NEurope
Rummy

Sherlock

So, on BBC1 right now, I caught it by chance but I like what I see, and I'm not Sherlock Holmes fan at all really, though I guess I've never really bothered enough to be a fan.

Martin Freeman as Watson and Some Dude I Don't Know as Sherlock. Can't tell you much else.

Discuss it!

Whoa! I was very, very impressed with this. I've read every one of Conan Doyle's short stories + Hound of the Baskervilles, and this just nailed the relationship between Holmes and Watson. It's beautifully lit, sublimely acted, masterfully written and the main actor is like a young Alan Rickman. I bet he's the next Doctor Who.

Speaking of which, what is up with that programme? Sherlock showed what Steven Moffat's capable of and it made this year's series of Doctor Who look a bit pale and half-hearted.

But no, excellent stuff.

Did anyone else get major vibes of the Doctor in the portrayl of Sherlock?

Totally.

They managed to stretch out the poison scene they stole from The Princess Bride and make it last foreeeeeeever.

He did turn down Matt Smith as the role of Dr Watson.

"But he didn't have a chance in hell of getting it 'cos he was clearly more of a Sherlock Holmes than a Dr Watson. There was also something a bit barmy about him - and you don't actually want that for Dr Watson, you want someone a bit straighter."

Moffat added that he felt that Smith was "clamping down on his barminess" for the audition.

He added: "Oddly enough, I wrote an email where I said, 'I saw this guy today for Dr Watson and I'd noticed he was on the list for Doctor Who' - so the Doctor did flip through my head at that time."

I'm beginning to feel like I missed out on something pretty awesome here.

iPlayer, lend me your power!

The Observer said that the show resembled "a cross between Withnail and I and The Bourne Ultimatum, there is also a hint of Doctor Who about the drama.

That was, quite frankly, brilliant. I'm massively impressed. Excellent casting and a tight script; funny, sharp, crushing. Didn't take itself too seriously. Loved it.

"I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high functioning socio-path!"

The best thing I've seen on television this year.

I knew there was something about the rapid speech style that I couldn't quite place, now I realise it was like the doctor! I'm not much a fan of the doctor who-ing, but I did quite like this, and I'm interested to see where it goes. Quite liking Martin Freeman as well! The villainous plot twist was a bit obvious as to who would be the culprit to me, though I didn't expect the character to be as they had made him, but it did irk me somewhat how apparently everyone else was so totally naiive to the obvious possibility of the perpetrator. Otherwise though, quite impressive. I'll probably try and catch next week's, although I think it's going to be one of those things I like, but don't go massively out of my way to see.

Edited by Rummy

It was things like "Oh, that's clever. That's very clever. Why's that clever?" that made it hit me as Doctorish

Another outstanding episode tonight, I felt, totally faithful to Conan Doyle's books. My favourite scene was the fight with Golem in the planetarium.

Better than last episode, which I thought was a bit turd, but I can't help but feel an hour and a half is just too long.

I thought tonights episode was really good!

I didn't really watch the first episode because I wasn't too convinced by the adverts/interviews I'd seen leading up to it.

The second episode I watched the first 40mins or so, but the story didn't really hold me interest.

This one however was much better, I watched and enjoyed all 90 mins of it... and a cliff hanger ending to boot! (what ever that means!)

Updated Sherlock

"There will be more," producer Sue Vertue told the BBC's Breakfast programme. "We're having a meeting to talk about how many and when."

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson, Sherlock has been a ratings hit for BBC One.

More than seven million people tuned in to see Sunday's dramatic cliffhanger.

Based on stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the 90-minute specials were written by Mark Gatiss, Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat.

Moffat - lead writer and executive producer on Doctor Who - said there would "definitely" be more instalments in the future.

"Steven and Mark are very busy - Steven is obviously doing Doctor Who as well - so it's just when we're going to do them," said Vertue.

Moffat, her husband, also confirmed that any future instalments would remain 90 minutes long.

Just watched the first two on iPlayer. About to watch the third.

It was things like "Oh, that's clever. That's very clever. Why's that clever?" that made it hit me as Doctorish

To be fair Holmes came before the Doctor (None of that timey whimey shit please) They just made him younger and more relaxed.

Just watched the first two on iPlayer. About to watch the third.

To be fair Holmes came before the Doctor (None of that timey whimey shit please) They just made him younger and more relaxed.

I wasn't talking about the concept, I was talking about the movements and mannerisms which, in the first episode, were very similar to the Doctor as portrayed by Matt Smith and bits of David Tennant's. Didn't really get vibes of any other Doctor

I wasn't talking about the concept, I was talking about the movements and mannerisms which, in the first episode, were very similar to the Doctor as portrayed by Matt Smith and bits of David Tennant's. Didn't really get vibes of any other Doctor

I gathered that. I was referring to the mannerisms also.

Also, did that bloke by the pool tell Holmes to fuck off?

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

*walks into the firing line*

Saw the last one on Sunday and meh. It was like House with no charm.

The length couldn't have helped cause it just seemed like no case had any real significance other than to show how clever sherlock is (is people have mentioned quite dr who-ish). I know the cases were linked towards the reveal at the end but all it said was he had been following sherlock rather than hint towards who it was. Plus giving the "big bad" a silly speech pattern doesn't seem like the best route.

Anyone watched the latest episode?

I thought it was absolutely brilliant, and I'm sure there were many, many things that I missed (I just now realised what the resolution of the cliffhanger at the start was all about). I love the style of it, and the acting is extremely top-notch. Especially Freeman - his facial expressions were spot on. Great writing, amazing characters, brilliant direction and lots of wonderful acting.

Easily the best thing I've seen on TV all year.

Anyone watched the latest episode?

I did! :)

And echoing your post it's easily the best thing I've seen on TV all year really setting the bar quite high for 2012 as I don't expect anything else to beat it.

Pure brilliance. :D

Every scene with Sherlock and Mycroft was amazing.

"I'll be mother."

"And there and entire childhood in a nutshell."

The conclusion of last series cliffhanger was complete bullshit... Saved by the Bee Gees?!

There's a bit more to it than that.

Think about the ending of the episode. Which two people wanted to work out what the code was? And who did they need to solve it?