.

I hope I don't ever have to spend a christmas alone. I don't want to ever find myself in that position.

I spent christmas alone last year. Was great fun! Cooked myself a proper roast, set my ironing board up for company, laid back on my lay-z-boy and watched whatever I wanted.

But I wasn't properly alone. People called me, and I knew that my family and friends were out there somewhere enjoying themselves.

It was one of my more memorable christmasses. I quite enjoyed it.

Xmas is a day spent with my family, eating a load of awesome food followed by everyone food napping on the sofa.

Xmas without the family is just another day.

I'm also getting used to the fact that as I get older I don't care at all about presents. So it's not like that is a defining characteristic of the day for me.

I usually love being on my own, you lot know already for example my quarms and upsets with living with people the last couple of years. I prefer my own company to others.

As it is, my family in the last few years have been something I really miss, I never used to, but I suppose for me Christmas is something I always enjoy because I get to see my mum, dad and sister one time of the year.

I'm a bit worried about next year because of my sister moving away and me moving out of this house properly. But we'll see.

I think it's just one of those things I've always been attached too, I couldn't imagine me not being here for Christmas day.

I've always been with family at Christmas and can see this continuing for the next good while. All my siblings come home from Christmas from wherever they are in the country so it's one of the few times each year that we're all together.

I would hate to be alone at Christmas; the part of Christmas I love most is being with everyone!

I don't think being alone on Christmas is the problem, it's what you associate with being alone on Christmas that may be a problem.

Yeah I think it's more the reasons why you're alone that are sad, not the fact that you're alone.

As Daft said if you're alone then it's not really christmas, just another day. And there's nothing sad about being alone on a day.

I agree.

There is a difference with being alone and being lonely.

My Christmas is very family-orientated and I've always spent it with them. We do the same traditions every year so I can't imagine myself ever spending a Christmas alone as my family would hunt me down :p

Yeah I think it's more the reasons why you're alone that are sad, not the fact that you're alone.

As Daft said if you're alone then it's not really christmas, just another day. And there's nothing sad about being alone on a day.

I mean, if you're alone because you have no friends or family to celebrate Christmas with, or if you just think you have no one to celebrate Christmas with, being alone on Christmas could be potentially devastating. But if you know you have lovely family and friends and just happen to celebrate Christmas by yourself, I think it can be just as enjoyable as with company.

It's almost all in your head, really.