NEurope
Retro_Link

The Wolverine

That bodes terribly.

No film that justifies being 18 can then be a 12A and remain the same film. And just shows a really annoying lack of conviction/decision/blah.

We all know it'll be a 12. Maybe a 15. Doubt there'll be much blood in the film regardless.

Supporting Roles and Villian cast...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/09/the-wolverine-casts-supporting-roles

The Wolverine Casts Supporting Roles

Fox's comic book movie to feature authentic Japanese actors.

The casting of supporting roles has reportedly begun for Fox's upcoming sequel The Wolverine, starring Hugh Jackman. More importantly, the studio has brought aboard real Japanese actors to assume the roles.

While Fox has not revealed any details on the parts, they did confirm four new actors will be joining the film, according to SuperHeroHype:

Hiroyuki Sanada (Lost, Rush Hour 3, The Last Samurai) will play Shingen; Hal Yamanouchi (The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Push, Sinbad of the Seven Seas) is set for Yashida; and newcomers Tao Okamoto and Rila Fukushima will play Mariko and Yukio, respectively. Although none of these actors have much of a following outside of Japan, it is comforting to see that the studio seems to be pushing for a level of authenticity within the cast.

UPDATE: Variety reports that Will Yun Lee (Hawaii Five-0, Elektra, Die Another Day and Witchblade) has been cast as the film's primary villain, Harada. The trade says the details of the role are being kept under wraps, but any good X-Men fan knows that Harada is the real name of the one and only Silver Samurai. The Hollywood Reporter confirms that Silver Samurai is indeed the villain, and add that Grimm's Brian Tee is "playing Noburo Mori, a corrupt minister of justice who is about to marry the daughter of a Yakuza crime lord (the daughter is Wolverine’s love interest)."

Meanwhile, the film's story remains tightly under wraps. However, what we know for sure is that the film is mostly inspired by Marvel's comic book arc by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller, wherein Logan, an outsider, finds himself in Japan.

The Wolverine is slated for a July 26, 2013 release, with James Mangold directing.

Does anyone still have any interest in Hugh Jackmans Wolverine?... I find it difficult to look past the mess of a) how the series winds up and the characters they killed off etc... and b) the joke that was Origins.

Really wish First Class had been a genuine refresh for the series, and with it a decent origins movie for Wolverine.

Although really Marvel Studios needs the character back.

Edited by Retro_Link

Reassures me slightly they're going for japanese actors, and it'll be interesting to see if they deliver on Paj's earlier point about actually have a large amount of japanese dialogue in the film. Personally, I'm totally blind to most of the shitness of the films, happy enough to actually just have some marvel superhero films, but I do rather like Jackman's protrayal of Wolverine. My only criticism is that it's not quite gritty enough, but that's probably more the hollywood side of things.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/13/is-jessica-biel-the-wolverines-villainess

Is Jessica Biel The Wolverine's Villainess?

Total Recall and Blade: Trinity babe Jessica Biel may join The Wolverine.

Twitch claims that the beauty has been offered the role of femme fatale Viper in the James Mangold-directed Marvel/Fox sequel.

Viper, aka Madame Hydra, has a complicated backstory, as Marvel's bio of her illustrates. She has ties to Logan and the Hand, as well as Silver Samurai.

The Wolverine, which begins production soon, is based on the Chris Claremont/Frank Miller miniseries of the 1980s that saw Logan travel to Japan, get mixed up with ninjas, and fall in love.

Trailer

Meh tbh (train bit aside), I'm not sure how the X-Men movies somehow manage to look a bit low budget.

Hurry up and join The Avengers.

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah it has the appearance of being better, but it's still the same film/same old stuff. I don't know, I think I'm willing to give this a miss, it just doesn't excite me.

Well I for one am thinking

WWWOOOOOOTTTT HYPEEEEEE!!

I'm so looking forward to this.

One thing confused me though... I thought this was taking place after Origins and before the first X-Men film.... what was with the glimpse of Jean Grey in there (like it were a memory?) is this actually taking place after Last Stand?

One thing confused me though... I thought this was taking place after Origins and before the first X-Men film.... what was with the glimpse of Jean Grey in there (like it were a memory?) is this actually taking place after Last Stand?

The continuity across the five X-Men films is already all over the place, so I don't think they're too bothered about that. Days of Future Past is definitely going to make things much, much worse (but will likely be an awesome film).

@Mokong X\-C This film is set after X-Men 3 The Last Stand I believe.

It's a prequel set before X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't it?

Making it X-Men Origins: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - The Wolverine.

It's a prequel set before X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't it?

Making it X-Men Origins: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - The Wolverine.

No definitely not because Wolverine has his Adamantium claws.

I read somewhere that it was set way after the x-film films... :/
Yeah that's what I heard. It's sometime after X3, which fits with the Jean Grey memories in the trailer.

Can someone fill me in on what i just saw? Was that a giant mecha-samurai?

Looks good though.

Its the Silver Samurai. Usually though the character is just a guy in a suit so I cant really explain why he looked so big or mecha-ish

2326917-silver_samurai_wolverine_origins_43.jpg

Seen ads for this a few times on TV already, getting strangely excited! Think it might be a film I actually go and see on release.

Yeah I also saw it on TV yesterday and had basically forgotten it existed until I did. When the Marvel logo appeared I couldn't even think what it was going to be advertising.

I don't think it looks all that great though....

I'm not sure how good it'll be, but I just have to go and see it. The trailer doesn't say much, and I haven't really followed it; but I'm hoping I might be pleasantly surprised.

I quite liked Wolverine:Origins, so if this is at least as good as that was, i will be happy. I'm a bit worried it will go down the 'Ninjas/samurai are all superhuman honorable badasses' trope, which is getting a bit annoying, but i enjoy anything with Hugh Jackman in it.