NEurope

That same shop also had a guy who pestered me to take up one of the offers while buying pokemon diamond, i swear he would not stop until i agreed to buy something extra for 2 quid or something, argh. Walked out with a stylus that i never use.

(Apologies if any of you work at that branch).

Slightly unrelated, but no douche in GAME can ever compare to even the most basic Games Workshop employee. Make a point to go in there before any other store, you'll be writing letters of praise about even the most pathetic of employee. Guarantee it.

Damn you Scoop! you beat me to it.

Wait wait wait....

These people are getting paid min wage.... and you actually expect them to care about their job?

Fair enough if you already have a passion for it (dyson i'm looking at you) but they aren't actually trained or really expected to know anything about these games.. You want a good service you need to

A/ pay staff better

B/ employ staff who are knowledgeable via application criterion/testing

C/ actually care about the industry

Looping back to this unless its changed they actually pay everyone at the wage for 21 year olds (probably a penny or two over so they can say its not minimum wage) so for 18-21 year olds they're on over minimum wage.

But still, in my experience there the people who apply who have lots of product knowledge are the worst. When someone says "I could work at Game, I know lots about games" I cringe. If you know lots about games go talk on a forum or write for a site or something. Those kind of people were usually applying because they thought a) they want discount b) that they could just spend all day chatting about games c) they'd get to play games all day.

Some of our best staff members had no idea about games but were good employees. At the end of the day the title is "customer assistant", not "games expert".

I don't go in HMV expecting everyone to know everything. Hell, I know HMV stock(ed?) fun.'s album but I doubt anyone there would have noticed it if I asked.

Looping back to this unless its changed they actually pay everyone at the wage for 21 year olds (probably a penny or two over so they can say its not minimum wage) so for 18-21 year olds they're on over minimum wage.

But still, in my experience there the people who apply who have lots of product knowledge are the worst. When someone says "I could work at Game, I know lots about games" I cringe. If you know lots about games go talk on a forum or write for a site or something. Those kind of people were usually applying because they thought a) they want discount b) that they could just spend all day chatting about games c) they'd get to play games all day.

Some of our best staff members had no idea about games but were good employees. At the end of the day the title is "customer assistant", not "games expert".

I don't go in HMV expecting everyone to know everything. Hell, I know HMV stock(ed?) fun.'s album but I doubt anyone there would have noticed it if I asked.

I've found the game here don't hire people who are actually really really knowledgable. They like decent knowledge but when it's people such as you and me, they don't hire

in mexico

the principal gaming store "Gameplanet" is very racist.

if you look indian(native american) or poor they treat you like shit.

One of my best friends works at GAME. She's hardcore though. She has a Triforce tattoo. However, she has told me that the higher ups do force them to always try and sell extras with games and that she dislikes that that happens. She always tries to get me to pre-order things when I visit her

That's just part of the job. You have to remember that GAME are there to make money and these extras make them huge profits. When looking at a company like this when we know their industry really well we need to take a step back and look at it from an outsiders perspective. We actively look into what games are coming out soon and the best place to pre-order it online. Not many people (AFAIK) actually pre-order games in-store any more. However a non tech savvy person might not realise you could do this. i.e. My mum might pre-order a game in time for Christmas so she definitely gets it.

In terms of strategy guides etc, they are the type of thing you wouldn't really think of buying unless someone actually offered it to you. You may not want a strategy guide for a game but someone else probably does so it's right for the staff to offer it to you.

I miss GAME's 10 day returns policy. I abused the hell out of that system. We used to call it The Game Rental Service, because that's basically all it was. I'd like to think I was solely responsible for them ending it.

Plus, buying a game was great.

"Cool. Thanks. See you in 10 days."

I loved that. So many times I bought games and either didn't like them or had completed them so I took them back for a full refund. Free rental service. :)

I've worked for minimum wage (£3.30 ph and then £4.75ph), now I'm moving on up to the big bucks. Everyone starts somewhere!

As for the game people, I find its a mix, some are knowledgable some aren't. I kind of expected it really, like Ashley said (agreeing with Ashley?! I feel sick):

Its customer assistants. So really they need to be able to serve the customer. Half the time, the customers won't be part of the gaming culture anyway so having a large knowledge would be irrelevant!

I've found the game here don't hire people who are actually really really knowledgable. They like decent knowledge but when it's people such as you and me, they don't hire

They hired me.

I have winning charm.

They hired me.

I have winning charm.

I guess having "Pokémon God" in my CV isn't a good thing then :P

I dunno, I hear its a quality Pokemon Centres look for when employing a new Nurse Joy.

Serebii doesn't have the legs to be Nurse Joy.

No, it makes you sound like a creepy otaku :p

The biggest issue is they seem to go from one extreme to the other. On one hand you have stores with absolutely no knowledge of anything, and on the other, stores that are just far far too hardcore gamerish (more a gamestation issue really I think). Best store I ever went in was the one I worked in, went downhill after I left though!

At the end of the day they're shops, no better or worse than any other really. I'd rather find out about stuff from real users rather than a shop boy.

The biggest issue is they seem to go from one extreme to the other. On one hand you have stores with absolutely no knowledge of anything' date=' and on the other, stores that are just far far too hardcore gamerish (more a gamestation issue really I think). Best store I ever went in was the one I worked in, went downhill after I left though!

At the end of the day they're shops, no better or worse than any other really. I'd rather find out about stuff from real users rather than a shop boy.[/quote']

You worked in one in Merry Hill didn't you?

The one near McDonalds (formed EB if I recall) had the cunt of a manager from the Bull Ring there for a while (maybe still do). I walked past at one point and saw him and thought "I recognise him..." and then it later dawned on me. He was a tosser.

I stopped using Game after I kept buying games on/near release day and then having them basically call me a twat for not pre-ordering. Fuck off you bastards, it was an impulse buy. Take my money and be grateful I didn't get it from Gamestation just down the road (which I now do incidentally).

I stopped using Game after I kept buying games on/near release day and then having them basically call me a twat for not pre-ordering. Fuck off you bastards, it was an impulse buy. Take my money and be grateful I didn't get it from Gamestation just down the road (which I now do incidentally).

I love you buddy, and this is gonna hurt to tell you... but they're the same company under different names nowadays.

I love you buddy, and this is gonna hurt to tell you... but they're the same company under different names nowadays.

Oh yeah, I know. But maybe the head honchos at GAMEStation megalopolis will look at sales between the two shops and say "Maybe Game isn't doing as well as Gamestation in Banbury because our Game employees are a bunch of twatends and the ones at GameStation are total rad dudes".*

Either that, or I just want good service, I don't care where it comes from. Whatevs.

*I'm fully aware that no one at GAMEStation's megafortress in the sky (or even the local shops themselves) will even notice that I've swapped shops.

Although it always did used to amuse me "I'm never shopping here again!"

Fine. We won't notice.

Theres also the fact that Banbury GAME hasnt had a fit lass in there since Frank.

Although thinking about it Gamestation have lost all of theirs now as well.

I least would expect them to have an inkling of where it might be in the shop, sometimes - not just in gaming stores, you'll ask for an item you know they stock for them to drag you round the whole store looking for it.

If you don't know where it is, tell me, I'm not going to go mental >.<

You worked in one in Merry Hill didn't you?

The one near McDonalds (formed EB if I recall) had the cunt of a manager from the Bull Ring there for a while (maybe still do). I walked past at one point and saw him and thought "I recognise him..." and then it later dawned on me. He was a tosser.

I did indeed, do you mean Alan Patterson? If so I absolutely agree with you. I bumped into Jenny Devaney in Merry Hill the other day, she was still loving being a manager in Game too.

It was good fun when EB first bought Game and people would threaten to never shop with us again, only to not look so smug when we told them Game was the same company and there was no-one else to buy from. I actually rather miss working there to be honest.

It's weird that the most mundane jobs often create the best memories.

I did indeed' date=' do you mean Alan Patterson? If so I absolutely agree with you. I bumped into Jenny Devaney in Merry Hill the other day, she was still loving being a manager in Game too.

It was good fun when EB first bought Game and people would threaten to never shop with us again, only to not look so smug when we told them Game was the same company and there was no-one else to buy from. I actually rather miss working there to be honest.[/quote']

Oh god Jenny Devaney. If I never see that woman again it'll be too soon. Had to endure a rather painful car ride with her to Coventry once.

Still have Tassell's number (unless he's changed it). I have no reason to keep it but its nice to have :p

I've seen your CV. You made some errors. It said "Poke your mum good". I can only assume you were drunk when you wrote that.

Disgusting.

They should have to take a test to work in a minimum wage retail store!

A test every few weeks, so they know all upcoming release dates for every console.

I'm just going to assume this thread is some kind of genius satire which is too clever for me.