N-Europe

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Happenstance

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I can't play this til December now, hopefully by then the aiming will be fixed. Had a little go on level 1, was pretty good. Wasn't wowed by the graphics though like I was expecting. Started level 2 and loved the animation on the kid, but decided to stop due to the huge gap before playing again. Just want to blitz it straight through!

What was your (everyones) favourite bits?

I don't wish to spoil anything for anyone so I'll just say all of it because it is genuinely stunning from start to finish.

Did you watch all of the behind scenes featurettes? I found them all to be particularly inspiring and insightful. :)

I also think they need to fix the stealth. It's way too hard to be stealthy. Getting spotted by an enemy alerts the entire area. They should make it so that gunfire alerts the area, not simply getting spotted. So if you do get spotted by one (or two) guards but take them out quickly (silenced gun, melee) then you should still be able to proceed silently.

It actually does work like that sometimes, but I think in the bigger areas the game makes sure you'll be detected so as to not to circumvent the massive firefight they have planned. Problem is that rather takes the incentive out of stealth; it's like the player is simply delaying the inevitable.

The campaign comes across as a little rushed to me. Not that it isn't full of love and attention to detail, but the game's combat scenarios often feel like a bit of a hodgepodge of tougher enemies jumping into the arena from all around you. It's a strange one as the combat areas are generally well designed, the core mechanics (inexplicably laggy aiming aside) a joy, but often times the opposition seems tuned towards extending the experience rather than actually being fun to fight.

In many ways I think this is the best game in the series, but the above really conspires to undermine the advances elsewhere. Hopefully some of it can be patched — the flaws aren't fundamental — as the co-op shows how much fun the combat can be; for my money it's the best third-person shooter action there is.

Picked up my copy earlier today. Been 3 months almost since I last bought a game so felt it was time to treat myself.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the single player later, even though it sounds like the aiming is pretty poor. Think I'll have to tinker with that before I start. May try out some multiplayer as well (as long as it's Plunder :p). See how it goes.