N-Europe

The Pirate Mafia

The Peeps

I think I should get a half point or something just for surviving. I mean come on, the ongoing attacks of three people were consistently staved off by epic arguing lol.

My only criticism about the game is that from what I can see it was pretty easy for the neutral mafia to win. They lost what, one hit point in the entire game, and that was when Aqui1a was lynched. The fact that none of them appeared evil was a huge advantage. And for them all to win... well, that's something I disagree with, simply because the town caught and lynched Aqui1a which in my opinion shouldn't give him a win, but I understand that some people agree with it. Just person opinion I guess. But from my point of view when I survive the game after such a campaign to get me lynched and get nothing but a player who is lynched wins, it's a little frustrating. I would say that the neutral mafia played very well in avoiding attention, and by not killing people they managed to stay unnoticed as a group which was clever.

ANYWAY, I still think the game was a real success. I was pretty angry at you Peeps after night 3 lol. We didn't know there was a write-up changer and I assumed that there were actually two wooden-legged pirates. I was close to sending you a PM asking you why two players were described in such a similar way lol. It was a really great game mechanic which threw me off COMPLETELY. I also thought the write-ups were great etc, the way you told the story was good while giving enough information and all that jazz.

So yeah, just a small complaint about the win, but that's just me being a sore loser :p Overall (like I said in my PM last night) I really enjoyed the game. I'm kinda sad that it ended so soon after we started to work stuff out.

And Jonnas - I'm very sorry I didn't go for Rez, I was concentrating more on getting attention away from me. That said, when I did (yesterday) I was willing to go for him. I really wished we'd gone for him not cube now but never mind!

Wow, never saw that coming. There was a lot of strange accusations flying about the place and some voting patterns that were a bit out of place... still I thought the town had it won.

Surely if they are a mafia, then by definition they are evil, but only appear as neutral. Only my opinion, but appearing as neutral gave them a big advantage over the normal mafia. Perhaps if the town had known sooner if there were 2 mafias then it might not have been so easy for them. Still, well played to the neutral mafia.

I also thought the town had it in the bag after we got rid of Cube. I actually assumed it was mr-paul left that we had to lynch and was going to be extremely happy to vote for him the next day :p

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked my role too. And no, didn't see that second team coming..

For the rest of you:

The Peeps changes my role a bit. I wanted to target myself, what was it, night 3? And initially he didn't allow it (my second choice would have been heroicjanitor), but in the end, he decided to have me lock myself up. He hinted that I've been targeted by several people. After that, anyone who got locked up didn't receive the vote penalty.

Funny our mafia's end on the same day ;).

This was the night where you were targeted by Cube, Jayseven, HeroicJanitor, Jonnas and Zell.

Jonnas was always going to steal your key and take away the vote penalty. Cube's power was to turn people's own powers against them - which put you in your own locker. Without the key you had to fight your way out and from then on there were no threats left lurking in there.

---

With regards to the neutral mafia, I definitely think they got off easy. I limited their kills to only occur after 2 nights (so they had to pick a target one night and the next night that person would be killed). The victim would receive a black spot in their PM which no one mentioned but I think they only made 3 kills in total.

I wanted 2 mafias because I didn't think anyone would expect it and I suppose I was too effective in trying to make sure no one expected it lol. Also it was partly left over from when I first started writing the roles and everyone was in teams of 2-4 but it wouldn't have worked out so I scrapped that idea. If they had all been investigated it may have been a different story, they wouldn't be able to use the same win condition without causing suspicion... maybe if they had been able to kill in the regular way it would've alerted the town to them... but then we would've lost a lot more players and I don't think it would've been enjoyable for the town.

I gave you an honourable mention Nintendohnut ;) I do agree about Aqui1a btw but it was written so it must be done.

Dannyboy died way too early too :( he very nearly caused the mafia to kill one of their own on the first night. He was a misdirector/redirector whatever you'd call it. I think bus driver is the 'official' role. Where anyone targeting A targets B instead.

His targets for night 1 were Nintendohnut and Cube. MadDog was originally going to kill Nintendohnut but changed at the last minute to Diageo.

I'm annoyed that Dannyboy and Diageo died so early on as they had strong roles for the town. Tellyn could've helped out a lot too.

I'm glad Tales's ability caused so much confusion. I don't think we've seen a write-up switcher in a while and I was hoping people wouldn't catch on that it was only player's names in the write-up that were being switched and not their actions.

I can't believe people kept going for Nintendohnut! I know the ones who did were primarily the neutral mafia, but I don't understand why other people didn't argue against them. I so wanted to help you, Dohnut! :p

Also, a mafia is a mafia. You could say they all appear as neutral, but they're still evil. Anyway, I didn't think that worked so well. It was too difficult for the town. And Jonnas's win condition was mean. :heh:

These things aside, this has been an epic game! :D I'm so pissed I died to early. I was actually limited to three posts on day 1 and was not allowed to reveal that during the entirety of the game, so when Cube went for me, I was scared as heck! And then I'm offed by a friggin' lynchbomb. :heh: Two mafias I'm killed off in so early - that's seriously annoying! :p

But yeah, loved it. :D

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane
Forum screwing up at nighttime, grrr ...

I wasn't even given a chance to speak that day as mr-paul fooled you all.

The two mafias confused us, too - right before Aqui1a was lynched I was 100% certain that there was two mafias. When he wasn't mafia...three killers seemed excessive so I completely dismissed the idea.

Yay win number 2 today!

We actually genuinely believed that you were evil, Nintendohnut, even if we were making you suspicious, we were using that to try and get you lynched! But then it became clear that Cube was doing nasty things without us making him suspicious in the write up until the last night (we were trying to kill him before that but kept getting blocked!)

We also suspected Jonnas because his votes were generally going along with Cube and Nintendohnut and I thought a thief couldn't be good!

Did not suspect Tales at all though.

Thanks Peeps for letting me back in the game :)

The thing was the entire game I knew something was off, I just couldn't put my finger on it. I was so ready to go after Jayseven the entire time, right up until he got Tales lynched then I thought he was good. An entire mafia who doesn't turn up as evil made my power no use, especially since I only successfully investigated two people. What was with Nintendohnut bluffing his way through in that write-up btw? Did you enjoy seeing him squirm? :p BUT if I had been able to post on the last day I think we could have figured something out. I would have asked who jailkept me in such a weird way, and hopefully it could've snowballed from there. I think our best chance of identifying a mafia who turn up neutral would have been The Fish's tracking ability, too bad he was inactive.

I knew there were several roleswitchers in that first write-up since Danny killed someone. Since he had no kill power I knew that was just the write-up switching part, and I was trying to figure out who was the actual switcher. Never would have thought it was Danny himself :heh:

Was Danny the sobbing pirate then?

TWith regards to the neutral mafia, I definitely think they got off easy. I limited their kills to only occur after 2 nights (so they had to pick a target one night and the next night that person would be killed). The victim would receive a black spot in their PM which no one mentioned but I think they only made 3 kills in total.

I wanted 2 mafias because I didn't think anyone would expect it and I suppose I was too effective in trying to make sure no one expected it lol. Also it was partly left over from when I first started writing the roles and everyone was in teams of 2-4 but it wouldn't have worked out so I scrapped that idea. If they had all been investigated it may have been a different story, they wouldn't be able to use the same win condition without causing suspicion... maybe if they had been able to kill in the regular way it would've alerted the town to them... but then we would've lost a lot more players and I don't think it would've been enjoyable for the town.

I gave you an honourable mention Nintendohnut ;) I do agree about Aqui1a btw but it was written so it must be done.

I totally missed that I got an honourable mention! Thanks :D I really like the honourable mention thing.

I think the 'everyone in teams' idea would have been really interesting, but yeah I can see how it may not be practical. I think the two mafias idea was good, but yeah maybe you were a little too good at disguising the fact they existed :p Still, it was a nice idea, and now with hindsight I'm not sure what else you could have done to balance out the mafia's, apart from perhaps make the neutral mafia make vague suggestions they were in a team when they interacted in write-ups...? Don't know, that may have been too unbalanced the other way. Still, great game overall, like I said I was convinced the town had it won so you did well at throwing twists in that nobody saw coming :)

I can't believe people kept going for Nintendohnut! I know the ones who did were primarily the neutral mafia, but I don't understand why other people didn't argue against them. I so wanted to help you, Dohnut! :p

Also, a mafia is a mafia. You could say they all appear as neutral, but they're still evil. Anyway, I didn't think that worked so well. It was too difficult for the town. And Jonnas's win condition was mean. :heh:

These things aside, this has been an epic game! :D I'm so pissed I died to early. I was actually limited to three posts on day 1 and was not allowed to reveal that during the entirety of the game, so when Cube went for me, I was scared as heck! And then I'm offed by a friggin' lynchbomb. :heh: Two mafias I'm killed off in so early - that's seriously annoying! :p

But yeah, loved it. :D

Lol Ican understand from a townie POV why people were going for me, but from my point of view it was just incredibly frustrating. We'd discuss something one day as someone brought up something suspicious about me and I would explain it so that people were okay with it... then the next day it would be brought up again and I'd have to do it again! Still, it made the game interesting for me - I constantly had to think about what I had done and what I was going to do.

Jesus Nintendohnut, it's just a scoreboard.

Oh do grow up.

Yay win number 2 today!

We actually genuinely believed that you were evil, Nintendohnut, even if we were making you suspicious, we were using that to try and get you lynched! But then it became clear that Cube was doing nasty things without us making him suspicious in the write up until the last night (we were trying to kill him before that but kept getting blocked!)

We also suspected Jonnas because his votes were generally going along with Cube and Nintendohnut and I thought a thief couldn't be good!

Did not suspect Tales at all though.

Thanks Peeps for letting me back in the game :)

I do completely understand, I was sitting here cursing the fact that I was being made to look guilty in every write-up. The one where I bluffed my way through I still can't totally understand. But yeah, I could see how guilty I looked and was just trying desperately and repeatedly to explain in a rational way why I wasn't the killer. Obviously in a mafia game you're mega suspicious of everyone, so rational argument isn't as effective. But yeah, no grudges will be held as if the situation was reversed I would have done exactly the same thing! :D

I wasn't even given a chance to speak that day as mr-paul fooled you all.

Yeah sorry about that, made sure you didn't. :p (You were evil though)

I was sure I'd be next for the chopping box, but think I deserved not too really, as I only appeared as blinding/attacking people like twice and I like to think my made up role was reasonably creative/it might be believable (?).

During the game I thought we were fucked - as (I'm not sure if it was clear in the roles) but we could only kill every other night - night A we roleblock, and then night B that roleblock becomes kill.....and if you get roleblocked on night A it restarts the cycle. I got roleblocked twice in a row towards the end which meant several nights with no kill.

This was the same the normal mafia right? Because they didn't seem to make a kill every night? I thought the fact that there were two mafias made this a great and clever game mechanic to balance it out.

Anyway, I didn't realise how close we were to winning, and now its over I feel that maybe we did have it a little easy, but certainly not saying we didn't play well. The mafia forum was very active and Jay and mr-paul always had lots to input and I feel we were pretty well orchestrated so I wanna thank you two too. :) Having just properly read through the roles it actually looks really well balanced....once again inactivity played a big part in hampering (a factions) efforts, The Fish being the only tracker would've been god damn helpful with a reasonably low amount of investigative roles. And two protectors and a jailkeep helps to even out the double mafia too (and if the target of a kill is protected, it really WOULD have fucked up either mafia, delaying them an extra 2 days before their next kill) another well thought out mechanic!

Overall I think the game was really great, especially for someones first mafia. Definitely picked up steam after Christmas, and there were some really imaginitive roles and great flavour text! *Applauds*

Well played all. :)

And yeah we totally thought Jonnas was evil. He was following soooo closely to Cube.

Yeah sorry about that, made sure you didn't. (You were evil though)

But I was pretty much telling the truth. I even decided to use my normal power instead of killing.

It certainly didn't help my mafia that I wasn't particually active for a large portion of the game.

Oh, and we could kill every night.

Oh. Why didn't you/.....were you unlucky with roleblocks/protects?

Our killing (and switching) targerts:

Night 1:

MadDog kills Diageo

MadDog and Dannyboy-the-Dane are swapped.

(All this seemed successful)

Night 2:

Dazz kills mr-paul

Cube and Ellmeister are switched.

(Also seemed to work fine)

Night 3:

Dazz kills Ellmeister

Dazz and Nintenohnut are switched

(Worked fine)

Night 4:

Cube kills Jonnas

Cube and Nintendohnut are switched

(The killing didn't work, so I guessed that I was re-directed and I killed Rummy. This was probably your kill, though)

Night 5:

Cube kills Nintendohnut

Cube and ReZ are switched

(I was roleblocked, but the switch managed to put more suspicion on ReZ)

Night 6:

Tales Kill Sméagol

(We did this because we were sure I would be roleblocked again. The whole plan went totally wrong, though)

Night 7:

I decided not to kill.

The win came out of the blue! I was sure there was another left. Suspected heroijan and nintendohnut right up to the end.

Nintendohnut - We only realised there was another mafia on the 2nd night! Even up to the last night we weren't sure if there was a mafia or just a bunch of vigs. I personally changed my mind about you as many times as is said in teh whole thread -- I really couldn't decide whether to believe you or not for ages - but I knew that the whole time I argued with you was time well spent for our mafia.

At one point ReZ needed to strengthen his own false role and decided to out me - after night 4 I think. If people were reading the thread closely they would've seen the loophole -- night 4 nobody targetted me so I could learn some info about my target - but if ReZ targetted me then... hmm! :P

I think mafias generally tend to keep a closer eye on the write-ups. This time round was trickier as I genuinely couldn't tell who I was in the write-up (I wasn't in most of them!) -- I really thought I was the epic pirate and I was worried after the 3rd night (I think) where the epic pirate was cutlassed-up... Cube does well when he's mafia, but he tends to ask less questions. I think we did well in targetting the mafia -- and especially when rez and mr-paul were the only guys who targetted the last dead townie, I thought they were screwed!

So yeah - game was good fun. I really enjoyed scouring the write-ups for clues. In the end it does seem like we had it easy, but I think it's only fair to say that it would've been more balanced if all the town were actually playing. We lost aqui1a early on and the "perhaps the good-character ones are actually mafia..." theory really started to worry me - from early on it proved true, so it was just a case of buying some respect. I, again, lucked into my lynching of Dazz. I truly forgot/missed his rolecall, and I think that won me some favour getting him lynched. it also helped us determine who else must've been mafia. Tales and Zell were very quiet throughout, and heroijan did well not to tell us his character... but yeah, having the traditionally 'bad' characters as the town was a good idea - an extra hidden clue that could've worked well if people put their backs into it!

Good game all-in-all. A bit unbalanced due to inactivity, but that always seemss the way!

I knew there were several roleswitchers in that first write-up since Danny killed someone. Since he had no kill power I knew that was just the write-up switching part, and I was trying to figure out who was the actual switcher. Never would have thought it was Danny himself :heh:

Was Danny the sobbing pirate then?

Wait, I don't appear as killing anyone in the first write-up, do I? Not if I'm the sobbing pirate, at least. But if I was indeed the one-legged man ... We need this clarified! :heh: Who was the infamous one-legged pirate? And if I'm the sobbing pirate, why am I described like that?

Wait, I don't appear as killing anyone in the first write-up, do I? Not if I'm the sobbing pirate, at least. But if I was indeed the one-legged man ... We need this clarified! :heh: Who was the infamous one-legged pirate? And if I'm the sobbing pirate, why am I described like that?

Night 1:

MadDog kills Diageo

MadDog and Dannyboy-the-Dane are swapped.

(All this seemed successful)

MadDog was the sobbing pirate. Your and MadDog's descriptions were switched.

Lol I was convinced that I after I got you lynched Tales I would be killed - I decided to protect myself for the last two nights in the hope I would stave off the final attacks. I'm also pretty chuffed that the people who weren't in the evil mafia worked out that there was a write-up switcher, it took a while but we got there in the end.

Peeps, why was I always the one who looked suspicious? And why did I apparently bluff my way through the interrogation? Were you just trying to make things more difficult for me? :p

Lol I was convinced that I after I got you lynched Tales I would be killed - I decided to protect myself for the last two nights in the hope I would stave off the final attacks. I'm also pretty chuffed that the people who weren't in the evil mafia worked out that there was a write-up switcher, it took a while but we got there in the end.

Peeps, why was I always the one who looked suspicious? And why did I apparently bluff my way through the interrogation? Were you just trying to make things more difficult for me? :p

We targeted you to appear suspicious most nights.

Sorry. :p

But hey, it worked so well even we thought you were evil! Lol.