NEurope
Dannyboy-the-Dane

The Colour Mafia

It would explain everything if there never were 2 mafias, but 1 mafia and a serial killer (notice the non-specificness of people coming up as evil), and we've managed to kill the serial killer since the night where there were 5 killers.

Zell can you cop me so I don't have to be a target?

It would explain everything if there never were 2 mafias, but 1 mafia and a serial killer (notice the non-specificness of people coming up as evil), and we've managed to kill the serial killer since the night where there were 5 killers.

Zell can you cop me so I don't have to be a target?

How so, if it's not the same person killing those players? Hell, Mundi killed a mafioso on the first night, which could only mean the serial killer was him, but things have not swayed that way.

And hopefully, you'll agree with me in when I say that we won't get anywhere just by investigating people. We need to lynch someone.

I've got no defense, I've already shown all my cards. Have we confirmed Jonnas as good though? I still think my double vote is a good reason to get rid of me, but clearly the mafia is too scared to kill for fear it might be blindingly obvious as we know who everyone is.

If Rummy is town then getting rid of him would make sense for the mafia as he has a double vote... that's the only reasoning for suspecting Jonnas at the moment.

But I remember Jonnas was the first to go for Tellyn after protecting him the night he killed Cube so I doubt he's mafia. He's also been among the first to vote for suspected/definite mafia peoples so I really doubt he's mafia.

Also, I hadn't noticed Rummy doesn't show up the night Diageo was killed (without the killer's colour being mentioned) and Dyson's power was to remove people from the write-up wasn't it? He definitely said something about it I'm sure.

Vote: Rummy

I just realised I forgot to reply to your raging at me earlier Rummy. I said I was going to vote for you because you said if you were mafia, you know what you would do. So I didn't want to take the chance you were mafia. Your anger also sounded like you were looking for something to be angry at as a distraction... Now we have some decent evidence anyway so it's not just me guessing.

Considering Rummy's push for targets last day phase and scaremongering regarding mafia starting to hit people again despite the fact that they would be giving themselves away.

VOTE: Rummy

Rummy (6): Jonnas, The Peeps, MadDog, chairdriver, heroicjanitor, Marcamillian

No Lynch (1): Zell

6 is the majority.

The majority has been reached!

Rummy is dead. He was Cyan. He was evil.

All threats against the town have been eliminated. The town wins!

Winning players:

chairdriver

Eenuh

heroicjanitor

Jonnas

MadDog

Marcamillian

Nintendohnut

Sméagol

The Peeps

Zell

Role list and comments on the game coming later.

Woot! :yay: Proper investigation FTW!

I think I know what you were trying to do with this game, Dannyboy. But I thought it was pretty unfeasible doing the write-ups like that and not give away the mafiosos' identity. The entire mafia would have to be made of "colour changers", and even then I'm not sure if it would work.

It sure was frantic and confusing, though, so there's a nice positive.

Having every colour revealed in the write-ups heavily crippled the mafia do to pretty much anything...

My ability (could send messages to people) was made pretty much useless because the write-up clearly stated that I send a message to a certain player which really made the whole secrecy behind it mute...

WHAT! I was THE last mafia?! I thought there was the other mafia! Goddamit, I should have killed some fooools!

I just realised I forgot to reply to your raging at me earlier Rummy. I said I was going to vote for you because you said if you were mafia, you know what you would do. So I didn't want to take the chance you were mafia. Your anger also sounded like you were looking for something to be angry at as a distraction... Now we have some decent evidence anyway so it's not just me guessing.

Actually, I thought the other mafia existed, if I was that mafia, I would have killed Zell as about 3/4 people were asking him for investigations to prove their goodness, rendering that option completely useless. I said that's what I would have thought the mafia would do, but I obviously wasn't going to give them ideas. Thinking that because I can(as the game requires) think like a mafia, makes me mafia, is some pretty retarded logic in my opinion.

Anyhow, well played everyone. I should have paid more attention to who died from the other mafia, instead of remaining convinced they still existed.

Roles:

Mafia (Evil)

You are mafia. Your job is to kill off the other players until you have gained majority in the town. Each night one of you may sacrifice his or her nightpower in order to kill off a player.

Dark Blue (Paj Meen Ah)

When investigated, you will appear as good. In addition, you may once in the game force a lynch when half the majority has been reached (round up if necessary, e.g. if the majority is 9, you can force-lynch someone with 5 votes). Simply PM me sayng you wish to force the lynch. It will not be revealed that you were responsible. Note that I may not see the PM immediately, but even if the discussion moves on and votes are changed, if the force-lynch was possible at the time I recived your PM, it will be successful.

Bright Yellow (Tellyn)

Each night you may select a player to roleblock. His or her active nightpower will fail that night. In addition, the colour of the player you target as well as the colours of any players that target you will appear brighter in that night's write-up.

Dark colours will appear as regular colours, and regular colours will appear as bright. Bright colours will not be affected.

Bright Green (jayseven)

Each night may select two players whose colours you wish to switch in that night's write-up.

Rainbow (Mundi)

Each night you may select a player to deliver a note to. You decide entirely what the note says (just PM it to me together with your target), and the origin of the note won't be revealed to the player. In addition, you may each night select any colour to appear as in the write-up. Select both name and hex triplet of the colour you wish to appear as.

Selecting a shade of black, white or grey will result in Rainbow appearing as himself. If he fails to select a colour, he will also appear as himself.

Mafia (Evil)

You are mafia. Your job is to kill off the other players until you have gained majority in the town. Each night one of you may sacrifice his or her nightpower in order to kill off a player.

Cyan (Rummy)

When investigated, you will appear as good. In addition, you have a double vote.

Dark Yellow (Ellmeister)

Each night you may select a player to roleblock. His or her active nightpower will fail that night. In addition, the colour of the player you target as well as the colours of any players that target you will appear darker in that night's write-up.

Bright colours will appear as regular colours, and regular colours will appear as dark. Dark colours will not be affected.

Bright Magenta (MoogleViper)

Each night you may select a player who will appear as evil to any investigators that night.

Grey (Dyson)

You will not appear in the write-ups. In addition, you may each night select a player to remove from that night's write-up.

Town

Bright Red (Marcamillian) (Good)

You have no powers. Good luck.

Red (ReZourceman) (Good)

Each night you may select a player to protect and roleblock. His or her active nightpower will fail, but any nightpowers, including nightkills, directed at him or her that night will fail as well.

Dark Red (The Peeps) (Good)

Once in the game, you may in the night phase select a player to find out whom he or she has targetted each night up until and including the current night. This power cannot fail.

Yellow (dan-likes-trees) (Good)

Each night you may select a player to find out what player(s) he or she was targetted by that night.

Green (Zell) (Good)

Each night you may select a player to find out his or her alignment.

Dark Green (chairdriver) (Good)

Each night you may select a player to kill. Use with care.

Bright Cyan (Cube) (Good)

Each night you may select a player to find out his or her power(s).

If Black or White is investigated, the PM will say that the player can investigate another player's colour and under certain circumstances both colour and alignment. It will also be mentioned that in one particular case, he or she is able to kill someone.

Dark Cyan (Jonnas) (Good)

Each night you may select a player to protect. Any nightpowers, including nightkills, directed at that player that night will fail.

Bright Blue (Eenuh) (Good)

You will not appear in the write-ups. Each night you may select one or two players. The colour(s) of the player(s) will be underlined in that night's write-up.

If a player who would not appear in that night's write-up is targetted, he or she will now appear underlined. The player(s) selected will always be underlined regardless of colour changes.

Blue (Sméagol) (Good)

Each night you may select a single statement from the previous day phase that you wish to verify. I will reveal to you whether the statement was true or false.

The lie detector power will reveal the truth no matter what. However, it can only verify a statement that the player making the statement knows to be true or false.

Magenta (Nintendohnut) (Good)

Each night you may select at player. If that player receives any PMs from the game host (me) that night, you will receive a copy of each of them.

Dark Magenta (MadDog) (Good)

Once in the game, you may in the day phase choose to have a player's complete identity revealed in the thread by me, including colour, alignment and power(s). Simply state in bold in the thread whose role you wish to have revealed, and I will reveal it as soon as I see your post.

If Black or White is revealed, it will be said that he or she is a team together with the other colour. The other player won't be revealed.

Black (Diageo) & White (heroicjanitor) (Neutral)

You are a team. You can communicate with each other outside the thread. Your job is to find your ex-teammate Grey, who you know to be evil. Each night you may each investigate a player to find out his or her colour. If you both target the same player, you will find out both his or her colour and alignment. Once you have found Grey, you must both target him on the same night in order to kill him. If one of you dies or is lynched, the other gets the ability to find out both colour and alignment as well as kill Grey on his or her own. Once you have done this, you become townies. If Grey is killed or lynched before you can get to him, you can still help the town win the game, but you will only gain half a victory each.

Note that comments in italics were not PM'ed as part of the players' roles. They were rule notes for myself.

Notes on the game itself will follow!

I enjoyed this game. At first it was a little overwhelming, but after a couple of nights we started being able to fit all the pieces together.

The problem was that so could everyone else.

What I did like was how unusual some roles were that kept things on edge - tellyn's role to lighten colours that targetted him, Mundi's role to replace any other colour, and paj's ability to force a vote -- we didn't really utilise all of these for a while, but we had a couple of successful nights where we effectively killed off most of the opposing mafia... then when we figured we were down to one mafia it was all over. We had no chance.

I think props should be given to dannyboy for creating a very exciting and confusing game. The only downside would be that it was weighted a little bit too much towards town (consider how many townies were left at the end), mostly by having so much so obvious in the write-up, but we as mafia could've done a little better.

Right!

I have longed to comment on this game for a LONG time - as I have have also mentioned a few times. All in all, I have pretty mixed feelings about this game, possibly leaning towards the negative.

Now, first of all, when I made this game, I had grown tired of the predictability of the write-ups. The mafia often didn't stand a chance because the write-ups had become too revealing. Also, I never liked the entirely write-up-less games like chair's Marvel Mafia because, frankly, those games are too hard for the town in my opinion. I wanted to strike the right balance, and I think I was on to something with this game - but I also believe I failed in trying to implement it properly.

The general idea of this game was: "There are simple, yet detailed write-ups - but they can't be trusted!" I made a lot of powers that could change the write-up and cause confusion. I was especially proud of Mundi's ability to camouflage himself as any colour and deliver a note to anyone. This could really have created some interesting confusion, I believe, but he only used it once. Also, the idea of two mafias had been tossed around, so I decided to go with it. Balancing the number of players in each mafia was also hard, and I honestly don't know if I managed to balance that properly.

To comment on the game itself, I admit that I failed my mission. It was still too easy for the town to work things out from the write-up, and the mafias really didn't stand much of a chance. On the positive side, the simplicity and uniqueness of the write-ups did seem to confuse people, and the write-up-affecting powers worked fairly well. In the end, though, it didn't seem like it was enough.

Now for some specific comments:

Paj Meen Ah, I apologise for the "mistake" in the write-up for night 1. The thought never crossed my mind how people would interpret the way I had worded it. I made sure to avoid that mistake in the following write-ups.

The correction of the write-up for night 2 was simply me having forgotten to add in the effect of the two yellows. Ironically, this neat idea intended to confuse people ended up confusing myself as well.

On this final night, I was again confused by the nature of the write-ups. I made a mistake by giving Nintendohnut a copy of Sméagol's PM instead of Zell's PM. It was luckily not a big deal, though, so I simply corrected it and let the game move on.

Oh, and HJ: I know the colours of the rainbow are a bit different, but the colours of this game were built around the hex code colours, so it was really for consistency's sake - and for mine. I had not considered how bothersome it would be to colour all the colour names in each write-up! NEVER AGAIN!

The mafias sometimes forgot to send me their targets. Did you lose interest? Or did you feel it was too difficult for you to win?

In any case, I am aware that this game had a lot of flaws. As I said in the beginning, I failed what I set out to do with this mafia, and even though some of the things worked, they could have worked a lot better. In conclusion, I have mixed feelings about this game, and I lean to the negative side. I hope it has still been enjoyable.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

I think it would've been better if the mafia's consisted of at least 5 members.. But then, I'm slightly disappointed it ended before I knew it :D.

I like the colour messing abilities, something we obviously didn't expect in the beginning, at least not to this extent.

I like to apologise to Dannyboy and my fellow townies, I absolutely loved my role, and it was very versatile, but well, it had some requirements.. Plus I actually forgot to send a target in one night (which I believe was a bad night to have missed, but I'm not sure).

The only thing I knew that was directly useful, was that Paj was evil, however, as I like to remain unrevealed as long and as much as possible, and Zell was drumming up targets anyway, so I didn't mention it, and then Chair took care of him anyway. The other bits of info I have weren't really useful. This night I found out Nintendohnut was good, but so did the rest of town :D. I should've targeted Rummy, then I would've had confirmation he was evil.

Overall nice game Dannyboy! Again, only wished it lasted a little longer ;).

Edited by Sméagol

Your power was really cool Sméagol, it's a shame you didn't share it with people but it would've made you a big target for the mafia whose job it is to lie and subvert in the day phases.

The write-ups definitely confused everyone for at least the first 2 nights but then we started to piece together things that were consistent and once we'd worked out everyone's colour it was obviously impossible for the mafia to kill without being known.

One problem for the mafia I guess was that they kept killing members of the opposing mafia off. This probably made their numbers dwindle too quickly for them to be an effective team.

I really enjoyed this game but by the end it was definitely too easy for the town. I think some of the roles were really good though and definitely the ability to change the write-ups confused most of us for a while.

I had fun this game, but not sure if the mafia did?

Can I just add that I love being the vigilante. It feels like you can take shite into your own hands.

I don't like 2 mafias, because most of the time they end up playing against each other, letting the town just sit there. I think this game would have been better without a vigilante, but had a serial killer instead -- because a serial killer makes a concious effort to kill both townies and mafia.

Or I would have loved if the mafias took turns in making kills, and there was only 1 kill each night. It feels far more tense that way.

The thing is, with 2 mafia's it becomes very useful for them to have typical townies roles. They really could use an investigator for example.

If anyone's interested, my targets:

Night 1:

Maddog saying "he's mafia" after voting reZ.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1210395&postcount=21

Reaction:

MadDog doesn't know if his statement is true or false.

Night 2:

Paj Meen Ah:

"I'm neutral"

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1211115&postcount=83

Reaction:

Paj Meen Ah's statement is false.

Night 3:

Zell:

"Dyson is evil."

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1212438&postcount=213

Reaction: Got roleblocked.

Night 4:

After slaying numerous zombies in L4D, I forgot to send in a PM.

Night 5:

Nintendohnut:

"Got nothing last night, again."

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1214705&postcount=433\

Reaction:

Nintendohnut's statement is true.

Night 6:

heroicjanitor:

"Mundi is evil"

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1215249&postcount=451

Reaction:

heroicjanitor believes his statement is true.

Night 7:

Nintendohnut

"I'm not a evil"

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1216184&postcount=492

Reaction:

Nintendohnut's statement is true.

I should have gone for:

Rummy

"I'm good"

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1216022&postcount=478

I chose Nintendohnut, because if he wasn't lying about his ability, and if he was good, I had a confirmed ally, who could also 100% verify I was good the following night using both our abilities (using my ability on myself). But I was under the impression there were more than 1 mafia members remaining.

I'm behind the whole "The two mafias cancelled each other out". They engaged in a gang war that had us all eating popcorn at the rainbow-coloured carnage that followed

(By the way, with all these investigators, catching the last mafia member on my own was very satisfying.)

Anyway, the idea with the write-ups wasn't bad, but:

1.The killers seriously need to remain in secrecy;

2.The mafiosos should've had more write-up-changing powers.

Or at least that's what I think.

@Sméagol: Hey, the Gentlemen are still in line! :heh:

I'm glad people still enjoyed it. :) I'm of course very much aware of the flaws, and I gladly receive any and all suggestions for improvement.

I think you were very inventive with your roles, and am glad you gave me the role-switcher role, something I loved having in the smash bros mafia.