N-Europe

Miaows and other fun linguistic things

jayseven

Huh, strange, "love" is definitely dynamic for me. How many of Dowty's tests fail for you? For me they all pass:

Forms a progressive: I am loving.

Is a complement of "force": She forced me to love her.

Occurs in imperatives: Love me!

Can be pseudo-clefted: What I did was love her.

Although my judgements are going a bit after a day of reading syntax papers. :heh:

I think your girlfriend will be a little bit annoyed if you tell her that "you are loving her". ;)

If you actually love something, you do so eternally.

And, yes, I'm perfectly aware that language is developed by usage, but I'll be dammed if McDonald's has anything to do with a major shift in the English language. :heh:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I love it" and "I am loving it" hold different meanings, though. While a lot can be attributed by colloquial/cultural use (Cheers, McD) the two terms are still distinct.

If my friend cooked me a rabbit stew after I told her I normally hate rabbit, and I said "I love it" then she may infer several things; that her meal has changed my mind, even. Whereas if I had said "I am loving it" it retains the original notion of there being a normative state for my opinion on rabbit, to which her meal has not altered, even though I am expressing my enjoyment of the meal.

My opinion of rabbit, therefore, alters, depending on which phrase I have used. While my example is not thorough nor completely correct, I hope it serves as purpose to show why the phrase is totally fine.

I don't think I ever really grasped the structure of language during my studies. I certainly didn't remember any of the correct labels or anything, but I still think I know how to phrase myself and make myself understood. Well, except for my grammar/spelling/vocab issues.

Anyway, going to thread-rip our sideshow.

"I love it" and "I am loving it" hold different meanings, though. While a lot can be attributed by colloquial/cultural use (Cheers, McD) the two terms are still distinct.

If my friend cooked me a rabbit stew after I told her I normally hate rabbit, and I said "I love it" then she may infer several things; that her meal has changed my mind, even. Whereas if I had said "I am loving it" it retains the original notion of there being a normative state for my opinion on rabbit, to which her meal has not altered, even though I am expressing my enjoyment of the meal.

My opinion of rabbit, therefore, alters, depending on which phrase I have used. While my example is not thorough nor completely correct, I hope it serves as purpose to show why the phrase is totally fine.

Even so, you're talking about that meal, and you continually love that meal - you're not going to stop loving it in 15 seconds time. If, for some reason, you did, you'd be correct saying "I don't love this meal any more", not "I'm not loving this any more".

I think your girlfriend will be a little bit annoyed if you tell her that "you are loving her". ;)

If you actually love something, you do so eternally.

And, yes, I'm perfectly aware that language is developed by usage, but I'll be dammed if McDonald's has anything to do with a major shift in the English language. :heh:

Is it McDonald's? I think it's more likely that they based their slogan on an already emerging usage, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, sematically speaking, it's surely okay to say you're loving someone so long as you accept that love can be temporary, and it seems pretty accepted today that love isn't something that's always eternal, else divorce would be less common. :heh: Although it may be that there's some kind of layering going on, with a dynamic "love" for, e.g. concepts and a stative "love" for people.

Edit: Yes, I think jayseven's point about the difference in meaning could back up this layering idea.

Edited by Supergrunch

Is it McDonald's? I think it's more likely that they based their slogan on an already emerging usage, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, sematically speaking, it's surely okay to say you're loving someone so long as you accept that love can be temporary, and it seems pretty accepted today that love isn't something that's always eternal, else divorce would be less common. :heh: Although it may be that there's some kind of layering going on, with a dynamic "love" for, e.g. concepts and a stative "love" for people.

I shall address this tomorrow, as right now I'm being tired and need to go to bed. ;)

I think you have a very specific idea of what the word 'love' can imply.

"I'm loving this meal" in itself is not a continual phrase - it is rather fixed in teh time-frame of the meal itself! The meal stops existing after I've eaten it. Thus surely it'd switch to I loved that meal," or, more to relate to the phrase we're debating; "I was loving that meal [but now it's over so I'm sad]."

I'm meaning to draw attention to the "I am" in this, I think, but I'm 6 ciders down and I'm starting to feel like I need to read my old text books because I've clearly not remembered anything from uni. It's a verb thing. Grunch?

Oh god, I had to stop reading that pretty quick, Grunch.

In progressive constructions like all of those "be" is just an auxiliary, there for the syntax really. Obviously this use of "love" does imply a time-frame, but that doesn't mean it's just for things that are transitory. You could, for instance really like breeze blocks, but then later go off them - "In the Autumn of 1983, I was loving breeze blocks, but now I'm loving tiles."

A little clarification: love is a stative verb (that's one of those pesky 'fact' things). The rules and usage regarding stative verbs, however, are changing.

I find the change irritating to my ear as no action is taken to love something. To love something is not progressive - you have no intention of ceasing to love something at a future point in time.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!