Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mario Tennis/Golf GBC

300px-MarioTennisGBC.jpg300px-MGGBC.jpg

Man they got it so right! Why haven't they ever included the RPG-like story mode in any of the other Mario Sports titles? It would be particularly apt now with the Miis but...come on.

So yeah, this ramble was mostly just a ramble but did anyone else love these games?

I remember putting a ridiculous amount of time into Mario Tennis. Loved it. As you say, I too don't understand why they haven't used the RPG story element in the other Mario Tennis games as it was enjoyable. It gave the game a purpose outside of just single matches, and while the recent games have other modes they still feel lacking in comparison to the original.

So yeh, they got it so right with that game but haven't come close to it since, at least in my eyes.

As for Mario Golf, unfortunately I don't remember playing that. At least I don't think I did. I know I had some form of golfing games on the Gameboy that wasn't for the Color but don't remember what it is.

I have them both on GBC and loved them both- in fact I was just thinking about them the other day! Personally, Mario Golf was my favourite (maybe as it came out first) and I put so many hours into it... getting close to maxing out my character. He's almost unusable as I kept pumping the level ups into his drive which in turn destroyed his accuracy. :laughing: I love Mario Tennis too but it takes so much more work to make characters that can compete in Mario Tennis 64 compared to what it was like with Mario Golf. (btw how sucky is it that we miss out on unlockables on Mario Tennis 64 on the VC due to the lack of link up!)

I played both the GBA updates but I didn't have any motivation to buy them and put the same energy into them after the GBC versions. It would be great to see new versions for the 3DS though. After skipping the DS, the time is ripe for more sporting RPGs.

I had the very old-skool brick Gameboy versions where mario was the ref in tennis (boy how I loved that game...) and golf was quite a perplexing game to play for a 8 year old kid. Always wanted the Color ones but they were always quite expensive. I used to routinely borrow Mario Tennis for the N64, to the point where the guy at the video rental store would see me and know what I was after, and even would let me have it for a 10-day holiday at my nan's for the price of a day. I once even 'accidentally' put the wrong game in the case (mission impossible) in order to get more gametime with it.