N-Europe

iOS Gaming Thread

flameboy

Sure we already have the app store thread in tech talk but I think we are now way past the stage where the iPod Touch/iPhone can now be classed as a viable gaming platform, it is end of and it deserves its own thread. Despite what some people may have said rather dismissively when I started I started this thread back in 2007:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18536

I asked:

Does the Itouch's abilities lend well to it being a competitor for DS?

to which we had replies like:

I can't see the iPhone/iPod Touch becoming a real gaming platform

With games so affordable on it as well I thought why not have a gaming club of sorts where we all latch on to a game and play through it.

So yeah watcha been playing whats new and what do you recommend?

Also might serve as a good thread for people's gamecenter ID's?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yeah. Ever since I left my 360 back at home for this academic year, all I've had is my iPhone to play games on, and recently I've been completely hooked on:

Osmos: A game of fantastic ideas, seemingly based around Spore's cell stage gameplay, where you control a small cell like organism that has the capacity to absorb other organisms smaller than it. Tapping the screen on one side of the screen propels your cell or "mote" in the opposite direction in what becomes game of inertial control as well as having to be aware of environmental factors. That's just the basic concept though, and they play around with it giving you various gameplay scenarios. Can't see it being done on anything other than the iPhone.

Super Quickhook: You have a grappling hook which is your main means of traversal, with which you navigate levels of increasing difficulty by swinging. A load of fun.

Super Mega Wyrm: Defies description.

There are a buttload more that I got, but these are eating my mornings on the shitter.

Hell yeah. Ever since I left my 360 back at home for this academic year, all I've had is my iPhone to play games on, and recently I've been completely hooked on:

Osmos: A game of fantastic ideas, seemingly based around Spore's cell stage gameplay, where you control a small cell like organism that has the capacity to absorb other organisms smaller than it. Tapping the screen on one side of the screen propels your cell or "mote" in the opposite direction in what becomes game of inertial control as well as having to be aware of environmental factors. That's just the basic concept though, and they play around with it giving you various gameplay scenarios. Can't see it being done on anything other than the iPhone.

Super Quickhook: You have a grappling hook which is your main means of traversal, with which you navigate levels of increasing difficulty by swinging. A load of fun.

There are a buttload more that I got, but these are eating my mornings on the shitter.

YES YES YES! I heard about this on the Weekend Confirmed podcast and they loved it. I've played the Lite version and fully intend to buy the full version.

Yeah there are a buttload of these cheap throwaway titles that end up being real timesuckers!

Angry Birds is obviously high in the list at the moment. I watched someone playing it and wasn't too interested, but I got the lite version and was hooked. The real game is huge, and great value for money.

Cut the rope is also surprisingly good, although short.

Minigore is fun, little isometric shooter game where you have to stave off zombies for as long as possible. Free at the moment too.

Wordfu and Charadium are not too bad, and if you like risk, Lux Touch is a great little game.

YES YES YES! I heard about this on the Weekend Confirmed podcast and they loved it. I've played the Lite version and fully intend to buy the full version.

Yeah there are a buttload of these cheap throwaway titles that end up being real timesuckers!

One of the most ingenious little games. It's so interesting to see how much can be done when game designers go back to basics with an interface as basic as a touch screen, and create these little byte size portions of perfect gameplay. Game design on a microscopic level.

Also, shout outs go to Mirrors Edge which really is a great version of the game, albeit far far too short, and I've yet to see what it looks like on my new iPhone 4, apparently its supposed to be gorgeous on the retina display. Action Buggy is also a great trajectory based on rails shooting game.

In terms of puzzles, I shudder to think about the amount of time I must have spent on Drop 7 and Geared thus far.

Ive never really played many games on my iphone but more so resontly.

A free game called 'Falldown' had me addicted for a bit, very simple yet ace!

I downloaded chess the other day on it, pitty there is no single player but i did connect to 2 random ppl online to play against, won 1 and lost 1. If there is any chess players who have it downloaded (i downloaded it through the game centre one) then let me know and i shall play you! I used to love chess but its been years since ive played it properly!!

To mimic flameboy: YES! YES! YES! Although I have the predecessor instead and my god is it hardcore. Only just started it but I can see it becoming so damn hard, yet retaining that '1 more go'.

Also playing Zenonia 2. Much better RPG than the first game in the mold zelda or secret of mana, and very addictive although it can be a little buggy.

Sudoku Magic. I like my sudoku, what can I say.

I also play my games on the shitter. Make things fly by...or out :p

Only played the lite version of cut the rope, does it really not get any harder?

I'm unsure whether to get angry birds used to have it on my nokia n900 and enjoyed not sure if there is much long term.

Seen vids on kotaku today of rage for iphone looks awesome!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

It gets a little bit harder and a fair bit more complicated, but it's still over all too quickly. New levels coming soon though apparently.

Yeah I saw there was apparently an update coming. I'm proper pissed my shiny new iPod won't be arriving until on week tomorrow now because they mucked up my order and I won't be in any time during the day in the next week so that means no iPod fun for me this weekend :(

couple of bargains doing the rounds:

Cheap chinatown wars:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Chinatown+Wars+(iPhone)/news.asp?c=24982

Gamevil drops a few prices:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Black+Friday+sales+2010/news.asp?c=25331

I picked up Zenonia for just 50p looks like it is well worth it. Finally and perhaps the best Namco reducing ton of games to 99c so what 59p from 25th november to 1 December

Priced down to 99c

Avatwee

BIT.TRIP BEAT

BIT.TRIP BEAT HD

Dug Dug Remix

Galaga Remix

Garters & Ghouls

Gator Panic

Inspector Gadget

Isaac Newton's Gravity

Lt. Fly Rise of the Arachnids

Mr. Driller

Ms. PAC-MAN

Noby Noby Boy

PAC-Attack

PAC-Chain

PAC-Chain Compact

PAC-MAN

PAC-MAN for iPad

PAC-MAN Championship Edition

PAC-Match Party

PAC-Match Party HD

PAC-MAN Remix

Pole Position: Remix

Pool Pro Online 3

Pool Pro Online 3 for iPad

Star Trigon

Tamagotchi: Round the World

Time Crisis Strike

Tinseltown Dreams: The 50s

Priced down to $2.99

Ace Combat Xi

i Love Katamari

Ridge Racer Accelerated

Priced down to $4.99

Time Crisis 2nd Strike

I will defintely pick up a version of pacman at that price. Any suggestion as to which is best?