NEurope
Rummy

Sherlock

There's a bit more to it than that.

Think about the ending of the episode. Which two people wanted to work out what the code was? And who did they need to solve it?

You're going to have to spell it out for me. All I know is my amazing conclusion didn't happen.

Wow, that was outstanding. There was stimulating dialogue every second. Benedict Cumberbatch might just be the best actor I've ever seen.

Can't wait for next week's! The Hound of the Baskervilles is quite a simple story, so it will be interesting to see how they make it fit this modern one.

You're going to have to spell it out for me. All I know is my amazing conclusion didn't happen.

To put it simply, Moriarty got a phone call from Irene, she got some very sensitive information from someone, but in code form - and some of the best people can't work it out.

This code, being from the secret service, is of vast interest to Moriarty. However, Irene needs someone with a mind like Sherlock's to work it out. Moriarty lets Sherlock go in order for Irene to trick him into working out the code for them.

Is that it? I thought you meant something more hidden. Either way, a poor way to start/finish a cliffhanger.

I thought that episode was better than the last series in its entirety.

I didn't even realise how long it was until it had finished and I saw how much time had passed. I was fully engrossed the entire time. Superb writing and acting :)

Yeah, it was amazing. Best thing I’ve seen on TV for quite a while. I’d almost say: “Doctor, step aside! There’s a new gentleman in town!†I’ll be content if Sherlock Holmes 2 is half as good as this. And damn, that Lara Pulver was sexy! Anyway, I need this on blu-ray.

Yeah, it was bloody excellent. Some of the transitions in it were ace, too. They must have had so much fun filming it. At this point in time I'm bored of Doctor Who's happy weirdness and this is definitely more substantial, a little grittier.

Yeah, it was amazing. Best thing I’ve seen on TV for quite a while. I’d almost say: “Doctor, step aside! There’s a new gentleman in town!†I’ll be content if Sherlock Holmes 2 is half as good as this. And damn, that Lara Pulver was sexy! Anyway, I need this on blu-ray.

I watched Sherlock 2 a couple of days before this and they both hold up quite well against each other. Both are better in certain areas but I couldn't pick a winner between them.

Though... we have to talk about the last two minutes.

Irene Adler has ALWAYS been the woman who outsmarted Sherlock.

And in this, she needed rescuing from some stereotypical terrorists with big swords. She became a damsal in distress.

OR.

Did you still outsmart Sherlock? Did she always know he would come for her? Was she still using him, without her knowing?

I guess we'll never know. But I've seen a lot of discussion about Moffat's interpretation of Adler. The gay dominatrix angle was actually really interesting, but she changed character a bit toward the end.

Edited by Hamishmash

Yeah she definitely became less capable towards the end. If Sherlock was able to infiltrate a terrorist group and save her, surely she could've gotten out herself?

If it turned out to be part of something bigger, that she had to convince him that she loved him for something bigger that they need him for later... then it'd be ok. At the moment it does seem like a big change in character.

This is good then? I'll have to start watching it, in the stories Adler only appears once with a victory that I didn't find very impressive. But they gave the impression that she was very capable so I kinda want to see what she can do now :p

Her eyes were filled with tears, and she sent a "goodbye Mr Holmes" text. If she was smirking or calm about it, or checking her watch or something. I think I would have been happier. But she came across as far less capable then her 1891 counterpart, which is a bit shocking for something made in 2012.

Part of me is glad that I actually know nothing about the originals.

I thought this was pretty flawless. Yes, the plot was a bit Batman Begins, but altogether everything worked well.

And my future husband, Russell Tovey, acted his little socks off, so I am very proud of him. [/not a stalker promise]

I really liked it. Not as good as last weeks. The client spoiled it a little bit.

I really liked it. Not as good as last weeks. The client spoiled it a little bit.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!

14wd3yw.jpg

There there Russell. Don't believe what the bad man says.

2reo007.jpg

Hmm, I generally enjoyed it, but some things didn't feel quite right to me:

* It seemed a bit far-fetched that Holmes and Watson could gain access to the base so easily... but then it made sense when I thought about it.

* Sherlock being so unsettled when he saw the Hound was out of character... but was eventually explained well enough.

* Hallucination seemed a bit obvious and lazy... but was actually a fair way of mimicking the way the dog seemed so scary in the original.

* Holmes trying to drug Watson seemed too harsh... but is actually continuing a theme that was in the Conan Doyle original (albeit in a more unpleasant way).

So maybe there was nothing wrong with it, it's just that the writer was ahead of me all the way. Absolutely loved the bit with the dogging.

I actually picked up on the whole "Cell Phone" moment, but that's only because I'm so used to "Camera Phone" being relentlessly used in all of Moffat's scripts like he wrote them all in 2003 and he's only just find use for them.

(And I know this was Gatiss but its the reason I spotted it.)

I enjoyed / wasn't as good as previous episodes.

I'm not sure why they made Russell Tovey do an accent he obviously wasn't comfortable doing. It just felt awkward and off.

I enjoyed / wasn't as good as previous episodes.

I'm not sure why they made Russell Tovey do an accent he obviously wasn't comfortable doing. It just felt awkward and off.

He did do a bit of "rich man voice".

I dunno, I don't think it was "bad" per say, just... clearly not his natural voice. Doesn't suit his face.

Again... not that I've studied his performances in minute detail or only watched Being Human and Him & Her because he was in it, no... not at all like that.

It's all really good stuff, the whole series so far (and this episode is no exception - even if it is a bit far fetched). Goes a long way towards washing out the bad taste of the crappy movies! :D

Russell Tovey needs to pin back his jug ears.

Awesome episode, though. I could nit pick but it yawn, it rocked.

Russell Tovey needs to pin back his jug ears.

Awesome episode, though. I could nit pick but it yawn, it rocked.

But... but... but they're gorgeous.... :weep:

I thought the bit where sherlock went into his 'palace' was a bit cheesy, but perhaps necessary. I also thought that the clues were a bit more tenuous than previous eps, and I thought that the drug angle was rather more obvious than the solution to previous episodes.

But I enjoyed it greatly! I'm reminded of the good days of Jonathan Creek... however I thought the BBC's "original british drama" plug before the episode was mildly erronerous, considering Hound of the Baskervilles kinda... exists already.

Sherlock Holmes complete works is available free on kindle, so at least I'll be able to read up on it all a bit more.

Also - shame it's only one episode left! Madness,

P.s. This post should be considered an entry to the Wesleyest Of The Year 2012 award.

But... but... but they're gorgeous.... :weep:

90% of that post was me just wanting to write 'jug ears', tbh.

I saw him the real world a couple months ago. He's surprisingly tall. Or short. I forget.