N-Europe

Chess

jayseven

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny; 8 moves over 3 days is silly. You'll be holding up the whole tournament. You're supposed to play 3 games (or, I suppose, first to two wins). I've not played any with grunch yet but I'm sure when we play we'll get at least two games done in one session.

@ MCJ - in almost every situation you have to be a complete n00b to be owning and still suffer a stalemate.

Just keep the King in check whilst being able to check him next go, or making sure whatever you do leaves the guy some room.

Ok, it took some time to find Mundi, but we're ready to play, as soon as we're online at the same time.

I thought I could leave a game challenge pending... Turns out I can't. We'll see what we can do.

Well I just accepted your challenge and the game just started.

I just got daily mailed by JayJay Aborigine Squander-bus.

It was a kinda stale mate situation, and I said 'all I need to do is look out for the knight fork' and then maybe 2 moves later I blundered horrendously by giving JayJay a fork (and essentially a big spoon to lap it all up) and basically should've resigned immediatly.

It wasn't worth offering a draw as I still had one 10% success chance move but never got to it. Argh.

Edit: * A draw before the big forking.

Edited by dwarf

It was a very close game! Dwarf surprised me with the first check, but what won for me was that I had castled, and he had not. my pieces were developed before his, so I just had to be patient with the game. Several times Dwarf surprised me and made me really have to think - I'm going to get the move list and go over this game later this week and see where I can improve.

Definitely should play again!

Had I castled after the Queen take I think it would've been a stale but I saw an opportunity. It failed, kind of.

But yeah, good game!

At the start I was just wondering why you weren't piling into my pawns, I think that would've raped me, as yours had a lot more defenders, and you had the opportunities take first. In actual fact, I think pressing forwards with Knight and Queen gave you more developing moves (like the castle) as I had no choice but to retreat the Queen, which was quite wasteful.

Mutual respect we'll call it.

I didn't want to sacrifice my pawn structure for what would've been even material. It was my pawn structure and my fairly-safe king in the end that allowed me much more freedom with my playing pieces! You didn't really have to retreat immediately, you could've castled then let me initiate the exchange, which would've led to a different battle as at that point your bishop was the only one left and could've been quite crucial. As it was I think your bishop was neutered. But yeah, gonna play through it again and see how it could've been.

Yeah, the Queen exchange at the time was postponed for a while (and eventually never happened) but I think what I was worried about at the time was you trapping my knight, without him being able to do any damage. Definitely was thinking of the castle but for some reason squandered the thought of doing so.

Blah, it's all too confusing.

MCJ; I'm going to get some lessons from my dad and perhaps read a theory book or two before I dare challenge you again :P Have you ever studied the game or are you just naturally daunting?

My dad taught me the game but I don't play it all that often. The only thing I know for sure is the proper opening but that's about it.Been playing against other guys on the app and I'm about average really.