N-Europe

Does anyone actually enjoy the WW Triforce hunt?

I also didn't like how it was basically all the same, I think Nintendo made up for their mistake with Zelda TP by having an interesting castle before encountering Ganondorf.

It wasn't the best, but it was still a vast improvement. Look forward to seeing what they pull off in Skyward Sword.

Can't say I agree. The Hyrule castle in TP is the definition of tedious. At least the WW one felt actually complete.

Though hopefully, we can all agree that OoT had the best approach to a "Final Dungeon" in the entire series.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though hopefully, we can all agree that OoT had the best approach to a "Final Dungeon" in the entire series.

No arguments from me!

I've played Wind Waker 3 or 4 times and, on reflection, the most tedious aspect of the game is the two co-op dungeons. The Wind Temple was just a bit irritating because of the design. The Earth Temple had fantastic Mirror Shield puzzles, but was hampered by the fact you had to control your companion.

Don't get me wrong, it was an ambitious idea, ahead of its time; but I think having to play a song to take control of your companion, then only being able to control one at a time, and finally, having to collect her from a specific location if she got "caught" all made the dungeon take a very long time, especially if you wanted all the items.

Now, co-op is not something I'd like to see return in this manner, but imagine if artificial intelligence became good enough that your companions would look after themselves and get into the correct positions. That might be something appealing for Zelda on the "Wii 2".

Sad to say but I disagree with you on that, MM had it. A weird yet unique final area, which simply allowed you to either go the long way or the hard way. And the long way truly challenged you into putting all your gaming skills into the test to prove that you deserved that final mask.

Sad to say but I disagree with you on that, MM had it. A weird yet unique final area, which simply allowed you to either go the long way or the hard way. And the long way truly challenged you into putting all your gaming skills into the test to prove that you deserved that final mask.

MM's final dungeon was a great one, but I didn't like the fact that it was basically optional.

Still, when it comes to ambience, it's completely unmatched.

I've played Wind Waker 3 or 4 times and, on reflection, the most tedious aspect of the game is the two co-op dungeons. The Wind Temple was just a bit irritating because of the design. The Earth Temple had fantastic Mirror Shield puzzles, but was hampered by the fact you had to control your companion.

Don't get me wrong, it was an ambitious idea, ahead of its time; but I think having to play a song to take control of your companion, then only being able to control one at a time, and finally, having to collect her from a specific location if she got "caught" all made the dungeon take a very long time, especially if you wanted all the items.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think protecting those allies spiked the difficulty on an otherwise easy game, so it kept things interesting. Plus, from a gameplay perspective, the Wind Temple is my favourite in the game (because I tend to like the hardest ones)

Now the Forsaken Fortress at the beginning, that was the only part I thought was genuinely dull.

Wind Waker's last dungeon was a good way for gamers, like myself to prepare for the last battle. It made sure you remembered what you learned in the game, testing skills as such.

But it didn't test the skill as much as Majora's Mask did. 4 "optional" tests which really did test your skills in transformation and non-tranformation. Something i really won't forget. You didn't have to do the 4 tests, but it helped the final battle a lot if you did (it is more challenging beating Majora without the final mask).

Mass reply post.

I enjoyed the fact that the game was offering something other than "enter a dungeon, grab the item, use it to defeat the boss"

In this case it was "Spend 30 hours nipping into a few places, grab something that will let you get to the boss"

Huh? First time I've seen WW's world being referred to as "soulless". Empty, maybe, but the NPCs that existed were memorable, no?

No. I honestly can't remember any. Except Tetra who I can't stop thinking of as a man. Adding to the soulless feel was the black and white first impression of Hyrule Castle, at the bottom of the sea with the dirt. Like Waterworld.

But oddly, I keep putting off going back to Majora's Mask. Had it for over a year now, spent about five hours on it and completed one dungeon. I think it strikes me as the sort of game I HAVE to put some significant time into with every time I boot it up. Thus I have to be in THE mood before I even consider going on it.

But yeah, I REALLY need to give it a proper play. Gone on it so little, I don't even know what I think of it yet.

You really do have to be in the mood to play this. Unlike other Zelda's there is a proper schedule you need to memorize, if you leave it too long between playtimes [unlike other Zelda titles where it wouldn't be a problem] you're fucked. But it's such an awesome game, you can't really tear yourself away from it for long.

I meant the high seas. It's one thing to have a seaside view, it's another to be stranded in the middle of the ocean with just a tiny piece of land in the horizon. The feeling of isolation is immensely peaceful.

Isolation may be peaceful to some, but boring to others. In this case it was boring as fuck.

Also with the changing wind taking a grip on your sail...really enhanced the illusion of actually sailing in the ocean.

A wind you change using the Wind Waker. It's like having to press a shitload of buttons just to walk slowly in the intended direction.

But the island locations don't conform neatly to the eight compass directions. Therefore, you wouldn't be able to literally "leave it and make a coffee".

If you want to be pedantic, movement in the N64 games comes down to "pushing a stick". All the games need you to be there deciding where to go, so I don't see the point being petty about it.

I do agree the "leaving to make a coffee" statement is a bit silly [i'm a tea man myself] But you're making it sound as if you prefer changing direction twice [more] as opposed to just "pushing a stick" in the right direction?

With regards to the original question: No. I fucking hated it. You got maps, after paying Tingle [a character who I've never really liked and never thought he deserved his own game] money to crack the shit, for you to sail to a point in the middle of nowhere to "fish" and get a piece.

The main part of this was the 50[?] level dungeon to get just one piece. The bullshit was only lessened by the piss poor easy combat system, which basically meant doing nothing until the parry[?] thing lit up. I beat Ganon by pure button bashing.

I do agree the "leaving to make a coffee" statement is a bit silly [i'm a tea man myself] But you're making it sound as if you prefer changing direction twice [more] as opposed to just "pushing a stick" in the right direction?

I don't necessarily prefer it, it's just that sailing was the theme of the game, and it did it well.

Plus Majora is pretty much the only difficult final boss in a 3D Zelda.

No way, definitely the easiest boss ever. At least with the Fierce Deity Mask. :p

Still not too hard without the mask either. It also had a whopping 6 bottles in the game making dying quite impossible.

Edited by Sheikah