Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Home Sweet Home

spirited away

With university drawing ever closer, It's made me appreciate the area I live in even more (Surrey). I feel privileged to have been brought up here, and just wish I can afford to live somewhere similar when I'm older (somewhere within a decent radius of London, but with the suburban vibe).

I'm interested to hear whether you enjoy living where you do, and even where you would live in an ideal world. :)

I love having grown up in Edinburgh. It's a brilliant city. It's probably the most attractive city I've been to in the UK, and layout-wise it's brilliant. I can walk home from town easy (safely), whilst enjoying lovely joke streets along a river/through a crematorium, past stunning houses etc.

They've torn down all the ugly tower blocks from the majority of the main/inner city, except for 2 right near the docks, and they add cause they're bright yellow. I'd love to come to uni here from somewhere else, but having come from here, I want to actively leave home(town) to go to uni.

I love where I live. Right next to the beach, yet only 15 minutes from the centre of Newcastle. We always have loads of stuff going on around here, festivals, beach parties etc. There's pretty much everything you could ask for.

A little different than Paj and spirited away. Currently I live in a pretty small village in the west of Ireland, which I love. I've lived here my entire life and even though it would be fascinating to live in some big city, I secretly love this small village. Everybody kinda knows each other and are fairly friendly. Most people here are also very proud of our village, which is evident when it comes to sport!

It has all the shops you need for you're day to day stuff and a lot of fields and grass etc. surrounding. My favorite part is that my bedroom window looks out on this gigantic tree which I love to see changing throughout the year. Beside the tree there is just one small farm house and huge acres of grass where there are loads of cows. It also faces west so the sun(when it's sunny) is lovely when it sets and leaves my room a beautiful red-ish glow :)

Woah! Sorry about writing so much, I kinda just zoned out a little there :p Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm trying to sell you the village :P

It's a dead-end, ex-mining village where the local school's 5 A-C rate has been improved to a whopping 20%. 80% of people are claiming some form of disability. It's just generally a shit place. That's why I went a bit further away than everyone here who just goes to sheffield/lincoln. It's why I won't be living near here when I graduate.

I used to think my town was the same as Ashley's and in all matters it really is, but since being away at uni at Sheffield I've realised I enjoy the peace and quiet going home brings, I don't hear sirens at all times of the night, I don't worry about my car and most importantly I don't go searching downstairs because I heard a loud bang.

My home town is pretty, well as pretty as it can be right now with everyone digging up the roads, my main view in my bedroom is fields and thats all I can ask for, much better than several hundred houses and a bright yellow mosque (which frankly I want to go in and see, but I'm not sure if they'd let me...hmm curiousity is biting!)

It's a dead-end, ex-mining village where the local school's 5 A-C rate has been improved to a whopping 20%. 80% of people are claiming some form of disability. It's just generally a shit place. That's why I went a bit further away than everyone here who just goes to sheffield/lincoln. It's why I won't be living near here when I graduate.

I used to think this, but I don't think our area is actually that bad. Yes a lot of the towns are shockingly shit, but it doesn't take much more than a 5 minute drive in any direction to find a nice little town or village. We've got lots of forests and country parks and we're not very far from the peak district. It can't be that bad when there's a Center Parcs close by eh?

I'm not saying everything is perfect though, the actual town I live in is as Moogle described. But other than that it's a semi decent area to live in.

When I graduate I wouldn't want to live where I do now, but I wouldn't mind living within an hour or so away. (Which actually gives me quite a lot of places to live.)

Tiny village, no shops, one shit pub, no buses...

I hate where I live now, it's boring as fuck and wanna get out as soon as possible! It doesn't help that I've lived here for nearly 24 years now. My plan is to move to Bristol but it's not as easy as just upping and leaving straight away.

I love Bournemouth. It's got everything...sun, sea, sand, sex. It's really pretty awesome. Go anywhere else and you just find out it lacks things Bournemouth has.

I don't ever want to leave :)

But everyone else doesn't have you so its swings and roundabouts.

Doesn't Swings & Roundabouts mean that me being in Bournemouth is a bad thing? Like you gain with swings and lose with roundabouts? At least that's how I've always understood that idiom

I looked it up:

what you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts (British & Australian) something that you say to describe a situation in which there are as many advantages as there are problems If you make more money, you have to pay more tax, so what we gain on the swings, we lose on the roundabouts. It's swings and roundabouts, really. If you save money by buying a house out of town, you pay more to travel to work.

Which I take to mean that though you would live happily in Bournemouth, everybody else would not have you, and that would be bad. Essentially, he was complimenting you!