NEurope
Dog-amoto

Top Gear

The trio were spotted together in London over the last few days and are rumoured to be plotting a new car show.

Also a key producer has also left Top Gear. Sounds positive apart from apparently there is a clause saying they can't have another related motoring show for 12 months. 12 months isn't that long, it's been a few weeks already and by the time they get their plans made properly, find someone who wants to show it and come to an agreement and then film it etc it will easily be 12 months.

Also you have to wonder if the BBC counted streaming service in that "gardening leave" if not hellooooooooooooooooooooo Netflix.

Do you know if the 12 months refers to the release, or any production?

If it's the former then, as you say, it will barely be an issue. If the latter then maybe more of a delay.

No idea, that had crossed my mind too.

The sacked presenter, James May, Richard Hammond and former executive producer Andy Wilman are negotiating with the online service to create a new version of the motoring series.

And one pal revealed today: “If it goes ahead, they’re planning to call it House of Cars, which is just genius.”

And a tug of war for Clarkson, 55, and his team has broken out between the streaming service and ITV, which also held talks with them last week.

But a source said: “The headache with ITV is going to be the potential conflicts of interest with advertisers.

“What would they do if Jaguar or Volvo had a sponsorship deal but they wanted to berate its latest new car?

"Jeremy doesn’t like being told what to do. It could cause huge arguments.”

the-rock-clapping.gif

If they ended up on Netflix it would be enough for me to finally subscribe to the service.

'House of Cars' is a great name on an initial thought but would the novelty of the pun not wear off?

Anyway, glad to see that Netflix is winning the bidding war so far...

They would never go with the pun. They would risk ruining house of card's perception by having it associated with a controversial show like top gear/clarkson.

hmmm

Whilst i like Chris and know he has the car knowledge and charisma, manufacturing a new team won't work

Don't Chris Evans got other shows as well? TFI Friday, The One Show and his radio shows? :|

If they'd gone to ITV or Sky, they would have had to tone it down due to advertisers and sponsorships.

You know they'll have to do this on Netflix and Amazon, too, right?

Shame it will be on one that has a dreadful web player and awful apps.

Edited by Cube

You know they'll have to do this on Netflix and Amazon, too, right?

Shame it will be on one that has a dreadful web player and awful apps.

Not to the same extent though. I can't imagine Amazon would make them tone things down, they know the appeal the 3 presenters bring.

I'm so glad its Amazon rather than ITV or Sky. No in-show adverts!

Pretty sure they had a non-compete in their contracts which stated they couldn't work for a UK broadcaster for ~2 years or something, so a US streaming service was their loophole...

Looking forward to seeing what they can come up with. Obviously they will have to abandon some stuff (no Stig for example...wonder if they'll still do the weekly guest though?) so the format should be shaken up at least a bit.

BBC just announced that Matt LeBlanc (Joey from Friends) is one of the new Top Gear's new presenters. Other presenters will be announced soon.

Look like it's gonna be a bunch of famous petrol-heads.

Edited by DriftKaiser

I did not see that coming.

Whenever Matt LeBlanc has been in interviews etc in the last ten years I've always thought he seemed really stoic and dull....

I did not see that coming.

Whenever Matt LeBlanc has been in interviews etc in the last ten years I've always thought he seemed really stoic and dull....

Chalk me up as never expecting that either

He has been dull in interviews but i wonder if thats because he wasn't interested, I've seen him on Graham Norton (with a drink or two inside him) and he seemed more losened up, maybe if he's paid to do the job he might be interesting?

Who knows with this, i seem to recall he's a petrol head (although american cars), plus he is an international name so could retain viewers, cynically he'll appeal to women more than Hamster ever did

Still think NuTopGear is all over the place with the reports coming out

I have to admit, I'm a teensy bit more intrigued by this now I've heard he's in it.

I might tune in just to see...

...how he's doing.

More people have been named, now up to 7 presenters. Whom are as follows.

Rory Reid, Sabine Schmitz, Matt LeBlanc, Chris Evans, Chris Harris, Eddie Jordan and The Stig

Source