NEurope
Dante

SSX (2012)

Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them. From the peaks of the Himalayas, where the air is so thin that riders have to descend through the death zone at breakneck speeds to keep from blacking out, to the solid ice ranges of Antarctica, where a sunlit line is the only survival option when temperatures drop 50 degrees centigrade in the shade. And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face. In SSX: Deadly Descents the first goal is to survive. The second, in true SSX fashion, is to look good doing it.
Edited by Dante

Lack of understanding what makes SSX fun FTL.

Meh. Trailer looks pretty cool, but I was hoping for something moving back closer to Tricky, not further away from it.l

I love SSX. The original was fantastic, and On Tour was pretty decent.

This looks like it could be good, but I really hope they don't make it too dark.

The light-heartedness of the previous entries made it so playable. Also, no crowd = zero point in doing teh trix.

However, if you can actually do that flying thing in-game, it could be sick. Say there's a massive gap and you have to glide over it whilst dodging shit for a few seconds. Hmmm.

It could be great, but I almost feel like they could've just separated it from the SSX brand and called it "Deadly Descents".

SSX3 is one of my favourite games ever, I wanted more like that.

SSX 1 negro, SSX 1! There was one track where a short-cut took you across half the stage, just on oddly shaped floating ramp things. INSANE.

I am tempted to buy it in fact.

Hasn't this been done before - only without the unnecessary melodrama - in 1080* Avalanche?

SSX 3 was pretty decent when I got it but I never felt like it had any of the magic of 1080 Snowboarding :hmm:

I don't really have any interest in SSX at all any more, particularly having played SSX 3 and SSX Tricky a few weeks ago with a friend and feeling extremely underwhelmed, but I would guess that the trailer is probably not what fans of the series expect..

I'm sorry but 1080 Snowboarding is actually horrendous comparatively, if anything it was that game that lacked charm.

SSX is still highly playable and enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, 1080 was fantastic back in the day but... Pfft.

I'm sorry but 1080 Snowboarding is actually horrendous comparatively, if anything it was that game that lacked charm.

SSX is still highly playable and enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, 1080 was fantastic back in the day but... Pfft.

yeah its true it was all very clinical and lacked charm.

As for this...its not what I'd be looking for in an SSX game really but its been that long since I played a decent snowboarding game I will still on the look as to how it turns out.

The early SSX games were decent but I'd still rather play 1080* Avalanche than any of the recent entries.

This new SSX game could be good but it just seems overly dramatic fro the sake of it, whereas the series originally didn't take itself seriously and became a better game for it.

It's too early to judge on the game. SSX Tricky was a very decent game but SSX3 is probably one of my all-time favourite games too. I also own SSX Blur but that was almost too cartoony and unresponsive controls, was let down by that game. I think I noticed in this trailer that the front of the helicopter said "Elise" in that typical SSX graffiti style so I still have hope this is the next-gen SSX we were hoping for!

Meh, It looks allright,

I'm not going to lie, i'll probably end up getting this. But I don't want it all gritty and mature looking. That's not what SSX should be about.

Info - CVG =

No sooner than EA's promised upcoming "big surprises" for SSX fans, the first Deadly Descents details have arrived on the internet.

The latest issue of EGM mag spills the beans on the controversial series revival, which is said to feature topographically correct real-life mountains.

In the mag, EA likens Deadly Descents to modern day combat games, asking: "At what point would it feel like if we created levels and mountains and descents that were so harrowing you could actually die?" (We can hear fans of the originals groaning...)

According to the internet, the game's set to feature 17 regions spread across the globe, with each mountain traversable in 360.

Apparently EA's aiming for 70 open mountains, with each generated automatically by the game, including some from topographic data like Google Earth. Regions confirmed so far include Siberia, Kilimanjaro, Siberia, Caucasus and The Alps.

Each mountain is tailored to a different kind of danger, apparently, with thin air, ice, and low temperatures making the gear you purchase and equip very important.

A Forza-style rewind feature is promised, along with the return of Elise and at least some actual racetracks (with "natural shortcuts").

This certainly sounds like a departure for the series - we bet it won't have Run DMC on the soundtrack either. What say you, CVG readers?

eTDb1.jpg

eTDb1.jpg

ID9Hl.jpg

oZPHZ.jpg

nJRD9.jpg

m5gz4.jpg

INlFH.jpg

vQ4KP.jpg

s4YIS.jpg

LNIEr.jpg

qPnaK.jpg

vsCmw.jpg

vsCmw.jpg

Z7yGc.jpg

The latest issue of EGM mag spills the beans on the controversial series revival, which is said to feature topographically correct real-life mountains.

Well the best thing about the original was the awesome, over the top and unrealistic courses with amazing arcade controls....so it makes sense to do the complete fucking opposite.......

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Looks like Shorty was right, 'Modern Warfare 2 with snowboards'.

If ain't broke don't fix it. Y'all.

They could have put at least one in-game screenshot across those 14 pages...

I don't get it at all. SSX Tricky is one of my favourite games of all time. As the series has moved further and further away from that they have decreased in quality....and they don't make one for what....5 years, and they think the best thing to do is move even further away from "fun" and move to "grit"

Pull your fucking fingers out dip shits.

Looks more like Killzone Snowboarding.

It does sound absolutely awesome, though.

Edit: Scratch that, it sounds fucking amazing. If it's as good as that article makes it sound, day one. That is if there's nothing about the controls that jar me.

Edited by Daft

It actually sounds like it could make a decent snowboarding game- maybe in the same way Skate did skateboarding. I just resent them using the SSX brand because

a) It's not fucking SSX

b) by doing this, it means they'll never do another proper SSX, so am crai.

You played Amped 3? I hated the original Amped. Thought 3 was absolutely brilliant.

Everyone's quite hasty to shit on it, but if we take it as a new game in it's own right and think about what the experience could offer, I'd be inclined to say it could be really awesome.

Awesome or terrible.

But I can imagine hurtling down mountains at breakneck speed, IN HD, with snow flying past your face whilst shit is crumbling around you - potentially a good idea. It's not exactly the SSX everyone was expecting (who was actually highly anticipating an SSX game announcement for these systems really?) , but I'd rather they tried something a bit different. Why is everyone so keen to play the same bloody game?

There may still be a bit of dark humour lobbed in, and whatever happens, it's hardly going to be realistic gameplay wise! Unless you all thought jumping from a helicopter in front of an avalanche was normal, adaptive behaviour?

Everyone's quite hasty to shit on it, but if we take it as a new game in it's own right and think about what the experience could offer, I'd be inclined to say it could be really awesome.

Awesome or terrible.

But I can imagine hurtling down mountains at breakneck speed, IN HD, with snow flying past your face whilst shit is crumbling around you - potentially a good idea. It's not exactly the SSX everyone was expecting (who was actually highly anticipating an SSX game announcement for these systems really?) , but I'd rather they tried something a bit different. Why is everyone so keen to play the same bloody game?

There may still be a bit of dark humour lobbed in, and whatever happens, it's hardly going to be realistic gameplay wise! Unless you all thought jumping from a helicopter in front of an avalanche was normal, adaptive behaviour?

Shut up and stop making sense, I'm trying to moan here.