N-Europe

Help Me Move To London!

Ashley

donate_button.gif

:heh:

As you may have heard me rambling about before I am moving to London in about five weeks but I need some help.

Where to live

The campus is in Islington (right here) so anywhere around there. Preferably within walking distance (considering I currently walk 2.5 miles to work and could do a bit more) or cycling, although I'd need to get a bike first. Trying to avoid public transport because I'll be broke anyway, although if needs be the bus'll do.

So yeah, in/around there (Islington, Hackney, Camden and Harringey seem best yeah?). Websites of use? Gumtree obviously. Moveflat, spareroom and findaproperty have also been suggested. Any others?

Have the last weekend of the month off so planning to look around then so need to get some stuff sorted soon. But finish work on the 3rd September and plan to move around the 20th so I have a bit of time if needs be.

General tips or...whatever?

Money

Estimates of costs of living? I have money saved up that will cover the course cost (£3,300ish) and housing for a while but considering getting a Professional and Careers Development Loan (and hopefully not using it but want it as a backup) and trying to decide how much.

Any clues or ideas would be helpful about how much you think a year in London will set you back.

And anything else people can think of.

Edited by Ashley

Have you considered living away from London and commuting in? It can be less expensive in the long run, potentially.

I'm moving to nearby London (Stevenage) in about a months time with my girlfriend and friend, and we're saving a packet despite the transport costs. I'll be coming in at King's Cross, then I'll either walk 15 mins or get a tube to Euston Square for UCL.

For us, our 2 bedroom appartment that looks really swish is coming in at £895 ppm including utility bills. So under 300 each, which is pretty good. We contacted nearby letting agencies (and had a look on Rightmove) and they arranged several viewings for us. We went to about 6 places and settled on the one we wanted.

I don't know how much living will cost (broadband/phone line rental/TV license are the only remaining utilities) - travelling into London is fairly expensive though with an annual season ticket being around 2.5k. I'd guess that furniture will be a few hundred each, and food shopping probably around 20-25 a week each.

Edited by Sheikah

For us, our 2 bedroom appartment that looks really swish is coming in at £895 ppm including utility bills. So under 300 each, which is pretty good.

Care to explain that maths? Oh and I don't need "really swish" :p

Anyway I don't think outer London is really a viable option. I will be at uni around 40 hours a week (and that's just the set amount, more if I decide to stop for longer obviously). I spent the last year commuting two hours each way to work and while its possible I'd rather be focusing on uni.

I know people who have houseshares that are around £500/month all in so its possible. I did find a room in Highgate which seems okay but I need to check the viability of buses (and annoyingly it was on ULHS, a password protected site that changes every week but it expires on Sundays and they send out new ones on Monday -_-)

I don't particularly know the prices of living in London, but right now my flat is 3grand for the year and I'm paying just over 330 a month, I can imagine unless you get bills included you'll need more than you have.

Artfuldodger is a good site to check for properties.

I don't particularly know the prices of living in London, but right now my flat is 3grand for the year and I'm paying just over 330 a month, I can imagine unless you get bills included you'll need more than you have.

Artfuldodger is a good site to check for properties.

Cheers.

I have enough to go for a while (don't feel like sharing my exact bank balance on here though :heh:) but its the uncertainty that gets me, hence why I'm considering a PCDL. If you pay it back within a month of your course finishing you don't pay interest so hopefully I can get it, bung it into a high-interest savings account and pay it back. But I need to figure out how much I want to apply for (and risk paying back) in case I do need it.

Ashley; sheikah's 2-bed pad is shared with his mate and his girlfriend. I presume it's a similar set-up to what me, shorty and nami did when we had our flat.

Oh yeah missed that ^_^ Similar to my third year sitch too. Except Nick didn't pay anything even though he was there all the time. Bastard. And then wouldn't let me crash at his one night a few months last year. Cunt.

Am I being too eager (well, too prepared) in looking now considering I'm looking to move around the 20th September? I've booked the last weekend of August off work (under the pretence that I'm going to a wedding) to house hunt but would that be too soon? Would it be best to wait until the first week or two in September?

I'm moving at almost exactly the same time as you, I'd say end of August / Early September is about right, you should be able to at least see a good few places and get an idea of where you want to be and how much it's all going to set you back. You'll probably have to make an extra trip afterwards though to finalize everything I'd have thought.