N-Europe

Space and the Universe

Jimbob

That episode was INSANE.

Hello 100 billion degree supernova.

Seriously though....Beetlejuice. I was like "Omg cool" then he was like "could be in a million years" mother fucker!

Though he did say we're long overdue, typically one per century and hasn't been one since the 1600's. So even if it's not Beetlejuice we've got a good chance of one... though yeah the closer the star the better!

Biggest this year or forever/ages?

I think what it is, Rez, is the biggest full moon for 19 years. As I understand it, the moon regularly gets this close to us, but this time it's a full moon. This article is very good:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1367474/Super-moon-spectacle-light-skies-tomorrow-night-theres-need-worry-lunacy.html?ITO=1490

Don't forget it, everyone! Anyone taking a picture?

Apparently it'll be 14% bigger and 30% brighter.

Had a great view of it last night (though obviously not at it's peak), but apparently there's a chance of cloudy skies tonight, but it's looking alright at the moment, lovely clear sunny day, so fingers crossed it'll stay that way until it gets dark!

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah the skies have slowly clouded pretty much here aswell, I don't think it's gonna be any good tonight! And tomorrow's meant to be rainy!

This is so crap! I haven't been able to view any of the recent events like meteor showers, the lunar eclipse etc... due to crap weather!

Well after about an hour of battling with the telescope to first find the moon then keep it in shot I managed to attempt to take some photos through it like they showed on Stargazing Live. Its a lot harder than they made it look, at least with my camera. Its a shame Goafer was busy as he would have been a big help. Just uploading the photos now to see if any turned out ok, unfortunately I doubt it though.

I had a good view of it as it rose, but then it went into the clouds a bit. Wasn't really able to get a photo that picked up any real detail... might as well of just been photographing the moon on any night really.

And it looked better last night to me I think.

I have to say it doesn't seem to look very big to me right now. =P

About half an hour ago, when it rose, it seemed a bit bigger than usual, but right now I don't notice much of a difference?

It always looks bigger while close to the horizon. Our minds are tricked into thinking it's closer, making it seem bigger.

I wouldn't say it looks bigger, either, but it's definitely more yellow and a heck of a lot brighter than it normally is.

I remember once, many many years ago (somewhere in the 90's) I saw a moon that was huuuuuge and all orange. Was when we were driving through France heh. Was a lot more impressive than it looks now. =P

Seriously just looks the same it does every other night heh.

As I figured, the shots didnt come out brilliantly. Although in the end it seems to be a problem with camera focus more than anything. Goafer will definitely have to be here next time I try this.

They're very impressive. That's one heck of a lens you've got.

Mine, on the other hand, are pathetic. Probably not worth the energy it takes to left-click on them. :heh:

19Marshed.jpg

Supermoon008.jpg

Supermoon012.jpg

Supermoon013.jpg

I remember once, many many years ago (somewhere in the 90's) I saw a moon that was huuuuuge and all orange. Was when we were driving through France heh. Was a lot more impressive than it looks now. =P

Might have been 1992 - the last one.