NEurope
Jonnas

The Gentlemen's Mafia - Game Thread

Several years later...

Aoife Kavanagh is now an accomplished writer. To this day, she thanks the gardener, Theodore Barnes, for his mercy and trust.

And now that her audience is sufficiently large, she finally releases a personal retelling of those nights, in book form. "The Gentlemen's Mafia" as she called it. No detail would be left untold. No side would be left unrepresented.

The book itself was a success and widely regarded as a reference in modern literature. Despite the traumatic memories, it seemed that the survivors were doing pretty well for themselves.

Somewhere, in a foreign land, a Scotsman stopped by a bookstore. Ancient memories resurfaced, names he hadn't heard in ages were as vivid as if they were first heard yesterday.

Angus MacNeil smiled to himself. "Heh... Perhaps it is time for me to return to that bloody island. My trophy stand has been incomplete for far too long..."

--------------------------

Thanks for the kind words, guys! :D I swear, there is sooo much I want to say! Just wait a sec.

Best mafia I ever been in, best mafia I ever seen. Proper top job, Jonnas.

Oh, and well done to all the players, really made this game as good as it was, even if I did get a bit frustrated sometimes :p

I actually feel kinda sad it's over. I always anticipated the new day, hoping I would still be alive. Had my Word document open most of the time, to piece information together and to try and figure out who could be evil. =P

Just going to say that this was fun to read, gentlemen (and m'lady). Managed to distract me from my work and I wasn't even playing. =P

Almost makes me wanna take part in games again. Best not though, considering the time of year...

If there is a sequel it could be beneficial to have knowledge of this game, Angus is so getting lynched if he takes part.

Thoughts on this game!

The town had a large mixture of luck and good work from our point of view I think. Jonnas commented last night on our mafia forum about Zell having the unluckiest game ever and said he would expand when it's over so I look forward to that.

I think we played pretty well overall, although chair did very little while he was alive (we sent his targets in mostly) and gmac was busy in real life and couldn't get on much which caused a few problems. Add to that Smeagol being discovered on the first night and we had a tough game! I personally think I did relatively well to survive so long with so much suspicion on me! I was convinced I would be killed after pretending I didn't receive pills (it was risky but I thought the epic amount of confusion would elongate the day and distract the town to stop any of my team mates being lynched, which worked). I think after that a lot of people suspected me but with a few people backing me up I got through okay and managed to convince several that I was good. As for the day I was lynched I was going to reveal everything I revealed after majority was reached anyway in order to make people believe me, and tbh for most people I think it may have worked. I reckon I could have wriggled out of the 15% lying thing, although that did cause me huge problems (it was a great choice from heroic to target me, I never suspected that he would), and I think I could have hopefully got most people on my side (I know heroic wouldn't have removed his vote as he has said, and maybe one or two others wouldn't, but I think I could have convinced the majority).

The rest of the mafia - they played very well. Gmac was unlucky with his circumstances. Chair didn't do much but it was okay because his power let him look like other people so we could get away with it. Zell played very well, and was really unlucky when he was lynched from our point of view (although the town did make a good call). Smeagol was really unlucky from the start as he was instantly cornered by townies who had info on him. There was no way out for him!

One thing that annoys me is the Diageo incident as I feel like it's going to overshadow this game for me. I killed him last night for several reasons:

1) He had been on the mafia hit list from day 2 or 3 but we'd got unlucky the first time we targeted him

2) He had suspected me since I lied (although oddly enough the day before the pill confusion, when Rez was convinced of my guilt and leading a campaign against me, Diageo was defending me hugely which I really appreciated because I genuinely did have problems getting on and it was nice to have someone standing up for me for a genuine reason :) )

3) While it was an 'experiment', it annoyed me, and several other people in this game. In my opinion it was not in the spirit of the game and lowered the tone of the entire day to an argument rather than a discussion. After he called a number of people names and insinuated that certain people were stupid, I personally felt that he didn't deserve to continue in the game. Luckily he apologised and explained himself, but after some discussions on the mafia boards after Zell was lynched we decided I should kill Diageo and Cube as primary targets, and if I was still alive then move on to others (although we knew this was unlikely). I would have targeted Cube as he was an investigator, but as he was so valuable to the town it was obvious that he was going to be protected. We thought Diageo would not be, so I went for him. Cube would have been my target for the next night if I had survived, only as revenge for his huge contributions to the deaths of Zell and Smeagol :)

Anyway, in the end it is just a game and it was certainly one of the best I have played in. It was a bit of a shame that the game didn't end as the mafia died as it was a slight anti-climax, but nevertheless it was thoroughly enjoyed by me. I especially loved the PMs and the way in which information was given out. It was an exceedingly well balanced game in terms of town-mafia, with the right ratio, and although there were several investigators the nature of their info made it very fair.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts after Jonnas', but all I can say is well done to the town, and to Jonnas for constructing such an excellent game.

TL;DR The game was epic, the town were good and the mafia a little unlucky!

Badtimetorunoutofthanks. All four of the above, I agree with (no doubt someone would've posted by the time I said this so it'll probably be skewered).

This was seriously one of the besssssst mafia games ever. So very very tense haha.

Seriously it was so hard for me not to come out and say "Dudes, I'm the Princess, just trust me ok?" because people kept suspecting me of being evil or whatever. And I always had to think very long over what I was going to say or not, as to not give myself away or make myself more suspicious. =P

Also, I actually got a different power every night. Loved it. I stole Zell's map, and I sent a note to Maddog about that map (he claimed it as his own, tsssk =P ). And that note after mr-paul's death about Nintendohnut was from me too. Enjoyed it muchly! =D

That is an awesome power. You did very well to keep your princessing a secret, though I called it quite alot earlier you did well to make me think otherwise. I was surprised Danny didn't go for you then though, but I guess it'd have made him a very fast target for the rest of us. Peeps's protection swap was a genius move, also.

Was it based on the game, he said I didn't deserve to win, and I didn't deserve a point on the leaderboard, not that my suspicions were dangerous for him or that my power could stop him from winning.

It was clearly not based on the game, killing someone like a protector would have been much smarter, and he probably wouldn't have been lynched.

It was and was not personal I imagine, I should suspect it was due to your earlier attitude in the game, rather than just because he doesn't like you in general.

EDIT: I typed the above before I saw Dohnut's post above.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

DOUBLE POST: Oh one final thing to Cube and everyone - I was the Don and appeared good when investigated. That's why I was always 'polite' and 'kind' etc. It was probably the most useful part of my power :)

Oh and jay, I was the polite man you punched in the face! I was trying to protect Rez in an effort to look innocent lol.

At least my final actions saved Eenuh. I must not have been thinking properly when I set myself as the other target :nono: oh well.

Fantastic game. Everything was just right; the theme, the write-ups, user activity (mostly), deception, trickery, lies, deceit, trust, love, fun, the list goes on...

I never called anyone names, I specifically did not do that. I insinuated stupidity like you said but made sure never to call anyone names. I was giving an unfriendly vibe mostly.

Yes Diageo I would like to clarify that I personally like you plenty :) I really don't want you to think it was a personal thing, simply that within this game, for the reasons above, we decided to kill you. I certainly will understand if you do the same in a later game (as that's just the nature of the games) and as far as I'm concerned it's no hard feelings whether you do or not *offers hand for gentlemanly handshake* I hope one day we will be on the mafia team together, then we can really break some skulls :D

That is an awesome power. You did very well to keep your princessing a secret, though I called it quite alot earlier you did well to make me think otherwise. I was surprised Danny didn't go for you then though, but I guess it'd have made him a very fast target for the rest of us. Peeps's protection swap was a genius move, also.

I actually got annoyed at you calling me out as the princess several times. It made you look highly suspicious to me, as I figured someone who was town wouldn't try to endanger the princess. It's why I ended up roleblocking you one of the last few nights. =P

About that, I wasn't actually an investigator as I made people believe, since I got a different power every night. It's just that a few of them also made me find out names, so I tried to make that sound like my real power. Any time I didn't come out with info was because I either didn't get any or I did something that would make me look evil (stealing the map for example).

I thought Mr-Paul was the princess originally. But I wasn't sure about Danny's claims because it seemed weird that he had to know who she was to win, rather than just keep her safe :p It was some nice lying though :D

Oh yeah I was the only one left, but on the forum Zell and Smeagol were still giving input into the game, just their reading of situations etc. We were talking about who I should target on the last few nights and discussing the game from our perspectives really. We knew it was game over for the mafia as there was no way I would kill everyone in the town apart from one person, so we were just trying to have 'one last fling' before I was inevitably lynched really. We were going to try and see how long I could survive. Wasn't too long in the end lol :p

In other news, I want to hear Jonnas' thoughts!

Oh yeah I was the only one left, but on the forum Zell and Smeagol were still giving input into the game, just their reading of situations etc. We were talking about who I should target on the last few nights and discussing the game from our perspectives really. We knew it was game over for the mafia as there was no way I would kill everyone in the town apart from one person, so we were just trying to have 'one last fling' before I was inevitably lynched really. We were going to try and see how long I could survive. Wasn't too long in the end lol :p

In other news, I want to hear Jonnas' thoughts!

Isn't that against the rules, MR Diageo is deleting posts.

I thought Mr-Paul was the princess originally. But I wasn't sure about Danny's claims because it seemed weird that he had to know who she was to win, rather than just keep her safe :p It was some nice lying though :D

Agreed, Danny did very well to survive so long after coming out as a killer, we usually lynch vigilantes straight away! Who can trust an angry scot!?!

I tried to lie low because I didnt want too much focus on me as I felt my power was very useful. I knew it was game over for me as sooon as I had to say that I had an important role and then had the trust of Cube and others who had been widely accepted as good. That pretty much revealed me to the mafia as the princess or the note-writer I think.

I enjoyed getting the info into the write up and trying to work out whether the power was reliable or not, hence the first day when Cube totally denounced the note I was a tad confused. Luckily it all worked out when we found the role of chairdriver. I can't remember if he died before or after I targeted Nintendohnut, but looking back seeing my info was pretty accurate we should have taken him lying about not receiving pills as evidence to lynch him.

Hey-ho, it was a win for the town in the end in probably the best mafia game yet. I loved how even though everyone there was a list of pretty much confirmed townies, there was still plenty of distrust and confusion between them all!

And on the Nintendohnut side of things, how spiteful. Didn't deserve a point on the leaderboards. At least you killing me was your downfall since you were the main culprit that I had never trusted, don't even begin to think you could have stopped yourself being lynched.

For the record, you suspected everyone. I made that write-up like that to fit the House-like personality you exhibited throughout the game.

I also thought that, if people were going for that suspicion, they'd go for ReZ, considering past days :p I never really believed people would act on that (and they didn't).

And now, where did I lie?

comichypochondria1.png

You know fully well that is not how your power works, Diageo.

I agree, Jonnas needs to do another - but not a gentlemen II. While that flavour was novel and brilliant, I think it just calls for self-contained themes for future games rather than another trip to the costume-drama era. For now, at least.

We never know what the future holds... Though my next game might work as a sequel to this, I want a new setting, definitely.

Except for the dumb protector.

When the game started I was all AFK and stuff, and when I was around I had to constantly fend off suspicion. Then I made stupid unreadable written notes when I spent hours trolling though the thread (to no reward, really). I would love to know which nights my protection actually saved a life!

Oh lord... Jayseven was both the most ineffectual and the most effective protector in this game. Since he punched people indiscriminately, it was hard enough as it was, but he managed to punch himself not once, not twice, but three times! Did you not catch the hint the first time around, Jayseven?

Also, he stopped the mafia kill twice in a row. Both he and the mafia went for odd, random targets, so I was a bit amazed that Jayseven got it right twice in a row.

As for the unlucky mafia... Actually, Zell wasn't the unlucky one. Well, not completely. Here's how it went:

-Sméagol, who was vital to crippling the town, was investigated by the only fully reliable investigator on the first night. Moreso, they were going to kill that same investigator, but were redirected!;

-chairdriver was inactive. Bloody chairdriver was bloody inactive. He annoyed me because his participation was just "Post the PM I received in the mafia board. Read the main thread. Don't post". I mean, what the hell?!

He was going to be modkilled anyway, but his death was bad for the mafia, because he accidentally cleared ReZ's name. Plus, his death came to a coin toss;

-gmac was lynched for inactivity. He was being lynched, from an inactive list that included Jayseven, Paj Meen Ah, Dyson, Tales, and I think chair was still alive at the time. He was less inactive than any of these 5. I wondered at this point if someone in the town was cheating;

-Zell said "I'll kill either Diageo or MadDog (Useful townies who were annoying him). Probably MadDog". I knew at this point that trying to kill MadDog was a really bad idea, and I was rooting for the mafia, so I went "Huhhh....I'll flip a coin for your target If you don't answer me in the next 2 hours". Zell said "Yup, totally MadDog".

Diageo would've been an awesome choice for you guys. Alas, it was not meant to be;

-Nintendohnut was awesome in his role. Really, I thought he could do it. But heroicjanitor analysed his posts. I didn't even know why he did it, but it was the best decision he could've done for him. But the mafia's bad luck streak lasted until the end.

--------------------

Other comments and random info on the way!

Isn't that against the rules, MR Diageo is deleting posts.

Dead mafiosos offering theories and speculation is not against the rules in my book. Sméagol actually thought he couldn't do it before I gave him permission.

Hey I didn't know how my power worked, I said all I knew is that it helped others, and that is all you told me.

The comic had the doctor helping the hypochondriac.

Did you not catch the hint the first time around, Jayseven?

To be fair, I protected myself twice. But only because I thought I was going to be targeted those nights (on both nights that I did, I was most likely to target MadDog again, luckily the mafia didn't go for him on those days). I wasn't too far off the second time (turns out I was second on the list).

As for Gmac. I believe we had various little bits of information that went against him.

Hey I didn't know how my power worked, I said all I knew is that it helped others, and that is all you told me.

The comic had the doctor helping the hypochondriac.

It featured a doctor making his patient's life is worse. That is the opposite of what you did.

-Nintendohnut was awesome in his role. Really, I thought he could do it. But heroicjanitor analysed his posts. I didn't even know why he did it, but it was the best decision he could've done for him.

Did you not see my big argument with Nintendohnut? I just wouldn't believe he was good. I really didn't trust him. Your thing saying that he was killed by someone he didn't trust made me think that you were referring to Nintendohnut because surely Diageo would know he was lying about the pills too.